Goals?

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i've got a bad attitude about the commodification of poetry. i didn't mean to derail your thread.
you didn't derail anything. your 'attitude' adds needed steam to our journey.
and it's sexy when such big words are used.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

wyzguy

Coprocephalic, at times.
Registered
Reaction score
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in
I usually write screenplays. It was recently suggested that writers all of types benefit from reading and writing poetry. It reminds us why we love words so much. I have since discovered it to be great avoidance behavior (I hope P. H. noticed) when I'm unwilling to confront a problem in a story.

I have benefited greatly by the comments and critiques on all threads. It has opened my eyes to a level of craft and skill I haven't seen before. Thanks to all.

PrettySpecialGal

roll, roll, roll in ze hay
Registered
Reaction score
I am with KTC and Neuro on this one- I write poetry as an exercise to write better prose. I am definitely in need of conciceness lessons (did I spell that right?)

I also write the occasional haiku or limerick to amaze and entertain my friends.
:)
hehe

The thing is, I used to hate poetry- never made sense to me why everyone was so crazy about it, most of the poetry I saw was too mushymushygoogoo, others in class never understood the connections I made with it personally-- so I brushed it off for a long time. Nowadays, I am reconsidering all of that because I now understand the great amount of discipline and understanding a poet must have in order to work his or her craft. I also understand that I don't have to like the traditional mushy things--
oh, geez- blahblahblah....I'm getting long winded again-- see? I do need that lesson...

poetry is hard
especially when you can't
keep your mouth quiet

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
PrettySpecialGal said:
oh, geez- blahblahblah....I'm getting long winded again-- see? I do need that lesson...
hehe....now go back to your post and take out all the prepositions. :D

Seriously though, I don't know that I have a "goal" to writing poetry. I write because the words are there. Maybe it is just to further my appreciation and love for words in general. IMO - poetry is the best form to frame the words and the images/feelings that the words invoke.

The fact that people might read and enjoy what I write is a bonus.