Playwriting vs. Screenwriting

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering what the biggest differences are between standard play format and standard screenwriting format. What does one need to learn to move from screen to stage-writing?

Thanks!

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/artweb/playwriting/screenwriting.html
New link: http://www.vcu.edu/arts/playwriting/seminar.html

Film deals with events while the novel looks at the consequences . . . of events. Substitute play for novel and we're back to the same thing Mamet's talking about.
  • Playwrights tell stories verbally.
  • Screenwriters tell stories visually.
Visual storytelling in films places much less reliance on Voice than the verbal process of plays.

http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/artweb/playwriting/format.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/formats.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/stage.pdf
http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/stageus.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
odocoileus said:

Can't argue with any of that.

Except to add it's not about format, it's about a different means of storytelling.

Talking heads saying witty or dramatic things in limited sets can work in the theater. Because that is what is expected.

Movies cost more. You need a bigger audience so you need characters and story with wider appeal.

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
I can't argue with any of those links either, but remember that in many ways there are fewer limitations in playwrighting. When a lot of people think of plays they think of minimal locations and a "small" story simply because that's an easier set to build. But you can go the Shakespeare route and jump from battlefields to bedrooms, simply because you don't always need to build the set at all.

That said, here are a few practical issues that I've seen some first time playwrights encounter:

"Bit" Parts
While it's worthwhile for a film actor to come in for a day and shoot a scene with only five lines, it's not very attractive for a stage actor to be there every night of a run for the same kind of role (which is not to say it doesn't still happen). Of course roles can be doubled up, often to great effect - just try to avoid writing a script with five lead characters and a single scene where they all chat with the waitress.

Cast vs Characters
Speaking of doubling, remember that "cast" and "characters" are not the same thing. A theatre that says they're only looking for plays with cast sizes of six or less isn't limiting the number of characters who can appear. Lots of one-person shows have a dozen or more characters.

Costume changes and such
While films can cut from anything to anything, make sure you're writing in the practical time for actors to change costumes or have make-up effects done or whatever. They don't need long, but they do need something. Same thing for set pieces and props.

Movement
The camera can't move, can't cut from one character to another, so give the actors room to move. That doesn't mean writing every step they take into the stage directions, it just means avoiding locking them into the front seat of car for a ten minute scene (again, this is just a suggestion as this does still happen).

Acts
Just because most full length plays are presented with an intermission they are thought of as having two acts, but you can still write in three acts if that works better for you/the story. It just means the producers will likely pick one act break to use as intermission and the other will just glide on by.

I've just realized I rambled on a lot and none of it was about formatting. Hope you find something in that useful RainbowDragon (or anybody else :))

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Very helpful, everyone, thanks - feel free to keep suggestions coming. I can see there are many considerations that are more important than differences in formatting (which was my original question and can be learned fairly easily) and I appreciate you all bringing them up.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I attend theatre regularly, and this makes me seem as if I don't like it, but... IMO, what passes for great wit and humor in theatre is very different than what's funny in a movie or on TV.

Relatively mild, dry humor works very well in theatre. Broad, foreseeable jokes succeed on stage.

About the only humor that doesn't work on stage is body-function and gross-out, probably because most theatre audiences aren't in the demographic that tends to think farts are funny.

Maryn, who saw "Dial M for Muder" on stage recently

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't mistake playwrighting for a series of talking heads. There still has to be dramatic action in a scene, character arc, plot, and everything that is in a story, period. I feel the big differences are the things Greasy Spoon pointed out--the limitations of a theatre are very concise, and s/he? listed them well.

I once had a film director who was directing a play for the first time ask the cast, "How much time to we have for a scene change? Like, two minutes?" We laughed our butts off, frankly.

Get familiar with how plays operate technically, and that will help you write a play that is feasible for the stage. I read one play that pivoted on the main character having a giant hole through his torso for half the play. Another required a huge pot of boiling water to spill all over the floor. How would we DO each of those things?

Also keep in mind that most theatres that are producing new works from unknown playwrights are on limited budgets, so writing plays that require little in terms of set, props, costumes, and lighting will get you looked at.

David Wisehart

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidwisehart.com
I'm a screenwriter who recently wrote his first stage play (in 2,008 lines of rhyming verse, no less).

The main challenge in writing for stage vs. screen was limiting the number of characters and locations. You'll find that most theaters want plays with a single unit set and fewer than eight characters. Four to six seems to be ideal. I didn't manage to scale mine down to that level, as my play is based on a historical events that require a large cast with no doubles.

The good news is that a scene from Valentino: a play in verse will be staged next March as part of the College of the Canyons New Works Festival, so I'll get to see how a live audience reacts.

That, of course, is the best part about writing for theater.

- David

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the upcoming staging, David! I for one would love to hear how it goes.

Cat Scratch said:
I feel the big differences are the things Greasy Spoon pointed out--the limitations of a theatre are very concise, and s/he? listed them well.
And a much delayed thank you to Cat Scratch for the compliment. And in answer to your almost-question: She. :)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I'm not a playwright, but my sister and her partner are. With limited visuals, the playwright must present the story in a way that allows the spectators' imaginations to visualize the scene.

I remember a scene my sister wrote about the women of the Yukon, with a single woman dogsledding across the snowscape, and hitting a moose. We didn't see the moose, or the snow, or even hear the dogs, but we could easily imagine everything with the lighting, the music, and the lyrics.

Achieving the same objective with screenwriting probably takes just as much imagination and care, but I guess you have more resources to make it real for the audience.

Forgive me if I seem ignorant, but it's just my overall impression.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perfectly valid observation, Chumplet. ("Chumplet"? tee-hee) I'll even go a little further and say that even with a huge budget, the stage is far more limiting than film. I bet that even if they'd gotten dogs to bark on cue, fake snow in abundance, and a moose trained to collapse, it still wouldn't have appeared real simply because it's happening on a stage. (I think I like it better that the playwright put all that in the audience's imagination.)

Lots of overlap in writing for the stage versus the screen, but some big differences, too.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Pleased to meetcha too, Maryn. I shall lurk in this subforum occasionally. Since I have relatives in the business, I'm curious about the screenwriting and playwriting process. Who knows, maybe I'm more suited for this kind of writing than novel writing, since I have a tendency to 'direct' my characters and use a lot of figurative crane shots.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a playwright, but my sister and her partner are. With limited visuals, the playwright must present the story in a way that allows the spectators' imaginations to visualize the scene.

A writer for stage has to be aware of the practicalities of writing for stage (cast size/giving actors enough time to move/change between scenes/using space/setting well etc) but not let this limit the scope of the story. It is a director's job to bring a story to life as well as the writer's and a good director can do wonderful things with an ambitious story and put their creative stamp on what is afterall a collaborative process. As Chumplet's sister's story proves, we do not have to limit ourselves to 'four walls and a kitchen sink'.

bison

Registered
Reaction score
"I have Dr. Format screenwriting software - can I use it for playwriting??"

Only if you want to piss-off an Artistic Director somewhere.

Some may think it would be okay, most don't!

Stage formatiing is not as strict as screen, but has accepted norms, nonetheless, which are not like screenplays.

IanFraser

I find theatre script is way more easier (and more fun for me) than film script. Film one has to work at, and visualize every moment, and then write it down. With theatre, I find I can just give the characters the story to have to deal with, and then try to keep up as they jabber their dialog and do battle with whatever the conflicts are. Usually with theatre, I never have to do a second draft - but with film, damn - the revisions and the tweaking just never seem to end..
I suppose it's all about what works for the individual writer..

Kassandra

Registered
Reaction score
Antonin Artaud's Food for thought:

Theatre will only become itself again once the playwrights command new disciplines, change their sources of inspiration and their writing methods. The question we are faced with is of allowing theatre to discover its true language, spatial language, gestural language, language of attitudes, expressions and mime, language of cries and onomatopoeia, an accoustic language where all the objective elements will end up either as visual or aural signs, but which have as much intellectual weight and palpable meaning as the language of words. Words being no longer used exept in the parts of life which are fixed and discursive, like a more precise and objective lucudity appearing at the culmination of an idea...

... aim is to unleash a certain theatrical reality which belongs to the stage, in the physical and organic domain of the stage, exclusively. This reality must be unleashed through the performance, and thus the mise en scene, taking this word in its broadest sense, regarding it as the language of everything which can be "put-on-the-stage" and not as the secondary reality of a text, the more or less active and objective means of expanding a text...

...We must get rid of purely psychological and naturalistic theatre and allow poetry and imagination to exercise their rights once more. However, and this is the novelty, there is a virulent side and I would even say a dangerous side to poetry and imagination to be rediscovered. Poetry is a dissociating and anarchic force which, through analogy, associations and imagery, thrives on the disruption of known relationships. And the novelty will be to disrupt these relationships not just superficially, externally, but internally, i.e. psyhcologically...

I believe it a matter of great urgency that the theatre become aware, once and for all, of what it distinguishes it from written literature. However transient it may be, the art of theatre is based on the use of space, on expression in space and strictly speaking, I don't think it is the fixed arts, inscribed in stone, on canvas or on paper which are the most valid and the most magically effective.

...Those who conside theatre quick pleasure and who deny it the right to take us back to solemn concept, insistent on the difficulty of everything in existence, are responsible for the distrurbing state of affairs in which we are stuck as if blind from birth. Out total inability to react and even to live with the highly acute awareness of the cruelty of existence makes us cattle ready for war and slaughter.

What we don't want to see or end up with is art which fills up our spare time, a lighting conductor, and a performance which is excused its realization in life...

How is it that Western theatre cannot conceive of theatre under any other aspect than dialogue form?

Dialogue -something writen and spoken- does not specifically belong to the stage but to books. The proof is that there is a specioal section in library history textbooks on drama as a subordinate branch in the history of spoken language.

I maintain that the stage is a tangible, physical place that needs to be filled and it ought to be allowed to speak its own concrete language. I maintain that this physical language, aimed at the senses and independent of speech, must first satisfy the senses. There must be poetry for the senses just as ther is for speech, but this physical, tangible language I am refering to is really theatrical insofar as the thoughts its expresses are beyond spoken language.

to be continued ...

Kassandra

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know if it is posssible to change a film script into a playwriting script
actually first i decided to write a script on Victoria Woodhull on cinenergy and than on a friend's suggestion I felt it would be better if it is a play .
would it be ok if we have two or three pages as one scene pl help
padma

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
padma, it sounds as if you need to read more plays.

As well as re-reading this thread from the beginning, check out the playwriting prompts / tips thread in this forum, which may also point you in the right direction.

Also look at some of the posted play samples in our Plays, Radio Scripts forum in Share Your Work (password = vista). Seeing how other aspiring playwrights present their plays might lend you inspiration.

Do you have the opportunity to go to the theater and watch plays being performed?

-Derek

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for yur suggestions .I am reading
as many plays as possible and I have read about play writing
But I feel If I read an annalysis it will be better .
padma

Ian.Fraser

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ianfraserlive.com
the thing is, play writing is a CRAFT.. you don't learn a craft just by reading someone elses analysis, or following someones 'formula' - you learn it best, by doing the work yourself - in this instance, by WRITING.
Sometimes you fail, sometimes you won't - but each attempt teaches you personally how to do it better, so that you improve.
You may well be able, like so many books promise, to 'learn to write in 30 days!' and pick up some techniques and formula's - but that isn't how craftsmanship or excellence is achieved.
Unlike screenplays, 'excellence' in theatre isn't always about 'commercial success'.

Write stuff. Write more stuff. Read plays, find what you like, and try work out why you like it. As others have said - dive into the forums here where people are posting their work, and getting comments..