• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fairbank Literary Representation

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Kellie, what became of their request to see more of your work? I emailed a query this morning for my historical fiction (set in the 1920s). I'll be sure to post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

LiliVonShtupp

Registered
Reaction score
I've sat on writing this for a while, but I feel like my experience could help someone else not make the same mistakes (?) I did. I was repped by Fairbank--she was enthusiastic, and is a great agent for those whose books sell, I think. Mine didn't. Good book, just didn't sell, it happens. We talked about another book for me, as when I signed, she assured me that she's in a writer's career for the long haul. Now, I 1000% get that an author who is not selling is way down the totem pole from one who is, so I understood my lack of importance in the hierarchy of her time. But the responses to my emails became longer and longer between, to the point where two months was a standard length to any sort of communication. On our last phone call, she'd asked me to write something up for the next book. I had to finish a book for a publisher, and I told her I'd do the proposal as soon as the book was turned in, and i did just that, doing it was fast as I could. A couple of months passed with not even an acknowledgment she'd recieved my materials. I checked in--no response. Another month, I checked in to see if she'd even gotten the document--no response. At this point, I was pretty frustrated, and felt angry with myself that I'd just accepted that it should take months to get an email from my agent. I finally sent an inquiry asking if she still wanted to rep me--you guessed it, no response. So that was my experience with this agency. I was sad; she's great by all reports, and if I'd just been dropped, I wouldn't have felt angry, just sad, you know? I just wish I had been treated like an adult and dropped instead of this weird slow fade that wasted months of my time. I'm sure if your book sells, the experience is vastly different. Good luck out there!

kdmaz

Registered
Reaction score
I‘ve been repped by Sorche since 2019. My experience has been very good, several books sold to a top five publisher. I saw what was posted above and I’m sorry that happened to that author, that doesn’t match my experience at all. My experience has only been good. Sorche has a terrific business sense and often has new insights and ways of approaching subjects.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, @kdmaz, and thanks for sharing your experience.

If you take a look at the date of the post above yours, the person who had a less than stellar experience with Sorche was ghosted by them about eight years ago. If Sorche is still in business, then it's unsurprising they've improved their business practices since that time.

I encourage you to go to the New Members section and make an introductory post! We'd love to get to know you a bit better.