Russians Making A Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/4407183.html

MOSCOW — Russian authorities pulled hundreds of opposition activists off buses and trains and detained them along with scores of others on Saturday ahead of a rare anti-government rally in Moscow, organizers said.

The police action did not prevent more than 2,000 people from gathering in a central square, where leftist and liberal groups demanded that Russian President Vladimir Putin stop what they called Russia's retreat from democracy.

"In 15 months political power will be changed," said Mikhail Kasyanov, a former prime minister who is now an opposition leader, referring to the March 2008 presidential election.

"Next year everyone should make a personal decision about what to do with our country _ whether we allow these people to continue their illegal undertakings ... or we finally make our main goal to build a democratic and socially oriented state," Kasyanov told demonstrators.

Garry Kasparov, the former chess grand master who has emerged as one of the Kremlin's most prominent critics, said the mere fact that the rally took place made it a success, given the efforts by authorities to stop it.

"We are protesting and it means that authorities are not as monolithic and powerful" as they believe, he said. "They are afraid that one day we will tell them 'enough.'"

The demonstrators chanted "Freedom" and held banners reading "No to Police State" and "Russia Without Putin."

Good for them.

And good luck to them.

I hope they haven't already been shipped to Siberia.

This Putin is really turning out to be a hump.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
billythrilly7th said:
I hope they haven't already been shipped to Siberia.

More likely, evidence will be "discovered" that Kasyanov is the mastermind behind a child prostitution ring, or something equally dispicable, effectively taking him out of the equation and causing his followers to be embarassed by their association with him.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
tourdeforce said:
This attitude is even starting to catch on in America.

Someone should put together a scorecard comparing US government with Russian government. I think we've got them beat on "extraordinary rendition". Russia doesn't do that. They torture them in the basement. But otherwise, it would be curious to compare scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.