Wild Rose Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I read about this romance publisher in the "Sharing Leads" forum. They've asked to see my full manuscript. Has anyone dealt with them?

Thanks!

Scarlett Sanderson

Hi,

I've dealt with The Wild Rose Press. As veinglory said, they are are a small press, but very welcoming and helpful.

Any questions you have, please ask, I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

All the best,

Scarlett

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Scarlett! I'm wondering how long it took for you to get an answer once you submitted your full manuscript. And are you pleased with your sales?

Scarlett Sanderson

seaaircarol said:
Thanks, Scarlett! I'm wondering how long it took for you to get an answer once you submitted your full manuscript. And are you pleased with your sales?

It took merely a few weeks to get my full 'script looked at. This was before a holiday season though, and when they had less 'scripts. I think they say the turn over time is 12 weeks. A lot of the time it is less than that, but they try to get to them before 12 weeks.

They are 'closed' for the holidays now. I have another manuscript in and my editor told me it'll be after the holidays.

I'm pleased with The Wild Rose Press service. Although they are a small publishing house, there editing standards are wonderful. I haven't had any sales feedback yet (my first book went on sale December 1st), but other authors had given wonderful reports.

I hope this helps, and I haven't rambled too much.

Good luck on the submission!

If you need anything else, please just ask :)

All the best, Scarlett

ElleF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
members.aol.com
I queried them late October. They asked to see my Rosette. It took about 6 weeks for them to get back to me asking for a few small revisions. That was about a week ago, so we'll see what happens.

I know some authors with them, and they are quite happy. I've never heard anything negetive.

Good luck!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much, Scarlett and Elle! Good luck to both of you.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Scarlett, Elle,
Any new updates on Wild Rose Press? I have a request for a full, but I'm waiting till she mails me the first three chapters with her edits.

I'm wondering how well they promote their books, and whether sales are respectable.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have no sales figures for them specifically. Erotic romance books in general sell in the range of 300 in the first year and much less after that.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As far as I am aware Wild Rose published only in ebook format

Edited to add: my bad, they take 55,000 words and over to print which will be available from the publisher and amazon website. I would not anticipate average sales over the figues I gave. Generally e-PODs and e-only sell comparable amounts unless they have distribution to the physical store (e.g. Ellora's Cave, New Concepts Press)

Last edited:

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
I have to say they are very quick in turn around and very helpful. Their approach to their authors is very refreshing. Per my sig I have 3 books coming out and so far I love being with them. My editor is very helpful they have weekly chats and keep the authors updated on everything. They do ebooks but anything 55k and up is sent to print. They also have a new 'printer' they are going through which will allow their print books to be available through Barnes and Noble.

So far this company has been very professional and I'm hoping they are in it for the long haul.

Scarlett Sanderson

Scarlett, Elle,
Any new updates on Wild Rose Press? I have a request for a full, but I'm waiting till she mails me the first three chapters with her edits.

I'm wondering how well they promote their books, and whether sales are respectable.

New updates - they are calling for submissions in a number of 'lines'.

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=367e3e52a51cdd70fbc371d226423ccd

I have no problems with how they promote, or my sales. I will say that the more promotion you do for yourself, the better. But that goes for anything really :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The following comments don't relate specifically to Wild Rose Press, about which I know very little:

My figures suggest that the greatest predictor of, and limitation to, sales is the publisher. Figures from a given romance e/POD publisher are remarkably similar across authors with very disparate promotions approaches. Author promo It is a factor, but it is not *the* factor by any means.

Of course I would be interested in receiving sales reports for this publisher for my EREC reports. I have had authors very happy with their sales turn out to have sold less than 20 copies, under the impression this was above average.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I'd appreciate it. E-pubs that do well deserve promotion. There's about 50 out there just from erotic romance so authors have a lot to consider.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have my contract signed and sitting at home. I forgot to bring it with me to mail it!

Wouldn't you know, Miss Snark just had a comment today about author mills, where they have a huge stable of authors and only a few sales for each author. I don't think Wild Rose would fall into this category, since they do have certain editorial standards and don't accept absolutely everything that's sent to them.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Robyn, Scarlett, I'm looking forward to hearing how your sales progress. I'll probably also need help with the yahoo group they want us to join. I haven't figured that out yet - all the user names I want to use seem to be already assigned. I also don't have a decent picture of myself for the Marketing Department!

Veinglory, as usual, you're a wealth of information. Good luck with King of Dragons.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
She beat me to it :). I have a blog post drafted on the extent to which some epublishers blur the line to authors mills (few sales per author, multiple releases per week). An epub that goes for "bulk" isn;t necessarily bad but authors with them need to have realistic expectations re: sales c.f. a small press that invests heavily in each author. Some epubs don't go for the bulk: approach--e.g. mojocastle.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I signed the contract, sent it and provided my details to their marketing department. My profile is already up, with the announcement of my upcoming book. Looks like they'll keep the title: The Space Between. I sent an update of my edits to the editor and I'm waiting for feedback on the second half of the book. I also have to increase the word count for it to go to print, but that shouldn't be a problem.

My profile's under the name Sandra Cormier. There. I said it. Now everyone knows my real identity! I'll look yours up, Robyn and Scarlett!

Oh, and I accidentally created my own blog while I was joining WRP's. It's called ChumpletWrites. One abysmal post so far. Enjoy.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also working on requested full from Wild Rose. On the 6th of this month they asked for a few revisions on the first three chapters, then this morning apparently liking how I handle the revisions asked for the rest. It will probably be a few more days before I submit the full, but I'm glad to hear this is an easy company to work with.

Congratulations Sandra. That's my name also. Hopefully I'll be joining you as a published writer soon. :)

Sandy

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
Question: some of you have mentioned that they asked for/looked at edits on your first 3 chapters before requesting the full ms. I had never heard of that practice before, from any other agents or publishers.

I queried them about 3 weeks ago with my 56K word novel and they requested a partial. Then 3 days ago they requested the full ms. without saying anything else. Should I take that as a good sign?

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I guess that's a good sign, but it might be the preference of the individual editor. In my case, the editor emailed me with a request for the full, and at the same time informed me that she had gone over the partial and was going to mail me her suggestions. This was before she offered the contract. I suppose it could have gone either way -- maybe she just wanted to make sure we were on the same page before I sent the full.

This is the first time I ever submitted to an editor. The same editor rejected a friend's manuscript, but offered detailed comments and invited the author to submit again if the changes had been implemented. The author is going for it, revising her manuscript in order to resubmit.

Status
Not open for further replies.