• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Capri Publishing

SayerSong

Registered
Reaction score
Nomad said:
If you are serious about being a published author, then take your manuscript out of her hands, and go find a real publisher. Capri is not a real publisher.

Actually, the reason I am not too worried is that the only thing that Capri has of mine are two short stories. And those I can wait on. The novel I am currently working on has already been asked about by an editor at Harper/Collins (which I am very excited about). Mind you, even if the editor at H/C had not shown an interest, I had already decided that I would not be sending anything more off to Capri until I had gotten more info on how other people were treated (as it really bothered me to see my friend treated that way), and now I have, so that just solidified it.

At this point though, there really is not point in my trying to get my two snips back. If Capri folds (which you might very well be right and it will), then I will be getting them back anyway at that point and by then I will have several other shorts to add to it to make a nice little anthology. Heck even if I have to wait two to three years before I can submit those to another publisher, it would still be the same if I cancelled the contract now.

Since my contract is set to expire in a year or two anyway, I figure might as well let it go this time. There will be bigger fish to fry later on.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
You're right nomad,
I asked for and got my release from Capri once I realized what was going on there. I should have known better, but that's over with now. There is nothing but disappointment for those who stay there.

Jennifer Robins

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say Snips on Capri are over priced for e-format pdf's. I mean, $5.00 for a short is way over the top. If you go to Amazon.com you find them for $0.50. She even says the price includes shipping and handling...there is no cost for the email of a pdf?

SayerSong

Registered
Reaction score
SouthernWriter1978 said:
I have to say Snips on Capri are over priced for e-format pdf's. I mean, $5.00 for a short is way over the top. If you go to Amazon.com you find them for $0.50. She even says the price includes shipping and handling...there is no cost for the email of a pdf?

And that gets me too. I could have sworn that the Snips were suppose to be only 1 or 2 dollars, available on Amazon as well as Capri, and be softbound thin books mailed out to the buyers. Not $5 e-books that you download and then print out.

Ivy DragonWind

I do have to post my opinion on this board!

I have just registered today, strictly to reply to this. A dear friend let me know that there was a rather interseting discussion about Capri going on, and I cant not share my story...

I tried for 6 months to get things working with Capri. I would never have found them if not for a close friend of the family, who Brigdett works with (I have seen comments here that Capri is a full time gig, and that is simply not true. She works paperwork for an Air Force office and by her own admission and her coworker's, she only does an hour or two of Capri after her children are in bed.).

When I first spoke to Bridgett, I mentioned that I did not have a lot of publishable material at the time. I mentioned a novel in the works, but my mission was to get a short story published. I specifically told her that the novel is several YEARS from being publishable. We got working on the contract for the SS, and it took her a few months to mail the thing to me.
While I was waiting for it, I was so excited to be getting published (I had gotten turned down over 30 times, and I have the letters to prove it), I suggested to my dear friend that there was a publisher she should look at. (Bridgett had told me she was acceptting any and all submissions in the interest of building a name. I should have realized that was a huge warning sign.) Next thing I know, my friend, Sayersong, is signed as well.

Actually, six months in and TWO signed contracts later, I was told that Capri had never at any point recieved my contract in the mail. I emailed her on a weekly basis and never got a response. I was told once a month that my email account must not be accepting theirs. So I set up another account, and I still never was replied to, except to say that she was too busy to reply to all her email.

Later, I find out from her coworker that she is waiting for me to contact her. Well, I had writted her off, and was amazed that she still, after 6 more months, she was still thinking I was working with her. I finally get a phone call from her, and she insists that the contract (which she suddenly has) is for my NOVEL as well as my short story. I was not happy. I finally told her I expect her to destroy any paperwork she has for my file, including the contract because I never recieved my copy, as well as the copy of my SS manuscript. I found out later that I had simply been put in the inactive file. My name however, has finally been taken off the website.

A quick comment on their website. It is run like a personal website with an accent on Capri. If you would like to see it, its at capripub.net.

All in all, I had a horrible experience with the company, and would advise anyone else to look at different publishers.

My two cents.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
SayerSong said:
And that gets me too. I could have sworn that the Snips were suppose to be only 1 or 2 dollars, available on Amazon as well as Capri, and be softbound thin books mailed out to the buyers. Not $5 e-books that you download and then print out.

What does your contract say?

MRutan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanierutan.com
I understood too that they were to be little booklets. Not PDF's for download.

I wouldn't pay $5.00 for a short story download and don't know many people who would.

SayerSong

Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
What does your contract say?

The contract was not where it stated that about the Snips. Those where all things mentioned by Bridgett in personal e-mails and phone calls. Unfortunately that means that I have no legitimate reason to complain about it, because it was not a signed contract point.

A mistake on my part that I will try very hard never to repeat again.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Well another Capri author has sent in a registered letter asking for the contract to be removed and her book released.

edcook

Is Capri Publishing Folding?

Has anybody heard from Bridgett in the last week at Capri Publishing?
I was suppose to have a book released on November 12th. -
"Guiding The Way From Middle Neebish" and everything was going fine right up to about 4 days before the book was suppose to be released.
Bridgett was going to send me an invoice for 100 books and then nothing.
She will not answer her telephone messages. One telephone number says the message center is full. She will not reply to any e-mails.
Any Capri Authors who read this should also attempt to contact her. It does not sound good.

Ed Cook

SayerSong

Registered
Reaction score
I told her how many extra copies at authors discount I wanted (as she had asked 2 weeks ago) and didn't get a reply and haven't heard from her since.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
She is claiming she was "depressed" and could not go on with working...maybe we should lay off till her depression leaves? I mean, how long can someone be depressed?

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like she has a plan for 2007 or at least has time to snare some more writers:

(taken from the website)

5. CP is only accepting a limited amount of manuscripts for 2007. And the release date for those that are accepted will be 12 September 2007.
Novels - 50
Short stories - 50
Children - 15
Non-Fiction - 5
Poems - 10
6. The deadline for submissions for 2007 release will be 15 March 2007.

Goodness me, what restraint - only 50 novels!

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Capri is now deemed "Not Recommended and Poor Contract" on P&E.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Fifty novels??

Wow. Just, wow.

(ETA: - just for comparison, my teeny little publisher has a staff of approximately five people, sometimes more, sometimes less. In the nearly three years they've been in business, they've put out a TOTAL of approximately 25 books. Think about that.)

Last edited:

edcook

Depression! Wait till the police come knocking on her door! She will be up to her neck in lawsuites. Lucky for me I am not out any money! What the authors need to find out is what company she was using to print her books.
I am getting reports that many authors have ordered and paid for the books but have not received them.
All the Capri Authors need to file a class action lawsuite against her! Also file a police report - THEFT BY DECEPTION, this way an official police investigation can be done on her. The police would probably forward their report to the States Attorney's Office and have them investigate her.
Depends on the how the police department handles this type of case. They might just tell people to contact the States Attorney directly.

edcook

Also thanks to all the authors who have contacted me about Capri Publishing.
I had better luck through Public America selling books, but that was because the effort I had put in to selling the books.
"The History of The 104th Combat Engineers"

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Ed, no offense, brother, but you're two for two with godawful vanity houses, PublishAmerica being by far the sleaziest. Unless you're writing for a niche market, why not try a commercial publisher for your next book? I'd bet your sales would be even better. Just a thought.

MRutan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanierutan.com
I would rather use Lulu to print my books at this point then go back to PA or wait for Capri. The thing that most of us from Capri are saying is that at least with PA when they said they author copies were on the way they were. When you ordered your overpriced books you got them too.

With his outfit, all you're getting is a whole lot of heartache. It's just an all around bad situation.

I wasn't aware that there were more people who paid for books and didn't get them. That's something I find very interesting.

With any luck the nightmare will soon end and we can get on with our lives.
MRutan

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
SouthernWriter1978 said:
She is claiming she was "depressed" and could not go on with working...maybe we should lay off till her depression leaves? I mean, how long can someone be depressed?

No offense intended--depression runs in my family and my husband's--but business is business. If she is too incapacitated by depression to function well enough to take care of her professional obligations, she either needs to hire someone else to handle them, or admit she can't keep her commitments and release her authors and stop pretending she can publish things when she can't. There's nothing wrong with getting in over your head. But stringing people along when you know you can't fulfil your professional obligations...that's another thing entirely.

SayerSong

Registered
Reaction score
SouthernWriter1978 said:

Actually quite a long time if the person suffers from clinical depression. I can literally last a life time and meds do not always help. I know. My dad suffers from depression and has most of his life.

If you have a chronic illness, that can also cause severe and extended bouts of depression.

Since we do not know what brought on her initial bout of depression though, we have no way of knowing when or even if it will go away.

MRutan said:
I would rather use Lulu to print my books at this point then go back to PA or wait for Capri. The thing that most of us from Capri are saying is that at least with PA when they said they author copies were on the way they were. When you ordered your overpriced books you got them too.

With his outfit, all you're getting is a whole lot of heartache. It's just an all around bad situation.

I wasn't aware that there were more people who paid for books and didn't get them. That's something I find very interesting.

With any luck the nightmare will soon end and we can get on with our lives.
MRutan

Now see, I have not paid yet. What happened was that I asked her how much the discounted copies were and she said that before she could tell me, she needed to know how many I needed. I could be nice and say that this was merely for shipping and handling reasons, but somehow I doubt it. Call me a cynic. Anyway, I told her how many and never heard back about a price. So who knows at this point....

James D. Macdonald said:
You might want to chat with a lawyer about verbal contracts.

I had not thought about that. My brother is a lawyer. He might be able to answer that question...

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Kasey Mackenzie said:
No offense intended--depression runs in my family and my husband's--but business is business. If she is too incapacitated by depression to function well enough to take care of her professional obligations, she either needs to hire someone else to handle them, or admit she can't keep her commitments and release her authors and stop pretending she can publish things when she can't. There's nothing wrong with getting in over your head. But stringing people along when you know you can't fulfil your professional obligations...that's another thing entirely.

exactly.

it's one thing to fall ill (and who hasn't been hit by the flu or some horrible thing at the worst possible time!) and another to intentionally take money for books and fail to send out the product. And maintain at least some communication with your authors, if only a fast email from her daughter saying that "Mom's ill right now, but she knows you called".

I do think that what happened was that one PA author found Capri and told two PA authors who then told two more PA authors and so on and so on... it seems that her sudden burst of business came primarily from PA authors referring their friends to Capri. And I suspect that she took most of them on because of the referrals and seeing a great explosion in her business from said authors. Nothing malicious about it; just a woman who got in over her head when all she wanted to do is play the publishing game. And now she can't find a way to graciously exit the scene, as it were.

sad.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Kasey Mackenzie said:

But part of depression is that you simply can't face things because you are too busy wandering in a mental fog. Everything, even the smallest things, seem like insurmountable hurdles. You start to set mental traps for yourself - "I can't do this until this other thing is done, which depends on something else, and oh why bother it is far too much trouble, I'll try to handle it tomorrow." And that's when you can summon enough energy to even get that far.

It is true that business is business, and I feel terribly sorry for the authors that have gotten tangled up with her. But if she is truly suffering from depression, and not simply saying she has it as an excuse, then let's not pretend that it is something she can just snap out of whenever she likes.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Depression my arse.

If it is a case of being in over her head and not being able to cope, why the hell has she got a new page on her website asking for more submissions for a 2007 release date?

If you are so depressed that you cannot operate your business you don't go touting for more work. If you have let people down and not met your commitments you do not give your existing clients a slap in the face by looking for new ones without sorting them out first. What a bloody cheek!