Fairfax to place restrictions on feeding homeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=989803

That's the link. The reason I came back and posted this is that this is the time of year when people full of holiday cheer make lunches or dinners and take them to homeless shelters. I've done this. So suddenly my kitchen isn't safe for food prep although I've fed my family from that kitchen for years and no one has died or even become remotely ill.

Suddenly home cooking isn't 'good' enough. Pfbfffft!

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
We certainly wouldn't want food prepared in a kitchen that didn't have three sinks! Good heavens, think of the squalor.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=989803

That's the link. The reason I came back and posted this is that this is the time of year when people full of holiday cheer make lunches or dinners and take them to homeless shelters. I've done this. So suddenly my kitchen isn't safe for food prep although I've fed my family from that kitchen for years and no one has died or even become remotely ill.

Suddenly home cooking isn't 'good' enough. Pfbfffft!
I applaud you, seriously for thinking of the less fortunate. I can't speak for these people or their ignorance, so I'll just say "Do what you feel is right and it will all work out."

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
They may take our lives, but they'll never take... Our turkeys!!!

/dclary, who has both needed a soup kitchen, served in a soup kitchen, and donated to a soup kitchen in his day.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
dclary said:
dclary, who has both needed a soup kitchen, served in a soup kitchen, and donated to a soup kitchen in his day.
Dave, we seem to continue crossing over into each others karma. Both Marines, both homeless (me lots of times), enjoyed the finer things in life, and yet you share so much compassion for others that I'm stunned at times. You continue to amaze me, dude. Maybe we can swap more stories in the future? Good for you!

ETA: Once of the best decisions made around here was not to ban you for life. True enough.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Spooks, could be true. I am always amazed when others share and reveal they've had the same experiences. Basically, it's true: you never really are alone.

My life's been a crazy one, full of missed and made opportunities. But like you said, I made it this far. I owe it, I think, to the cosmic balance scales to try and help others make it too.

The subliminal messages help, too.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
People shouldn't eat out of dumpsters. That's what mongooses and raccoons are for. Duh.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth, maybe you could bring some non-perishables? I know it's probably not the same as cooking a meal for people. But I can't cook, so I would sometimes bring in some non-perishables and help them serve it.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
It could be worse. A Catholic Church in Sydney decided that feeding homeless people was 'not an appropriate use of church facilities'.

Mac

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
WTF?? So what IS an appropriate use of church facilities?
B I N G O! (and bingo was his name) -- now try getting that song out of your head tonight. hahhahahaaa....

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
There was a man who went to war and Rambo was his name-o
R A M B O
R A M B O
R A M B O
and rambo was his name-o!

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
My wife and I are again inviting a kid from Paris who is in a crappy situation to come and spend the Christmas holidays at our house. The number of sinks fortunately doesn't influence the decision and we are free to feed them my horrid Christmas food and they can participate in the normal family quarrels until members of the family get so het up they don't talk to each other for the rest of the year and join our kids who are so pumped up on sugar they are literally screaming for their presents and destroying the house before the main course comes out.

Ah the Christmas spirit. The kids who come are happy to have spent time with us (and probably happier to leave after).

Os.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Mac H. said:
It could be worse. A Catholic Church in Sydney decided that feeding homeless people was 'not an appropriate use of church facilities'.
It seemed to far fetched to be true, so I checked my notes.

Yep, it happened. (Not exactly as I said - it wasn't feeding homeless people precisely .. but it was providing meals to the public in a very poor community. Near enough in my book)

I don't have a reference googlable that uses those exact words (but they were used) but here's an interview around that time:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/enc/stories/s1152547.htm

Father Gerry Prindiville is also opposed to the community holding its twice-weekly sharing of the meal inside the church.
Mary McMahon: I know that the current priests don’t want us to be here,
doing what we’re doing today...
David Rutledge: ...which is the sharing of the meal?
Mary McMahon: ...sharing of the meal, which we do two days a week, on
Tuesdays and Fridays in the mornings. And we must have close to a hundred people
each time – and you can see people sit around and talk, it’s not just taking a
sandwich and going, or anything like that; it is a real sharing of the community
spirit. And that is Ted’s legacy, really – and they are very keen for us not to
be here, because they think that it’s not seemly.
David Rutledge: Have they made that plain?
Mary McMahon: They have actually said – well, one of them, Father Gerry
Prindiville, has said that he doesn’t think it’s appropriate that we are in the
church.

David Rutledge: .. and since that interview was recorded, the Sydney Archdiocese’s Charitable Works Fund has told the St Vincent’s community that it will be withdrawing its funding for the twice-weekly sharing of the meal at the church.
It made all the papers at the time ...

pell-cartoon.gif
http://church-mouse.lanuera.com/images/pell-cartoon.gif

Mac

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Jaycinth said:
www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=992162

AND.. faced with criticism from all sides...they CAVED!

Squeaky wheels folks...squeaky wheels.

Yippee!!!!
Good on you, Lady :D

I was quite sad until I read the latest article. I've brought food to the local shelter, too. I can't imagine not being able to. I go through my closet and bring over whatever hasn't been used in the last year, also--sweaters, jackets. I don't have a lot, but I'm damn well gonna share it. Isn't that the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.