• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bob Mecoy Literary Agency (formerly Creative Book Services)

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Bob lately? He's usually pretty good about replying to my emails, but I haven't hear anything in about a month.

dda27101

Banned
Reaction score
A mutual acquaintance introduced me to Bob. Sent him the Q+S and he asked for the full. Came back with some cuts and changes. Done those and he offered representation.
I really enjoy working with him—a no nonsense guy with plenty of editorial experience.
Plans are to send it out soon. Keeping fingers crossed.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
A mutual acquaintance introduced me to Bob. Sent him the Q+S and he asked for the full. Came back with some cuts and changes. Done those and he offered representation.
I really enjoy working with him—a no nonsense guy with plenty of editorial experience.

Congrats! He has certainly made my MSs stronger with his feedback and editorial experience.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Congrats! I hope you hear good news soon. What sort of book is it?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Do let us know when to expect to see it. :)

dda27101

Banned
Reaction score
Update.
Bob went to BEA and pitched my book. Got some big pubs interested and is sending it out this week.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful. Here's hoping for a good offer for you.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to find any information on him.

According to this, he no longer represents fantasy or science fiction.
https://webcache.googleusercontent....59+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=kr&client=firefox-b

All my books he's repped are SF/F or Horror. (Though he is not as well-connected on the Horror front, but he's okay with Horror elements in other genres.)

Also not certain about the "no romance" as he reps Paige Tyler and did (or still does) rep Maria Snyder - both of whom have work that skirts very close to Romance. (Could be no category romance, only romance elements.)

From working with him I'd say he's what folks like to call an "editorial" agent: he'll offer detailed feedback on a manuscript if he's interested in it. He doesn't insist on being involved with a project though. (My Touch novellas were a project I developed on my own and he helped with contract negotiation, but didn't have much to add at the pre-submission stage.) He's also friendly and encouraging, but he can also be blunt about things that aren't working for him. He's been fairly prompt about responding to communication, but doesn't usually initiate it unless he's got news to share. (And, of course, he may handle other authors differently - this is just my assessment of how he and I work together.)

But that info about him not considering SF/F is not accurate.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Address update on Bob Mecoy

An update on Bob Mecoy's mailing address (his old one is still on his website, unfortunately. I should mention that to him):

Bob Mecoy
Creative Book Services
275 Seventh Ave, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10001

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
For anyone considering Bob Mecoy, know that in at least one recent incident, he *forgot* to send in a signed subsidiary rights contract, and never sent a mms to an editor on the lookout for it.

He's had a family emergency this year, so I'd cut him slack on that. But this behavior has been going on for a couple of years at least.