Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I posed this question on Miss Snark's blof first and she was so gracious as to answer:

http://misssnark.blogspot.com/2006_09_24_misssnark_archive.html#115913551560446914
So this is a follow-up.

I called the Society of Authors and spoke of the problem. Their lawyer tol dme I should write to the ex-agent in question and insist on a response; I should threaten to take the matter up with the Society of Authirs if there was no reply.

So I wrote her a snail mail letter asking for info on royalties now due, and for a copy of the 2004 royalty statement.

She sent the 2005 royalty statement for this particular book by return of post. I thanked her by email and said I wanted the 2004 statement. She replied by email to say that they have no copy of the 2004 statement as they send the original. She said she could request it at the publisher's but that it would "take a long time."
Of course, I have not heard back on that issue.

The 2005 statement says than no money is due. but I'll discuss that on another thread.

I still have not received royalties due from that same publisher for another book. I know they are due because the amount has been confirmed by the agency.

The contract says that royalties are due to be paid by the 31sy March. We are now near the end of October!

I have sent several emails to her; one was answered in which she said she'd checl with the accounts department, but never any follow up, and of course no money.

The Society of Authors said there is little one can do with a foreign publisher that does not pay on time.

I guess I only want to vent, and to hear if anyone else has these problems. I need the money desperately. It's so unfair that these big companies take such liberties with their authors. In whichother business do the producers of the goods get paid last?

I also find the agent's behaviour upsetting. She was not my main agent, just the one who deals with foreign rights, But they were all so nice and friendly when I was with them. If royalties were late they'd send me the money anyway as a loan.

I have another question concerning ex-agents but that's a different thread again.
I hope this post makes sense. Even to me it sounds horribly convoluted! I really want to know if anyone else has similar late-royalty experiences and how to deal with it.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, my heart goes out to you. It's bad enough when things work well, i.e. you only get paid so long after the event (your point re the producers getting paid last is an excellent one). But it's even worse when they're messing you around big time.

I don't have any suggestions or solutions for you, I'm afraid.

all I can say is that your vent has been received and acknowledged.

I hope you have some good news soon, I really do.

jpserra

Recovering Gumshoe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnserra.com
Was it in pen or crayon?

aruna said:
That's what she says. I'd have thought they at least keep a copy.

My original in on a computer CD, tucked safely in my, ah, safe! How does anyone send an original anymore, these days?

JPS

Status
Not open for further replies.