Come join the party!

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Another possibility - Podiobooks.com, if you can narrate your book you can post the chapters online and allow people to download it as podcasts. You're not going to make a lot of money off of it, though some of the authors seem to do pretty well, so perhaps its just a quality thing.

But if you haven't the plans to take your nano and submit to a regular publisher, cleaning it up and doing podiobooks is a lot of fun. I did it last year and had a blast

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
MarkButler said:
Another possibility - Podiobooks.com, if you can narrate your book you can post the chapters online and allow people to download it as podcasts. You're not going to make a lot of money off of it, though some of the authors seem to do pretty well, so perhaps its just a quality thing.

But if you haven't the plans to take your nano and submit to a regular publisher, cleaning it up and doing podiobooks is a lot of fun. I did it last year and had a blast

Why, what an interesting idea, Mark! Looks like people can rate it and comment too. I'm going to bookmark that and keep it in mind. Never know when it might be useful. Too far away from the end to consider for current project...

I wonder how a book posted out there would be considered from a "publication" standpoint? Could one post the work, continue to shop it and use download rates/feedback as a reference? Pull down the work if one decided to shop it?

Regardless, I think this is neat and love the idea of sharing works this way. Afterall, if I write something and stop shopping it, maybe someone would enjoy reading it for free and it wouldn't be just moldering in a storage box somewhere.... Thanks!

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
I have to think that anything that raises you above "I wrote a book" will help, just like publishing in magazines, active involvement in events that may not make money but raise visibility help.

In the cae of Podiobooks they track # of people signed up, ratings and donations..all of which could be used in the "about me" section of your proposal.

Plus it is fun! I had a blast narrating my book, trying to do different voices and make it sound exciting.. I recommend it to anyone.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
Good for you Snitch.

Uncle Jim was very valuable to me. The light finally clicked on with my children's writing. I'd been treating them like houses. They aren't. Children's books are like lime pies. Duh. If you're an UJ devotee, you know what I mean. ;)
Wow! I've not logged into the boards since the end of Nov! LOL. Thanks for the congrats, Soccer Mom.

And yes, I totally know what you mean, regarding the pies. No UJ devotee here, though. =^P Well... can't be one: I've not gotten passed whatever page I last stopped reading on (life and all that). LOL!

Ooh... talking of children's books... have 4 out with the company I work for. Hehehe.

Glad to hear you've gotten the break you were looking for in your children's writing. Hope to see your work on the shelves soon!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the one I had under consideration ended up being rejected. But this was a close call. I'm getting close. I still have one more under consideration. *crosses fingers*