Procrastination Strategies 101

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
What do you do to procrastinate writing your requisite 1,667 words each and every day for your NaNoNovel?

Me? I post in just about every thread I can find at AW.

And I get snackies. Alas, no chocolate, unfortunately.

And I surf the web. Fahim's threatened to cut me off. He can, he's just that geekie, and I'm tempted to let him.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
quidscribis said:
What do you do to procrastinate writing your requisite 1,667 words each and every day for your NaNoNovel?
The Cooler. Someone kick me out! Charlie? Fahim? Mac? Anyone?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
So far sleep and now work will keep me from writing. But I've got my first scene brewing in my head, so it should be ready for writing down when I get home tonight.

I'll also be using new episodes of Bones, Lost, and The Nine as procrastination strategies tonight. :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Work, and TV are my biggest . . . no, wait - it's AW.

But that's all part of the animal, isn't it? Coming here for inspiration :D

Dang, Jericho's on tonight -- and I never even intended to like that show. But there's nothing on TV on Thursdays. I'm gold Thursday.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see... Ghost Hunters last night. Then that stupid work thing before choir rehearsal tonight. Ugh.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
MidnightMuse said:
Dang, Jericho's on tonight -- and I never even intended to like that show. But there's nothing on TV on Thursdays. I'm gold Thursday.

:poke: You are supposed to be watching "Grey's Anatomy" on Thursday nights. Everyone is supposed to be watching that!!!

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, on Thursdays it's My Name is Earl followed by The Office with flipping to Survivor during commercial breaks to see if anything ever happened.

Tonight is Lost.

I think I have found my limit for Jelly Belly jelly beans right about now.

Karen

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Saritams8 said:
The Cooler. Someone kick me out! Charlie? Fahim? Mac? Anyone?

Hey, Sara, wanna pledge to each other that we won't post on AW until we've done at least half of our goal and that we'll limit our time to say, 10 minutes? That's what I'm trying for.

Now it's back to the last 1k words for the night before I can post here again.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno said:
Hey, Sara, wanna pledge to each other that we won't post on AW until we've done at least half of our goal and that we'll limit our time to say, 10 minutes? That's what I'm trying for.
That's an excellent idea. Okay. I'm out of here until I hit my 1,000 for today (my daily goal is 2,000) Thanks for the kick in the pants Dawn. You're my hero :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
:poke: You are supposed to be watching "Grey's Anatomy" on Thursday nights. Everyone is supposed to be watching that!!!

Blech! Nope, Thursdays is my Grocery shop-because-nothing's-on-tv night. And write :)

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
I do that homework I'm supposed to.

...when you're doing homework as a method of procrastination you know you're unique.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm at 269 words, how bad? How did that happen? Oh wait, University kept me from being near my computer in a conscious state.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I found a new way to procrastinate:

I decide to reinstall Office because my recently opened file list does not want to show up. First, I try to do a repair. No joy. Then, I uninstall and reinstall. Still no list of files which I know I used to see. The option is greyed out in the Tools menu. What have I done?

Go to Google. Finally locate the problem, which is a registry key that has nothing to do with Office but somehow was changed. Fix key, all is now well.

This is a good way to let about two hours go by.

Karen

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I went around to different coffee shops in the area looking for one that felt good for writing. Sad thing was that the best thing nearby was the Borders Cafe (now Seattle's Best in Borders). So I would go there & write or edit (after NaNo of course) whenever I felt like I needed something different from the apartment. Well, since then, my friend has decided to go w/ me, once a week on Fridays. Good for getting me there at least once a week, but w/ a friend, I'm not even close to being as productive. It was good b4 because there was no internet, no cats, no possible way to distract myself, without physically packing up my laptop, because I was not going to leave it in the cafe to browse books & music. But w/ B.C. there, I spend half the night talking to him, & have no excuse not to distract myself w/ books, 'cuz he can watch over my stuff. I tried to get there early so I could get more done before he came, & he was already there. It's okay today, though because on top of the 1000 words I wrote at Borders tonight, I'm rewriting a scene I wrote in a notebook a long time ago, so the second half of my night was very productive. But next week, I'll probably suffer. The sad thing is that he's doing NaNo too, so I can't even be like "I can't handle distractions, go away."

So anti-procrastination - go to a cafe with no internet & write like crazy.

Procrastination - bring a friend along.

FolkloreFanatic

The Arthurian Addict.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
folklorefanatic.blogspot.com
I work on my voice acting, my website and non-fiction pieces. I audition films. I work on medieval costumes for next Pennsic. I clean my office obsessively. I work a 50-hour a week job.

Anything but writing, right? Woo-hoo!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Forbidden Snowflake said:
I'm still sleeping. Is that bad?

Only if you're looking for total mental meltdown. ;)

Keep plugging, Snow! Some days will be slower than others, but you'll have others where the words will be on fire and you'll be amazed at how much you accomplish. Don't get discouraged by low word count. I recorded only 700+ words yesterday and half of them will definately be cut later on because I changed my mind about POV for the scene and all the Nano minds say never actually cut anything, because it still counts toward wordcount (tho, obviously not real manuscript, and ultimately I'm looking for output that I can clean up and use later).

Remember, the tortoise won the race! <groan> :0

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Aye, aye, but I prefer sleeping ;)

Nah, I had a slow weekend due to having to visit my mother and I'm definitely looking to catching up again.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
My <fill in body part> hurts.
I'm hungry.
The cat won't get off my keyboard.
It's cold.
I need a nap.

Yes. I'm procrastinating. Arggggh!!!

OK, back to work.