• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Help with writers' DUH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
(I had a glance at other posts here and didn't see similar mentions to my duh problem). It is a block of sorts.

After extended periods of writing, I get to the point where I have trouble reading and forming sentences. Putting several paras together contiguously--making a sensible flow, I have difficulties. Even spelling gets difficult. Like there's a blank.

Wooo, I know how it sounds--have I checked with my GP--bits of brain falling out my ear? (I'll probably get an affirmative from a passing GP that falling bits are the next and fatal stage!). But R&R here and time out and I feel better, even if some of my initial posts are excruciatingly weird. It all helps me somehow.

All that said, the trouble shows up starkly when I change to other writing--like business letters, but I really have to push myself: reread, correct, reread.

So it's block, but not block. I can write, but my brain won't go, hence DUH. A rest I know I need and sure enough my wife has been telling me same for weeks. Anyone else got to the point where their brain's gone duh?

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you count obsessively trying to "ctrl+s" every time I'm about to try something risky (like get in the car with my SO), not really.

Why not try reading a good novel or something non-fiction to get the gears going again?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get to that point when I'm in a meeting with mechanical engineers for two hours . . .

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, chill out. Your couple of posts provided me a different focus.

Alleycat, I can think of something vaguely similar to the mech engineer example--well sort of similar :) Checking our bags at an airport, one item of our hand luggage was overweight and another underweight by the same amount.

Easy--the two equal themselves out.

Wrong, the checkin clerk had us on the airport floor finding something that was the right weight for the other bag.

All fixed, but next, passport control. We're dual nationals so we only had the passports of our destination. "How did we get into the country in the first place?" -- using our other passports...? Wooo, that's suspicious! So the plane was held up while checks were done. "Will the Slake family please board the plane!" Passports made the plane wait.

Engineers are real picky too. I used to be one and it bored the crap out of me. Engineers, checkins and passport control--my brain gets fried with the tedium.

Other suggestion: read novel. Right on!

Dario D.

Sounds like burn-out of sorts. If the feeling is what I think it is, your brain might just be getting down-right pooped, and trying to force relief upon itself by refusing to comply.

Sometimes, when I'm doing some computer activity (like work) that I just really, really, really am not into, my brain just starts dragging me out of it, and making it really difficult to focus, even though I want to get it done. Of course, every brain is different, and some may give you the slip in slightly different ways.

Do you find yourself getting distracted at all? Is your writing difficult, or something that is burning you out?

If so, then I recommend listening to your wife :) Take a break, and let yourself unwind.

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Have some special moments with your wife, take a few long walks, and then have more special moments with your wife. You just need to re-group. That isn't block, it's life.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, C Bronco and Dario D, I was just writing elsewhere to a person and concluded same, burnout--brain drags, get out, long walks, do something else.

So I've been getting out and that's helped. But there was problem I couldn't get around with my writing--the g'damn FU@#$#G synopsis:e2hammer:, and I'm being frugal with adjectives and smilies here.

Now that's being overcome, because I've been borrowing another writer's brilliant, lucid, inspiring and insightful brain--more adjectives :hooray::e2cheer::e2brows: :e2salute::e2woo: !!! I've broken free from my rut.

What's more my has wife's just come in to the room and made me a cup of tea!

Hehe, and I feel good.

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
Is that true? Leaving a project alone helps write it?

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Uh yeah. And Tony the tiger fid my home work for me.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
writerdog said:
Uh yeah. And Tony the tiger fid my home work for me.

Good for Tony! I have trouble keeping tigers. My pink elephants keep scaring them away.

I'm recovering from the duh! and yep, it was mainly burnout. Thanks all for your help and advice. U 2 writerdog! Best of luck with that homework!

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any at the moment. It was a joke.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
writerdog said:
I don't have any at the moment. It was a joke.

Wot, no tigers in Georgia?! Dagnabit pink elephants must be spreading fast. Maybe u meant homework. Pixies are good that.

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
I find ANYTHING that locks me up is best left alone for a while. Writing, editing, any challenging project. If I start going in circles I step away.

You know how sometimes you are trying to remember a name and it's DRIVING YOU NUTS but won't come to you? It's always three hours later, when you've dropped it entirely, and are watching Emeril Live... suddenly you shout "Tony Spignatelli, dammit!!!"

At which point your spouse checks your temperature.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I am missing something for that theory. A spouce.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
SLake said:
I was joking too. As writers we have to move through all kinds of weird and even go as far as square. Good one, Writerdog! :Clap:
I could have said rectangle.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
writerdog said:
I could have said rectangle.

Yer, so many shapes. That's a different angle, Writerdog. You had me thinking for a while there :)

MMcC said:
I find ANYTHING that locks me up is best left alone for a while. Writing, editing, any challenging project. If I start going in circles I step away.

You know how sometimes you are trying to remember a name and it's DRIVING YOU NUTS but won't come to you? It's always three hours later, when you've dropped it entirely, and are watching Emeril Live... suddenly you shout "Tony Spignatelli, dammit!!!"

Yeah, step away is good advice. And I've got a dictaphone because that "Tony Spig.." happens to me just as I'm falling asleep, so I'm whispering away while my wife's saying: "what? what?" Me: "shhh, shhh."

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Must put a damper on your sex life. lol.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Writer's Lego? Write with anything you got-even a computer-whatever the hell is going through your head-just write-no grammar-no thought-just write-see post about this in somewhere I cannot remember-like overcoming writers hernia-just write-laugh if you will-but this works-juices start to role and the blocks start building a nice little house/literarty work

Status
Not open for further replies.