Status
Not open for further replies.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15127464/?GT1=8618

OMG where does it end?

In response to her absurd request..I say this..

How about we ban the bible and all bible camps?

Funny how a creator who intentionally gave us free will is trumped by his own creations who seem to not understand that they dont HAVE to send their kids to a wiccan camp...

I cant read the news anymore..its pissing me off LOL

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez.
Just as appalling is this (from the same article);
In June, the county's library board eliminated the $3,000 that had been set aside to buy Spanish-language fiction in the coming fiscal year. One board member said the move came after some residents objected to using taxpayer dollars to entertain readers who might be illegal immigrants.

Days later, the board reversed its decision amid accusations that the move was anti-Hispanic.
At least they reversed the decision.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Come on people, what do you want schoolchildren to do, read? I mean, they have the Bible at home, what else is there?

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
It's obvious the books are harming our children and our very way of life. Just read this article. They should be more than just banned. Parents who allow their children to read them should have their kids taken away.

Last edited:

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
XThe NavigatorX said:
It's obvious the books are harming our children and our very way of life. Just read this article. They should be more than just banned. Parents who allow their childred to read them she have their kids taken away.

:roll:

How could I have lived in Houston my whole life and never joined Potterites to Destroy Jesus? I'm coughing up my $6.66 right now.
deliverus cashus!

ETA: the best part is the quote from Rowling

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Gee. All this evil. And in books, no less. Someone needs to go back in time and cut off Dante's hands. Oh, and burn M.Gutenberg before he has a chance to invent anything. Best get his parents too.

It is obvious to me, that when they burned the Library at Alexandria, they should have thrown the scholars in too.

They probably missed a few books.

Don't get me started on those anti-christian cave paintings.. . .

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
J.K. Rowling was quoted (through an assistant's assistant to the nanny of her nanny's limo driver) saying "Pfff. Thanks for the free publicity. Like that's going to stop me."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Where does it end? It doesn't end. Never. Ever. Which is why people who support tolerance and freedom of expression need to remain vigilant and vigorous in their vigilance. Always.

caw.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
Come on people, what do you want schoolchildren to do, read? I mean, they have the Bible at home, what else is there?

An aside, but an illustrative one: My wife owns and operates a local retail toy store in our city. We have a fairly large section of pre-K and early-grade educational materials, and get a lot of home-schoolers in to buy curriculum and supplemental material. Last week a woman came in who has three children of her own and something like 14 foster children, and home-schools them all (there's a good supplemental program supervised by the state to fund such purchases, upon proper oversight and approval). She bought a lot of early-grade workbooks, puzzles and educational games. In talking with her, it emerged that these foster children ranged into their mid-teens in age, but she has taken them on from a situation in which they were taught that imaginative play and reading was "evil", and she's essentially having to start at pre-school levels with them and work up from there. I didn't ask more specifics on that "situation" the kids came from, but things like that are out there, folks.

caw.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
This was on our local news last night (since it happened close to where I live). They showed parts of the speech the woman gave before the board.

I laughed out loud.

Seriously, this woman's statements are idiotic. She made the most ludicrous argument based on the most ridiculously unrelated examples. She said something to the effect of, "Just look at Columbine and...and even the recent school shootings this week. Can we not see that there is evil in our schools and shouldn't we be doing everything we can to get the evil, like Harry Potter, out of our schools and away from our children?"

How closed-minded.

They interviewed a board member shortly afterwards who said that it was unlikely that the woman's request would be passed and that she believes children should read more books, including Harry Potter.

From the looks of the news clip, it seems that only one board member (I guess that was the "hearing officer") even showed up to hear her. The rest of the seats at the board's table were empty.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: In response to blacbird's post...

Wow. I feel Grinch-like, as in my heart is two sizes too small.

Although I'm glad I live in a place where the parent who didn't want her child to read fiction because it was all lies was told her desire would not be accommodated.

Maryn, who paid as much for the school district as the house

cree

Registered
Reaction score
You can't stand Harry Potter (one thing) or you think the ultra-conservative nutjobs should prevent their children from reading? (another thing altogether).

I, for one, hope my books end up on a banned list, somewhere. There's nothing like a good banning to increase sales :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
cree said:
You can't stand Harry Potter (one thing) or you think the ultra-conservative nutjobs should prevent their children from reading? (another thing altogether).

Both actually. It's not my job to save other people from themselves. Now if you start trying to prevent MY children from reading, that's another story.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think it's morally right that closed-minded people like this woman are able to breed in the first place and destroy the lives of their own children.

Stupidity should be considered child abuse in some cases.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you see anyone with this book in hand, shout, "Fire on you! in the name of Jesus!" Snatch the book from them, toss it to another Christian brother or sister and put flame to it as quickly as possible. Make sure you hand the person a Bible to replace the Half-Blood Prince and tell them to read that instead.
Wow. I'll have to make sure I have my matches with me so I can burn that Bible right before their eyes. And speak in tongues as I do it. Wish I had mastered the head spinning thing.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
DrSpork said:
That article was satirical.

I figured. But sometimes with "those people" it's hard to tell.

And yes! I'm joking! No IMs lambasting me for being a religion basher, please. :)

cree said:
It turns out, the same mom was also a mom on Trading Spouses TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPW5RsMftQ
She just can't get enough of the limelight.

Status
Not open for further replies.