Writing-related software

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
As of 1 May 2017, WriteWay Professional is free. The developer has decided to move on to other things (probably retirement). Support will still be available to a limited degree.
I was interested in that bit of software. However, I read so many things about problems folks had with it, primarily its tendency to lose pages and chapters of work, that I gave up on it. Have you tried it? Did you have a better experience?

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded to scrivener 3? I am really happy with scrivener 2, so I don't know what extra benefit 3 would give me. I'm sure there's also a whole lot of functionality I'm not even accessing in scrivener 2, so I suspect scrivener 3 would be overkill for my purposes...

I actually do quite a bit of planning and early drafting in scrivener, and then at some point I generally feel compelled to move over to word, and always complete there. So I do a lot of shifting from Scrivener to word already.

I guess I'm wondering if folks have gone for scrivener 3, how they're finding it?

Thanks!

Xelin_G

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gdramatventertainment.com
Aside from screenplay, I am planning on writing my first novel. Woah. I have lots of options now for the software to use. For screenplay, I was able to get the free version of Celtx years ago. I heard it's no longer free or what. I was looking for a free tool at the time and I that's what I found.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
For screenplay, I was able to get the free version of Celtx years ago. I heard it's no longer free or what.
It is still free but is now web-based, which limits you to three projects. There are Android and iOS-based apps too to go with that.

-cb

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded to scrivener 3? I am really happy with scrivener 2, so I don't know what extra benefit 3 would give me. I'm sure there's also a whole lot of functionality I'm not even accessing in scrivener 2, so I suspect scrivener 3 would be overkill for my purposes...

I actually do quite a bit of planning and early drafting in scrivener, and then at some point I generally feel compelled to move over to word, and always complete there. So I do a lot of shifting from Scrivener to word already.

I guess I'm wondering if folks have gone for scrivener 3, how they're finding it?

Thanks!

Are you a Mac or a Windows user? Scrivener 3 is currently Mac only, but a Beta version of Scriv 3 has been released for Windows and I understand the actual release for Windows is slated for this year.

If you are a Mac user, you could download a trial version and see what you think. I believe there is an option to save projects as either S2 or S3, because some Scriv users are set up on both platforms. You can similarly download the Windows Beta and see how you go, except usual caveat applies - don't use it for something you couldn't bear losing.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Talktidy! I appreciate the response. I'm mac, and I love Scrivener as is (aside from a few personal gripes that I have with most software I use). I think I'll give the trial a trial ;) but only when I'm finished the research project I'm working on.

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for software (either web-based or online) but free where I can do timeline branching storytelling for choose your own story type thing... Where one choice branches out to another story which then gives you another branching story choice...

Not sure where I can find such a program.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for software (either web-based or online) but free where I can do timeline branching storytelling for choose your own story type thing... Where one choice branches out to another story which then gives you another branching story choice...

Not sure where I can find such a program.

You want hypertext apps used for writing "electronic fiction." Here are the two primary such apps.

You could do this in a simple blog platform, including a free Blogger or WordPress.com account. You would want to map things out a bit first, probably.

Last edited:

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
So... is anyone using Grammarly for their work?

It's rather basic, but it does act like a mini-editor and reminds you when you've misplaced your commas. Bonus points - the machine-learning / AI system ranks your writing and that's a good indicator to start with.

www.grammarly.com