"Entertainment' resume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleIT

"Entertainment' resume?

I need to reformat my resume for the 'industry'. I am going to start trying to get an internship for the summer and I want my resume to be correct. Right now, its not. Is there a book on writing a film/tv resume? Or a website? The 'content' of it is good, it just needs to be properly displayed. Any help would be great. Thanks

DoubleIT

Re: "Entertainment' resume?

Here is what I have now:

Education:

Syracuse University: Syracuse, New York
Newhouse School of Communications
-GPA 3.28

Work Experience:

NJR Web Design
1999-Present
-Owner

Camp Matoaka
Summer 2003
Mike Nathanson (207) XXXXX
-Web Design/Web Master

Syracuse University
Spring 2004
Matt Coulter (315) XXXXX
-Streaming Media Producer

Computer Experience:

Languages: HTML, DHTML, CSS, PHP
Systems: Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, NT, XP, Linux, Mac OS 7-X
Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Front Page, Adobe
Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut Pro 4, Final Draft

Film Experience:

Directed/Filmed/Edited 10 minute short ‘10 Till”, Fall 2004.

Worked on the set of a Microsoft commercial with Utopian pictures as cast (extra) and crew (PA). June 2004.

Assistant to Joe Bedard, Associate Producer, on the film "Straight out of Compton 2". July 2004.

Behind the Scenes Documentary Videographer on the film "Straight out of Compton 2". July 2004.

Shot on location and edited a documentary (“Media Block”) on censorship in Bosnia on the day that the Bosnian government bombed a local bank in Mostar, Herzegovina in April 2001.

Attended two-week film course at Rockport International Film School.

Volunteered on a NYU student’s (Tai Miarch) thesis film, “Spring.” Worked as a Camera Operator, PA, Gaffer, boom operator and photographer on Tai’s film, which was entered in the 2002 Sundance Film Festival.

Leadership Activities & Honors:
Recipient: Guy Gannett Scholarship
Historian at Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity

dpaterso

Why not bring your film experience items to the top of the list since you're applying for an internship in the film industry? What are you doing right now that's related to what you're applying for? Consider listing in reverse chronological order, 2004 first. My resume starts with my present job/experience, the most interesting information, and ends with my school qualifications from the dim and distant mists of yesteryear, the least interesting information.

Shrug, my thoughts.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Ravenlocks01

You have "work experience," then "computer experience," then "film experience." Why not put in "related experience" and then "additional experience"? And in your experience section(s) you'd want to list the company, year, location, job title, and a description of some of your primary duties/accomplishments there (accomplishments are preferable).

And definitely put the most relevant stuff first. Education shouldn't go first unless you have no significant work experience.

There are plenty of websites devoted to resume writing. Why not check out a few of them?

maestrowork

Your resume looks "all over the place." I agree that you must decide what you're targeting (what fields in the "entertainment" business) and list those skills pertinent to your objective. If you're looking for a job in the movies, I'd say your web design skills are useless -- but your graphics skills might be important. Likewise, if you want to get into online media, your filmmaking skills might be irrelevant in many cases.

Otherwise, your resume looks like you're not sure what you want to be when you grow up.

DoubleIT

I thought education had to go first? Also, it may be more important for me to list education in finding an internship since i still am in school. Anyway here is an updated version as per your sugetions

Education:
-GPA 3.28

Related Experience:
Director/cameraman/editor. 10 minute short ‘10 Till”, Fall 2004.

Worked as P.A. on the set of a Microsoft commercial with Utopian pictures June 2004.

Assistant to Joe Bedard, Associate Producer, on the film "Straight out of Compton 2". July 2004.

Behind the Scenes Documentary Videographer on the film "Straight out of Compton 2". July 2004.

Shot and edited short documentary in Mostar, Bosnia Herzegovina, 2001

Attended two-week film course at Rockport International Film School, 2002

Other Experience:
NJR Web Design
1999-Present
-Owner

Syracuse University
Spring 2004
Matt Coulter (315) 569-5119

Computer Experience:

Recipient: Guy Gannett Scholarship

Are you guys saying I should totally remove "computer experience"?

Ravenlocks01

You should try a Google search for resume writing sites, Double. Sure, you'll come up with a lot of pay sites, but you'll also find some free ones you can use.

Pick a resume you like and model yours after it, changing the categories to fit.

The only way I could fix the resume you have now is by totally rewriting it, and I won't do that for free. :p I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just think it needs a fair bit of work, and I think you should be the one to do it.

Good luck. I'm sure if you find some good examples you'll be well on your way to a good rezzy.

DoubleIT

Raven - could you post your resume? The problem with resumes is it seems everyone has a different way of doing it, so how do I know which is correct? In looking at ones online it seems mine is fairly similar... is it the layout that you think is wrong, or the wording? Do I need to be more specific? I was looking at this website: www.jobweb.com/Resumes_In...efault.htm

Ravenlocks01

I could but I'm not going to.

Try this link:
www.jobweb.com/Resources/..._68_01.htm

I have to admit these four all have education before experience, but I really haven't seen that much. Put experience before education.

You don't want to have more than two Experience sections. Ideally you'd only have one. However, there would be nothing wrong with having a Computer Skills section.

You need to reformat the way you present your experience. For instance, try something along the lines of:

P.A., Utopian Pictures, June 2004
- Worked on the set of a Microsoft commercial.

After you've done the reformat, try rewording your job duties/achievements to show something unique about your experience, e.g.:

P.A., Utopian Pictures, June 2004
- Recognized for [insert contributions] on the set of a Microsoft commercial.

There's no *correct* format. The point of your resume is to showcase the unique experience, talents, skills, and accomplishments you offer. Be concise, logical, and creative.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional resume writer. My advice should not be taken for gospel truth. I just happen to think I'm right. :)

DoubleIT

Awsome advice Raven. Thanks so much, ill spend tomorrow re-tooling the resume.

DoubleIT

another try

DOUBLE IT
xxx.xxx.xxx * P.O. Box xxx Blaland State, 90210 * [email protected]

Related Experience:
Director/cameraman/editor. ’10 Till’ Fall 2004
-Worked on a 10 minute short film ‘10 Till’ as the director, director of photography and editor, which will be entered in film festivals this year.

P.A. Utopian Pictures. June 2004
-Worked as a P.A. and extra on the set of a Microsoft spec commercial

Assistant to Joe Bedard, July 2004.
-Assisted Associate Producer of "Straight out of Compton 2" staring Blair Underwood.

Documentary Videographer. July 2004
-Worked as the behind the scenes documentary videographer on “Straight out of Compton 2”

-Attended a two-week film course at Rockport International Film School, 2002.

Other Experience:
NJR Web Design
1999-Present
-Owner

Syracuse University
Spring 2004
Matt Coulter (315) xxxxx

Computer Skills:

Recipient: Guy Gannett Scholarship, Alan Rafkin Scholarship

Education:

mrblinker

hey, i am just starting in the industry... here is how my resume looks

626 West 28th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90007
[email protected]
Jonathan Shih

Education

THE SCHOOL OF ARTS AND LETTERS, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
• Candidate for Bachelor of Arts in American Culture Studies, May 2006

THE SCHOOL OF CINEMA AND TELEVISION, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
• Candidate for Cinema and Television Minor, May 2006

CANDIDATE FOR DUAL-DEGREE IN 2006—CUMULATIVE GPA: 3.0/4.0

HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
Dean’s List (2002-2004) • Entertainment Industry Student Association • Chinese American Student Association • First Street Boxing Team • Rowland H.S. Football • Karl Holton Juvenile Hall Leadership Program (2000) • Army and Navy Academy Basketball Team (1998)

Professional Summary

• Excellent knowledge of writers, directors, agents, available material, and the studio system.
• Strong story skills such as writing script notes and breaking down plot structurally.
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.

Experience

FOX SEARCHLIGHT, TWENTIETH-CENTURY FOX, LOS ANGELES, CA
PRODUCTION / DEVELOPMENT INTERN—SUMMER 2005 TO PRESENT
• Assisted with day-to-day production issues such as comparing script/continuity, pulling scenes, and managing project drafts.
• Assisted VP in assessing the marketability of various foreign films by evaluating their previous domestic grossing trends.
• Liaised with agents at WMA, CAA, ICM, UTA etc., regarding client availability, quotes, and writing samples.
• Performed basic assistant duties such as managing expense reports, scheduling meetings, submitting scripts for coverage, handling calls, and organizing personal and business calendars and contacts.

DREAMWORKS SKG, UNIVERSAL CITY, CA
PRODUCTION / DEVELOPMENTINTERN—FALL 2005
• Provided coverage on several Toronto screenings, such as Revolver, Thank You for Smoking, and Trust the Man.
• Handled calls, scheduled meetings, maintained expense reports, and prepared weekend and table reads for studio executives.
• Filtered daily script submission, tracked industry deals, organized story cards, and managed incoming project drafts.

SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT, CULVER CITY, CA
PRODUCTION INTERN—SUMMER 2005
• Responsible for maintaining film inventory and issuing demo and pitch reels to prospective purchasers.
• Reading scripts, handling phones, organizing contract agreements, preparing memos, and updating contacts.

KAZARIAN SPENCER AND ASSOCIATES, TALENT AGENCY, STUDIO CITY, CA
YOUNG ADULTS DEPARTMENT INTERN—FALL 2004
• Responsible for scheduling auditions, pulling submissions, and dealing directly with clients, casting directors, and managers.
• Assisted senior agents in evaluating client auditions, interviews, headshots, and demo-reels.
• Conducted research on clients to be included in IMDB, Variety, and Hollywood Reporter.

RADICAL MEDIA, LOS ANGELES, CA
PRODUCTION ASSISTANT—FALL 2004
• Music Video: Roll Call. Producer: Lil Jon/Ice Cube. Director: Dave Meyers.

CINEVILLE ENTERTAINMENT, SANTA MONICA, CA
PRODUCTION ASSISTANT—FALL 2004
• Feature: G.I. Jesus. Producer: Lee Caplin. Director: Carl Colpaert.

Personal

Experienced in working with various operating systems (Windows, DOS, and UNIX), and applications (Adobe Photoshop, MS Office, Final Cut, and Final Draft). Experienced in working with various online services (Film Tracker, FDSR, L.A. Casting,). Fluent in Mandarin Chinese; familiar with Taiwanese-Chinese.

PerditaDrury

Registered
Reaction score
Hundreds of these come across my desk on a weekly basis...

My advice: lead with your experience (which is tangible and viable), education second (which is nice but it doesn't trump experience). And call USC, USC -- don't begin with the school of whatever, even if it is Cinema/Television. And besides, you're not done with school yet.

Leave out the GPA unless you're applying to grad school.

Start the resume with your objective which means you might have to make a new one up for each interview.

I personally like a photo embedded in the document so I know who I'm going to be interviewing but that's just me and this might be distracting, or even too cutesy, for others.

My two cents. Good luck!

PerditaDrury

Registered
Reaction score
PS

PS What sets you apart is your linguistic ability. There's a lot of co-ventures going on right now with animation projects in the USA and China. You might be able to parlay your specialized skills into something in that arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.