Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, I think to an extent we can only have so many sub-forums before this place turns into a database maze. I mean, after a while, isn't it like having SCI-FI/FANTASY > Epic Fantasy > Epic Urban Fantasy > Epic Classic Fantasy > Epic Gothic Fantasy > Gothic Fantasy.....and so on.

Actually, I'd love to have an Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance forum since iit doesn't really fall into straight Sci-Fi or Fantasy. It's one of those genres that is extremely popular and can fall into several of the main forums depending on the focus of the story, such as SF/F, Romance, Horror, or even Erotica.

Besides, I'm still boycotting a certain forum until further notice. :tongue

Deleted member 42

Urban fantasy is fantasy; paranormal romance is romance.

Think about where the books are shelved.

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a member of other message boards that have nothing to do with religion, but if the topic of religion somehow comes up, members of the group who are evangelical christian fundamentalists will totally dominate the discussion by cutting and pasting Bible quotes into their messages and telling the other members they are bound for damnation, etc. Ultimately, I think it's not worth it to start this kind of discussion. Mainly, b/c it's not a discussion where views are exchanged. Fundamentalists are not interested in hearing other views so much as they are interested in preaching and converting.

There are a lot of religious folk in just about every writing forum on the net. I'm afraid to make someone religious a bad guy in a story -- and that means I can't write truthfully at times and that means I may as well shut up.

I've browsed a couple of atheist websites and found the only topic that unites their denizens is something like "all religious people are really dumb."

If the conversation could get off this one track, it might be interesting. I like considering that religious and scientific impulses are related to story-telling's root cause. Of the three related books to come out recently, I like Dennett over Dawkins and Harris.

I agree that "other" does not work as a forum heading, but "non-religious" might; even better is "decline to state."

Yes, I would really like to see AW and other writers' forums include Decline To State as a sub-forum in the religious area. (Even the census bureau offers this choice now, I think.)

And hopefully the forum's rules would make it clear that preaching is not welcome. Moderating might be quite a challenge, since some missionaries would make a point of making a point at every opportunity.

I would also enjoy a second philosophical forum, especially if it got into existentialism, po mo, varieties of lit theory, roots of symbolism and myth, etc. It might be called the Theory Forum.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
We do have areas like these

I would also enjoy a second philosophical forum, especially if it got into existentialism, po mo, varieties of lit theory, roots of symbolism and myth, etc. It might be called the Theory Forum.

The board has that in "Critical Theory and Philosophy of Language" which is under Pop Culture.

I'm a member of other message boards that have nothing to do with religion, but if the topic of religion somehow comes up, members of the group who are evangelical christian fundamentalists will totally dominate the discussion by cutting and pasting Bible quotes into their messages and telling the other members they are bound for damnation, etc. Ultimately, I think it's not worth it to start this kind of discussion. Mainly, b/c it's not a discussion where views are exchanged. Fundamentalists are not interested in hearing other views so much as they are interested in preaching and converting.

There is an area for Non-Theistic religion or even irreligious irreligion in The Atheist...etc. area under "Religious and Spiritual Writing" (oddly enough) BUT...you can probably be relatively non-religious in the "Critical Theory...." area.

Status
Not open for further replies.