Would you read an erotic thriller?

short_story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evelynosimon.net
Hey everyone. My question is, would you be interested in reading an erotic murder thriller-vs- the traditional thrillers?
The movie "Basic instinct" was an erotic thriller. Yes, it was a movie, but if an author wrote a book similar to it, with fresh plots, and a totally different ending would it interest you to purchase it?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Sure! M.J. Rose's books are have a real erotic thriller thing going on.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Good story with lots of good sex too? duh..no brainer ;)

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Keep in mind, the above answer was said by The Fonz. Heeeey.

I guess ya gotta write what ya gotta write.

Having said that, there is an erotica upswing in what is currently being released in various genres. Look at all those vampire novels by Laurell Hamilton. There is also a lot more erotica in what was previously considered plain old romance.

Last edited:

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Yes, of course I would... No matter what bad stuff is going on in the world or in anyone's own personal life, they're still having sex when the urge takes them; plus it's also the kind of stuff I write myself ;)

Ellie

short_story said:
Hey everyone. My question is, would you be interested in reading an erotic murder thriller-vs- the traditional thrillers?

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Maybe. If it was a good story. One of the big complaints about Laurell K. Hamilton's recent books is that there is too much sex and not enough story (the story usually being a chapter near the beginning and one near the end of the book). And if it didn't have a serial killer in it. This is the only type of thriller I will not read.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I agree with you there, Linda. I actually liked her earlier stuff, but then I picked up another book (forget the name), and was kinda surprised. I thought there was too much sexual content, not enough story.

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
Laurel K Hamilton's early books are a great example of weaving in the erotic with a compelling and fast paced story - I agree.

A good example to read might be the Laughing Corpse.

I have also been dissapointed with her later books. I don't care about all the sex, it's just the missing story that makes me sad. The sex has become the story.

70% Story, 20% Smut, 10% Puns & Witty Repartee = One happy ME.

MFM

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
I think it's quite sad that a well-established writer has to turn to 'just' sex to write and sell her stories, not that I've ever read any of Laurel K Hamilton's books though; it kind of makes you wonder if she writes all about the sex because there's something missing in her own life.

For the two WIPs I have going: The first one has loads of sex at the beginning of it -- a married man and a single woman; but then it turns in to a lot more than that and with many different characters and plots going on in it. My second WIP doesn't have any sex in it until near the very end.
I would rather show the characters of my work than their actual sex life.

Ellie.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
short_story said:
if an author wrote a book similar to it, with fresh plots, and a totally different ending would it interest you to purchase it?

No, I wouldn't. And I'd be upset if I picked it up by accident and didn't find out it was erotica until I got into it.

But that's just me. YMMV

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Elodie-Caroline said:
I think it's quite sad that a well-established writer has to turn to 'just' sex to write and sell her stories, not that I've ever read any of Laurel K Hamilton's books though; it kind of makes you wonder if she writes all about the sex because there's something missing in her own life.

Hamilton is a best seller and has been for a long time (your assumption as to her reasons is pretty off base). As she got more famous she added *more* sex to her books becuase she wanted to. She clearly did not 'add sex' early on or later to sell any more than Anne Rice added Vampires or Dan Brown added albino assassins. It was what they wanted to write and that doesn't them frigid, haemophilliac or swarthy (respectively). More power to them all.

As for erotic thrillers. Many thrillers are pretty erotic--you may well already be in the normal range for the genre?

Last edited:

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I think I read in an interview with her that she wanted to add more in the earlier books, but the publisher was uncomfortable with the idea of a woman writing erotic material. From the last few books' lack of content (and bear in mind, she's written over a dozen books in this series), I suspect she may have run out of things to write about or is tired of the characters. Usually with series books, the authors run into trouble about books five or seven, when they start to get tired of the series but the publisher and readers keep asking for me.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Linda Adams said:
but the publisher and readers keep asking for me.

Freudian slip there, Linda? :D

I've loved everything I've read by Hamilton, but I must admit I haven't read any of her latest stuff, although I have read her other series about the Fairie Princess. Now that stuff was erotic!

Guess I don't have a problem with her writing what she wants if it sells well.

As to the original question, I'd give an erotic thriller a go.

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Guess I don't have a problem with her writing what she wants if it sells well.
Can't argue with you there - I'm sure plenty of folks are eating the stuff up, and she's following her bliss I figure.

I'm sure when I get published there will be folks who don't care for my stuff either. One just hopes that the majority votes in your favor (with thier book buying dollars) so you can keep writing. I figure I'll always write even if I never become "famous", but I admit it would be hard spending a lifetime writing to a desk drawer.

But I suppose commercial success and the love of writing is another topic entirely.

MFM

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
It all depends on how the eroticism and mystery are woven together. If it's about some guy who gets his rocks off while vivisecting his victims, I'd skip it.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Linda Adams said:
Isn't that what most serial killer thrillers are about?

To be honest, I don't read that many gore and sex novels, so I can't say whether that's the norm or not. Many serial killers have seemingly normal lives with spouses and families. Take BTK; his friends and relations had no idea that there was anything strange about him. Having a steamy sex scene with the killer and a pick-up, or wife, or lover is fine. Ditto the embattled protag taking an hour off here and there for a friendly screw. I don't care for the steamy sex that turns into sickening gore. That's just a personal taste. *shrug* A lot of readers enjoy novels where the victim gets all lathered up and then hacked to pieces or throttled or whatever. To each his/her own.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
erotic

short_story said:
The movie "Basic instinct" was an erotic thriller. Yes, it was a movie, but if an author wrote a book similar to it, with fresh plots, and a totally different ending would it interest you to purchase it?

No, I wouldn't, but there are plenty of others who would.