Questions about a series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I've read several threads about trilogies, but I'm wondering about a series. I know several writers who have written a few books set in the same town, books about a group of sisters or brothers or even just several members of a family.

I've actually got an idea for a series. Each book would stand alone. It would be about Southern women who are what I call "teabags." They get stronger in hot water. My first novel, with minor reworking, could fit in with this series. My WIP in progress definately could. And, many of my other ideas for future WIPs would also fit in this category.

I guess what I'm asking is do publishers/agents like it when you have this kind of thing? Is it a good idea for a writer to have several novels which could fit under one theme in a series? Or is this something decided later, by a publisher?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If the first novel sells well, it's never a bad idea to have a second in the series ready to go. It also tells your agent/editor that you aren't a one-book author, and that you intend to continue producing.

Certain genres welcome series with more wide open arms (paranormal, mysteries, thrillers) than others.

We have a few regulars here at AW who write series novels, so they may be better equipped to provide experienced answers.

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Southern_girl29 said:
I've read several threads about trilogies, but I'm wondering about a series. I know several writers who have written a few books set in the same town, books about a group of sisters or brothers or even just several members of a family.

I've actually got an idea for a series. Each book would stand alone. It would be about Southern women who are what I call "teabags." They get stronger in hot water. My first novel, with minor reworking, could fit in with this series. My WIP in progress definately could. And, many of my other ideas for future WIPs would also fit in this category.

I guess what I'm asking is do publishers/agents like it when you have this kind of thing? Is it a good idea for a writer to have several novels which could fit under one theme in a series? Or is this something decided later, by a publisher?
Are you talking about a series of novels connected to each other, or a series of novels written under an umbrella title? [J.K. Rowling's 'Harry Potter' is a series of novels connected to each other; R.L. Stine's 'Goosebumps' is a series of unconnected novels published under an umbrella title].

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A series idea is fine, but I'd hold off on getting too far into it until I see how the first book is received. If it sells, and gets a good readership, the series idea is a good one. The only drawback is it will challenge the writer--the repeat characters have to be kept fresh and interesting, not repetitive. Most of that will flow from putting them in different, interesting situations, but it's still necessary to introduce new wrinkles as well.

Jack_Roberts

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
night-children.blogspot.com
I wrote a stand-alone but the characters and world they live in is set up for a series. The entire concept demands an on going series that will eventually come to a strong conclusion.

I didn’t leave the first in a cliffhanger, but instead wrote it as it’s own story. If I’m lucky enough to get it accepted, then I would hope the series would follow. My WIP is book two of this same series. I can’t help it. It wants to be written.
In my query letter I mentioned that it’s a series so they have that in mind.

NeuroFizz is right. Put your characters in new situations in the other books.

sanctuary6284

Mental Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
What about a series that set in a particular place but the characters differ from book to book?

Is there a chance that this formula would be accepted? Each book would obviously be stand alone but all stories would occur in the same world. Since they would have an umbrella title I would assume they would be considered a series.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of revisting characters and/or unique places. The main things have already been pointed out - keep things new and interesting, and write them all as stand alone. There's always a chance the first won't sell enough to justify a second, but if it does, you're ready to go :)

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I am in love with a couple of series romances right now. They share a group of characters, but each book is a stand alone that features one person from the group. Like Mary is a bit part in Book A, but she's the herione of Book B - it's neat to read about a character that I "met" in a different book.

So, my two cents' worth is that it depends on how it's done, but as a reader, I (can) really enjoy it.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
sanctuary6284 said:
What about a series that set in a particular place but the characters differ from book to book?

RL Stine's Fear Street series comes to mind. With all the books set in that neighborhood, the street must stretch from Miami to Atlanta. ;)

Also the Crimson City series, paranormal romances set in a futuristic Los Angeles that has demons running around. All take place in the same shared universe, but with a different story and set of characters per book. Although these books are written by a variety of authors.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Carrie in PA said:
I am in love with a couple of series romances right now. They share a group of characters, but each book is a stand alone that features one person from the group. Like Mary is a bit part in Book A, but she's the herione of Book B - it's neat to read about a character that I "met" in a different book.

So, my two cents' worth is that it depends on how it's done, but as a reader, I (can) really enjoy it.

Julia Quinn has written romance novels for the entire Bridgerton family of children (8 in all). She's on the last one, I believe.

One thing about series books is that if the first one doesn't sell, it's easier to modify the second one to become the first book. I actually did that; the one I'm shopping around now is actually the second one I wrote with that character. If it's a trilogy, it would be harder to make the second book stand alone.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
They are all going to be stand alone. Two of them will share certain characters. My WIP now will not share a character unless I have another idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.