Considering Tech Writing, Part time, does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

At one time I was an engineer, now I'm a homemaker. I have been writing for a year on my Great American Novel, but bills keep adding up and some income would be good.

Can a person make technical writing a good part time job? Do you guys work from home, or do you go to the office? The only people I knew as technical writers did it full time as a job in a corporation.

I read an earlier post so to answer the question there, I have technical education, software development experience, tech writing experience. I came to fiction writing through my enjoyment of technical writing. I have considered it a long term job option.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing my technical writing on a part-time contract, at the moment. I can work from home because I use a laptop, but I prefer to work from the office. I use the lab and need access to SMEs when I'm writing new content.

I work three days a week, Mon, Wed, and Fri, which gives me two days to catch up on everything else, the house, kids, groceries, my recreational writing, volunteer work, etc. It'd be ideal, except I don't like tech writing.

Good luck! Hope you find something that suits your interests and talents.

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is of huge interest to me, as I just approached my management about moving from my current tech job to create a (badly needed) tech writer position within the team, easing into part time early next year. I plan on working from the office because I need to be here to talk to the SMEs and team and see how effective the current documentation is. I think it really depends on what type of tech writing you want to do.

Anyway, good luck, and out of curiousity CaroGirl, what don't you like about tech writing? Your current schedule is exactly what I'm aiming for!

Michelle

Doug Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of companies would perfer to hire you part time freelance: no health care costs.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Allie -
Look in the want ads for who is hiring programmer and engineers - the temp and contract agencies like Adecco and Volt and the others. They laso hire tech writers.

You might have to work FT in an office on some contracts, but you can always ask for the short-term and PT ones. Also check Craig's list for writing gigs. I've done some small stuff through them.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Allie -
Look in the want ads for who is hiring programmer and engineers - the temp and contract agencies like Adecco and Volt and the others. They laso hire tech writers.

You might have to work FT in an office on some contracts, but you can always ask for the short-term and PT ones. Also check Craig's list for writing gigs. I've done some small stuff through them.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
I have been a full-time technical writer/technical editor for over 20 years (working with the U.S. military, electronics, and pharmaceutical industries). Keep in mind that the term "technical writer" now carries a much broader definition than even 10 years ago. It used to be a very specialized field.

I have noticed that a number of queries about the field are asking about part time work with the FDA. FDA (usually working with a pharmaceutical firm to ensure the firm is compliant with FDA regulations) technical writing comes in two very distinct forms: true technical writing (process writing as a subject matter expert) or technical scribing (where the writer takes data from one source and formats it into another without needing the subject expertise-it is still called technical writing but the two disciplines are not identical and this can cause some confusion on the job). Validation/qualification writing for the pharmaceutical firms can take either approach.

Many of these positions are considered full-time and you either work from the contract company's office or on-site. For those interested in getting into this field, you might start by trying one of the online-job search sites (e.g., Monster) as many of the contract houses that provide these services list openings there. It is not the most glamorous or interesting areas of writing; in fact it can usually be very dull (think 800 page factory acceptance test where you must indicate a specific test for a device, test it, and then indicate the test's result). You must also be able to write to very restrictive formats and styles; usually client-driven and not always logical or grammatical. I would not recommend technical writing for pharmaceuticals for the beginning writer simply because these contract houses and their clients don't allow much time for on-the-job training and it can be overwhelming, if not downright scary, for anyone who lacks the experience of writing to specifications or, that lovely phrase, "in accordance with..."

Hope this helps some of you with your questions.

a tree of night

Registered
Reaction score
I write full time for an obscenely large computer firm, mostly from home. I have a traditional office (at least, I think it's still there), but I only use it when I want to go in to use the high-speed printers or have an international call. We have had quite a few part-timers over the years and it really has never been an issue. As long as you know when and how (e-mail, IM, phone, etc.) they're going to be available, it's no different than working with anybody else. I work with development, test, and writers scattered about both coasts of the US, one team in Australia, and a writer in China. Half of them could be part-time and I honestly wouldn't know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.