The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Frankly...

I don't give a damn!

Most fans seems to hate it, is one the lowest, if not the lowest, rated Discworld books

I am not most fans and I see it as part of his later works where he is becoming much more satirist than fantasist and has the skills to do it well.

I found 'Thud' difficult on first reading too, but a second reading made me add it to the favourites list. He's not a fast read any more, he requires thoughtful reading.

Ren

I'm not clever enough for this...
Registered
Reaction score
Hogfather
Reaper Man
Night Watch
Monstrous Regiment

^^^^^^^^^^^^ My favorites

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
What? No Mort? it was the first Discworld novel I read! and I liked more than Reaper Man. All the Death novels are great

Ren

I'm not clever enough for this...
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read Mort yet ^^

Hogfather was my first, and Death has been my favorite character ever since.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Unseen Academicals

Anyone else got the latest Discworld novel yet?
I'm about three quarters of the way through, and I gotta tell you, I'm pretty disappointed. :(
Doesn't read like a Pratchett novel; feels very forced. One of my favourite things about TP's books is the depth of the characters, and the way they react exactly as...well, as they would according to their character. The characters in this book feel like they're being shoehorned into the plot somehow. Plus, there's a lot of info-dumpy speeches from various characters, the odd 'As you know, Bob', and a lot of untidy run-on sentences.
I can't help wonder how much of this has been influenced by his illness. Hope the next one is better.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just started it this morning. I'm loving it! A few pages in I was thinking to myself, the dude's still got it. I mean come on, look at this bit, describing someone's bed:
Usually there is, on the pillow, a very elderly teddy bear called Mr. Wobble.

Traditionally, in the lexicon of pathos, such a bear should have only one eye, but as the result of a childhood error in Glinda's sewing, he has three, and is more enlightened than the average bear.

There are like five jokes there, crammed into two sentences. Also, he has made a Hinduism/Yogi Bear joke in a book set in a universe which has neither Hindus nor Yogi Bear, and without even going for the obvious "yogi" pun, which is an extremely difficult feat. No, he's still got it.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Just started it this morning. I'm loving it! A few pages in I was thinking to myself, the dude's still got it. I mean come on, look at this bit, describing someone's bed:

There are like five jokes there, crammed into two sentences. Also, he has made a Hinduism/Yogi Bear joke in a book set in a universe which has neither Hindus nor Yogi Bear, and without even going for the obvious "yogi" pun, which is an extremely difficult feat. No, he's still got it.
The thing I've always liked best about Pratchett's work is not the jokes, but the depth and strength of his characters. None of the characters in this book struck me as anything more than 2d cardboard cutouts. Even the ones I've enjoyed in previous books, like Ricdully and Stibbons, felt like they'd been shoe-horned into behaviours that weren't their own, but were needed to advance the plot.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Much as it pains me, I have to agree that Ridcully, in particular, doesn't seem the same as he did in earlier books. I'll agree that the humor is still there, but the characters I've known and loved through all of his previous work don't quite "feel" right in UA.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished it this week. It totally worked for me. Ponder is always Ponder...the other wizards always seem to have a sort of communal personality to me. I thought the new characters were all pretty well-written. Especially Nutt. I love him :)

Menyanthana

Moonflower
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's pretty good. And I liked Nutt.

However, the "German" book titles which were quoted by Nutt did hurt my eyes. Pratchett should have changed the language more, so it wouldn't have been recognizable German any more, or he should have done it right.

It's not that hard to find a native speaker, isn't it?