Found a good one--Elixir, by Gary Braver

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
So I was in the book store and this one caught my eye. It's a biotech thriller about a guy who discovers, essentially, the fountain of youth in a medicinal plant while in a rainforest in Papua New Guinea. He brings it to the States, and the pharmaceutical company he works for catches wind of his private development of this rare plant that prevents human aging, and things get pretty twisted. Very cool, and it even has a shaman at the beginning (I love the shamanic stuff).

It's got moral dilemmas, a good plot, and solid writing. Well-researched, too.

The funny thing is, it turns out to be by a teacher I had many years ago, Gary Goshgarian (Braver is his pseudonym).

Anybody read it?

Or anything else good lately?

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh that sounds like something I'd really like. I love biotech thrillers. And what a neat coincidence!

I just finished Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris. The Harper and Tolliver books are good, but there's a lack of zing in these books. I'm not sure I could put my finger on what doesn't quite work for me.

Yesterday I picked up Stephen King's Lisey's Story. I'm only a few pages in so I'm not quite sure what I think yet.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds great. I love biotech thrillers. I'll add it to my reading list.