Good News and Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
The good news is this agent thinks I'm competent:)

The bad news is she's not representing me:cry:

Thank you for the opportunity to review your project. I took time to read it today. I wish I had better news. Unfortunately, I'm going to pass. It's always difficult to articulate 'why' a specific piece of fiction doesn't garner the requisite level of enthusiasm. You're a competent author. I didn't, however, fall in love with the plot as I had hoped. My opinion is that of one agent. Surely another agent or editor will feel differently. You might try - www.aar-online.org - list of reputable agents and what each represents. Good luck

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually pretty good, as far as rejections go.:) She's there aren't any major flaws with the work, just not her cup of tea.

I'm sure you'll find the right agent soon!

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Ahem ...

Toni1953 said:
The good news is this agent thinks I'm competent:)

The bad news is she's not representing me:cry:

Thank you for the opportunity to review your project. I took time to read it today. I wish I had better news. Unfortunately, I'm going to pass. It's always difficult to articulate 'why' a specific piece of fiction doesn't garner the requisite level of enthusiasm. You're a competent author. I didn't, however, fall in love with the plot as I had hoped. My opinion is that of one agent. Surely another agent or editor will feel differently. You might try - www.aar-online.org - list of reputable agents and what each represents. Good luck

Sorry, but unless this particular agent wrote that comment in her own handwriting, it sounds like a boilerplate rejection letter to me ...

That being the case, however, does not necessarily mean that you are not a competent writer ... or that she, in fact, does not think that you are a competent writer.

I'm just pointing out what others have pointed out many times before: Don't read too much into boilerplate-rejection text.

And, of course, keep plugging away!

Boilerplate or not, the only thing you know for sure it that this one agent has taken a pass on your work ...

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about the rejection. It is so that agent's loss!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Inspiewriter said:
Sorry about that. Keep at it.

And don't you just hate the phrase "I'll pass" or "I'll have to pass"-- I just don't think "pass" is appropriate.

I hate the "Although and but" even more.

Your piece is this and this and this, but...

And the:

Although your piece is this and this and this...

Anyway it's put it sucks to be rejected, but all we can do is move forward.

Good luck Toni, I hope you find an agent who is as enthusiastic about your work as you are.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I can't speak for anyone else but i never got a "boilerplate" rejection where the agent called the author competent before. ;) A first time for everything, I guess.

I'll just keep rewriting and sending...rewriting and sending...rewriting and sending.....i keep the post office busy, anyway :)

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
What a let down. There's just something about the tone of that one that's depressing, even if it is boilerplate.

But keep on keeping on. Send it out again and wait for the right agent to read it.

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
Take heart. She is obviously sincere in thinking the work is good enough to impress another agent; otherwise, she wouldn't have recommended the list (most agents are savvy enough to know if something is really bad, none of their peers are going to be interested, either). This sounds more like a case of a manuscript not being suited to her particular tastes.

first time writer

Registered
Reaction score
Toni1953 said:
Well, I can't speak for anyone else but i never got a "boilerplate" rejection where the agent called the author competent before. ;) A first time for everything, I guess.

I'll just keep rewriting and sending...rewriting and sending...rewriting and sending.....i keep the post office busy, anyway :)

Don't worry, Toni. I had a similar rejection. My agent/editor actually told me what I needed to do to improve it and suggested I send it again with the revisions. I have recently done that and now am waiting for a reply.

Tony (first time writer)
icon10.gif

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on having a project written.
Congratulations on having a project queried.
Congratulations on having a project submitted.
Congratulations on having a project read.
Congratulations on being a competent author!

Sincerely,
The Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining Club
:hooray:

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it seems a bit boilerplate--however, you obviously have to be a more than competent writer to even get to that stage, so congratulations!

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I too have to agree that the language of the rejection sounds standard, and that parsing the phrases won't help, in the long run. I've gotten rejections like that too, and I didn't like them either. I'd ask myself, Why is it so hard to articulate why a piece of fiction doesn't work? (When you read a novel, do you have trouble discussing it afterward? Is it rocket science?) Why does this agent have to pass? (Pass as what, by the way?)

But that kind of carping doesn't help. You need to tell yourself, "Yes, I'm a capable writer, and I'll continue to send out this book, and while I'm doing that, I'll write another or two or five." Don't wait for an agent to validate your worth; they have too much power already.

You can't control what other people think about your work. The only thing you can control is how you think of it.

Keep at it. You know you have it in you.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Even if it is a form rejection, it doesn't mean it's the lowest forms.

Yes agents use form rejections, well everyone does, however, there are several types of form rejections they use. One size does not fit all. I would venture a guess that there are 3 good form rejections and about 5 bad ones.

The top three give compliments to the manuscript and include an Although or a but. And list your strengths.

The last five say "No thanks." "Not for me" "Not right for me now" "I'll pass" and the silent treatment. (That's the worst kind!)

And then there are non-form rejection letters.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Keep on keeping on. My rejection letter today informed me the publisher has destroyed my material. I know the reason they are telling me that is so I won't think they might steal my ideas but it still hurts and soiunds like it smells so bad they had to destroy it.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
Keep on keeping on. My rejection letter today informed me the publisher has destroyed my material. I know the reason they are telling me that is so I won't think they might steal my ideas but it still hurts and soiunds like it smells so bad they had to destroy it.

I think that has more to do with the new postal regulations than anything else.

Now they have to go to the post office and have the post office employee watch them place the material into the packages weighing over x ammount or they can't mail them due to terrorist fear reasons. That is a lot of wasted time.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetbellinger said:

That would make me feel bad too:) :Hug2:

Maybe someday the publishers will accept e-submissions.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
It's freeing in a way, makes me feel free to follow my own natural style because it proves following the rules does not guarantee success.

Status
Not open for further replies.