My hero is using another author’s name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: I came up with this wonderful name; it rolls off the tongue like, “Bond, James Bond.”
After writing the novel, editing till insanity set in, I happened to google the name. It’s the name of a relatively successful mid-list author who I’d never heard about. (Looks like he writes good stuff, I’ll probably get a few of his books.)

Opinions please: is a major search-and-replace in order? How would you feel if someone used your, not overly common, name?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I'd be pretty bemused if someone used my name.

But many writers are pretty easy to contact these days, no? Can you email this guy, explain the issue, and see what he says before doing a massive namechange?

I doubt there's any legal need to, assuming you put in the standard "any similarity to people living or dead is coincidental" disclaimer. But given that we're all part of a community it seems like it'd be politeness...?

Last edited:

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
LOL. That happened to me. I Googled my real name, not the one I use here, and found a short story with me as the star. It was a horror. I emailed the author because I thought he would get a kick out of it. I wasn't upset.

I would change the name though. JMHO.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see that's a problem. But if it is, find and replace is not a major thing at all.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I don't see a problem with it. I'm fairly certain it was Witches of Sixkill by Karl Largent where he used my name (it was Markle back then).

We were speakers at a convention and he gave the book to me and signed the front something like, "Look on page *, you'll be pleasantly surprised."

When I go home Monday I'll check to see which book it was, the page number, and his wording on the front page. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised. :)

ETA: book and author

Last edited:

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting site that will tell you how many people in the US Census used that name:

http://ww2.howmanyofme.com/

James Bond
  • There are 1,048 people in the U.S. named James Bond.
(You also might be interested in how many share your own name, too.)

It says there are 481 people who have my name... I have actually met two of them in my area.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
When I was 13 I found Stuart Ullman in the phone book, called him and told him he was a character in The Stand....must've thought I was a nut. (perhaps correct)
Anyway,
don't worry about it. If you google your own name, you'll find others with it. I found a tobacco activist and erotic entertainer had mine.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Riddler said:
This is an interesting site that will tell you how many people in the US Census used that name:

James Bond
  • There are 1,048 people in the U.S. named James Bond.
(You also might be interested in how many share your own name, too.)

It says there are 481 people who have my name... I have actually met two of them in my area.

2970 people have my last name. 0 people have my first name.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
C.bronco said:
When I was 13 I found Stuart Ullman in the phone book, called him and told him he was a character in The Stand....must've thought I was a nut. (perhaps correct)
Anyway,
don't worry about it. If you google your own name, you'll find others with it. I found a tobacco activist and erotic entertainer had mine.

When I google my name I just find myself and an MP3 player.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
JohnB1988 said:
My hero is using another author's name!
I came up with this wonderful name; it rolls off the tongue like, “Bond, James Bond.” ...
Interesting example. Did you know that, according to Ian Flemming, he chose that name because it WAS the name of another author? Apparently the book was "A Field Guide to the Birds of the West Indies" ..

He apparently thought the name was sufficiently boring and unremarkable.

Mac

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Riddler. There is only one of me in the US.

I don't see a problem with using another author's name, and the author might be flattered. After all, you didn't do it deliberately.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
Riddler said:

Yeah, there's something buggy about that site.
Enter "Sylvester Stallone" and it says:

at the same time it says:

There are 0 people in the U.S. named Sylvester Stallone.

weird.

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
greglondon said:
Yeah, there's something buggy about that site.
Enter "Sylvester Stallone" and it says:

at the same time it says:

There are 0 people in the U.S. named Sylvester Stallone.

weird.

But if you read their description of what that means, it tells you uncommon names have been omitted for privacy reasons, or something like that. So there aren't many Sylvester Stallones. :D

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
It says my pen name, Jamie Hall, is shared by 657 people. I also know it's used by an antique dealer, a professional-but-not-famous musician and at once time was used by a racecar driver (but I don't see anything about him anymore, I think his fame was minor to begin with and has now faded).

I don't think characters sharing names with people of moderate fame (you had to actually look) is an issue. Sometimes it is even done as a wink-nod thing, as in the movie The Howling, which was full of characters with the same names as horror directors.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, my eldest daughter, and her daughter, do not exist. That's probably because I don't either.
But there are 63 of my MC, and 4,064 of her partner.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
In a related dilemma -- I was shocked to discover that one of my main characters in the next novel I'm about to shop shares the exact same name as an agent I'd like (very much) to query. I frankly have no idea of how to write THAT query letter. (Dear Sir, despite how it looks, I had this character named five years ago, which was four years and 11 months before I knew you existed. He's the hero -- does that help?)

And, no, the character isn't named Donald Maass (;) ).

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
JeanneTGC said:
(Dear Sir, despite how it looks, I had this character named five years ago, which was four years and 11 months before I knew you existed. He's the hero -- does that help?)

:ROFL:

Oh man. I have no idea what I'd do in this situation, but now I really really want to know what you end up doing. Will you share?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Yeah, I will. Once I can figure out just HOW to make this somehow not sound like I named the character to get representation.

Making it worse, I read something a couple of years ago by Ethan Ellenberg about how writers DO things like this, name a character after the agent (ie, change the character's name for each submission) and how it's ludicrous and makes the agent laugh, but in a nasty, pitiless way.

And now, through complete coinkydink, I'm about to look like I'm doing that. (And, no, character is not name Ethan Ellenberg, either. LOL)

Somewhere, the Muses are laughing...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I googled my two main characters. Both of them are on the net! One is a smartypants IT guy in Canada, and the other is in a band called The Stills.
I didn't see that either have been fictional characters previously, though.
Maybe they need new names though?

Status
Not open for further replies.