Status
Not open for further replies.

Janis Love

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowwriter.com
Hello Everyone --
I'm in the middle of writing the Marketing section of my proposal and want to include "blogging" as a means in which to market the book upon publication. My idea is that I would create a blog with excerpts from the book. The book is about professional African-Americans and geared not only to that market, but workplace diversity initiatives. The people featured in the book have tons of connections which will create multiple platforms. I found that there are many African-American blogging sites. I want to include stats about this in the proposal. Where would I find stats on this and how do I include this in the proposal? Our agent is older and doesn't even know about blogging. I have never blogged, so I'm at a loss too. Has anyone out there used this in their proposals?

Thanks,

Janis

Deleted member 42

I would go to one of the blog search Web sites, possibly just Google's BLog search, but probably at least checking a few others, and counting the blogs categorized under the topics that you think fit. I'm going blank on the names of them, now, of course, but that are several sites that categorize blogs by topic.

I would link to an article on blog use for promotion and outreach, and possibly quote from it. Look for one of the many articles in Business Week, the Wall Sreet Journal, or similar "good" publications.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Google's Blog search doesn't include all blogs. It mostly seems to include blogs that are hosted on the major blogging sites only, which, of course, doesn't include people who host their blogs on their own domain. Last time I checked, there was no way to add your blog to their listing, but that was a few months ago, so it could have changed. Point being that that particular blog search is limited in which blogs it will find.

You could also run searches through sites like Technorati.

And I also suggest posting blogging questions in the blogging forum - it's more likely to get noticed by blogging geeks. :) Or, um, you know, wannabe's. :D

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
It doesn't seem to me that an editor would be impressed with promises of a blogtastic future, especially one that's going to begin "upon publication." Cart before horse.

The widespread belief that "If you publish it, they will come" is almost always wrong. I doubt editors will accept "then a miracle happens" as part of a marketing plan.

What will you be selling aside from "I wrote a book" to the people who stop by your blog?

If you have more than that to sell, then what are you doing about it right now?

How long have you had a blog?

How many unique visitors do you get per day?

What topics are primarily addressed?

What are your perceived areas of authority?

When such questions can be answered & great & glowing detail, then blogging should be mentioned.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
i agree with anthony

you need to state whether you have a web presence and the amount of traffic that it receives...

Status
Not open for further replies.