When to Follow Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I've had only bad experiences with following up on manuscripts holed up endlessly in the offices of agents who requested them. These range from "I just sent you the rejection yesterday" to "I rejected that last month, didn't you get my note?" to a rejection the next day to no reply at all.

Right now I've got fulls and partials with six agents anywhere from four weeks to four months.

I know it's a deal killer to follow up but it's killing me not to. Anyone have any good experiences following up to share?

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Don't follow up. Move on, work on other projects. Something good can still come of it and if it doesn't you've moved on.

I had something with an editor for such a long time that I just assumed she didn't like it. Then one day out of the blue she called and said she wanted to work with me.

Editors are busy people...

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
janetbellinger said:
I've never had good luck with following up.

I imagine that it would become bothersome/tiresome to those youre following up with.

As was said above, move on and wait it out. Maybe take the time to tighten up what you originally sent out.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well I know this makes things confusing, but I had a good experience following up. Two months after submitting my full MS to an agency I called just to see what was up. The assistant on the phone was geniunely perplexed and said she'd talk to the agent. I then got an email that day from the agent apologising for the delay, and that she would finish the MS over the weekend. She did, had a few editorial comments, and to make a very long story short she is now my agent. I think if they are going to reject you they will anyway. I don't think if they like the story and you call and very polietly, with no pressure, make a simple enquiry, that they will automatically reject you. Just remember to wait for a good period of time, and if you do inquire, be polite and short.

Status
Not open for further replies.