Welcome!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hey sportswriters!

(Er, do you prefer "sportswriters" or "sports writers?" I've seen it written with and without the space. I left the space out because I figured it's like "songwriters," but... right. Anyway.)

Frank will be along shortly, I'm sure, but in the meantime, let me just set out the main guideline for this board, which is that it's meant to discuss sports WRITING, not "hey, did you see the game last night?" and "Go, Team X!" So please try to stay on topic, within reason.

Enjoy! You can thank Silver King for very politely badgering me into this. ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick!

It just goes to show that requests for new forums should always be made in triplicate and posted at the same time.;)

Reaction score
Silver King said:
It just goes to show that requests for new forums should always be made in triplicate and posted at the same time.;)

Yep and that a squeaky wheel is worth two birds from a bush in your hand.

Or something like that.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is great. I promise not to gush about the cowboys. Much.

Or soccer. much.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
A guy goes away for a few days to admire the fall scenery, sit around a fire, sip a little Scotch and try to catch some fish. Mostly not at the same time.

He comes home and in his email he finds a note with the subject line: There's a sportswriting board now...

It's from that nice Jenna Glatzer woman. The body of the mail says:

...and you're its mod. It's all Silver King's fault.

*ducks*

:)

When I've had time to think of suitable retribution...I mean - when I've had time to mull this wonderful honour I'll be back.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Frank. Dclary did offer to mod the new forum in such a highly eloquent manner that I'm surprised he was passed over for the job. I'm sure glad it went to you, though.:Thumbs:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We promise to behave, Frank. Really.

Stop laughing.

ETA: How 'bout them cowboys! (One sentence isn't gushing.)

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Ok - sportswriters - this is my question.

In my hometown, we are always understaffed and a couple of times regular feature writers have been asked to cover a high school football game or something. It's almost hilarious because you can tell the person covering it really has no concept on how to write the story.

Anyway, is it best -in cases like this - to not even have an actual story but just to write down stats and such. And, for games, don't you really have to stay for the whole game? Or do you watch the majority of it and then go to the office and start writing the story while listening to the ending. (I'm thinking also of deadlines - we have 10:30 deadline to turn in the story but if the game does not end until after 10, you are really rushed.)

How much of the game do you actually see? And what about quotes from players or coaches? Do you ever call them from the office to get a quote?

I was only asked once to cover a sports story and I said no. I love sports but I just couldn't imagine covering it. I'm not sure I'd know where to start.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never covered a sports beat or anything close to it, but I have a good friend who does just that. He would drive and see maybe a quarter of a game (unless it was a big one) and then he would book out for another game. All the while he had his radio on in his ear. He didn't get a lot of quotes and such. He covered HS football (a big deal in Texas) and wrote many short articles each night.

His girlfriend had to force him to have a non-sports date after they had been together five years. Everytime they went out it was to a sporting event of some kind. He's moved on and no longer does HS football. He writes a column now. The girlfriend stuck around and ten years and four kids later, I guess you could say it's worked out.

But it was a crazy life. I don't know how he did it.

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! This is totally awesome! BTW, I am a ski/ski fitness writer, and yes snow sports are real sports!

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, believe it or not! Loveland should be opening soon.
OT: I'm working at Copper this season, and I can usually get discount lift tickets for anyone coming out here.

Wait a minute.... What forum am I on? Absolute Write or Epicski?

Because all message boards look the same on the twighlght zone!:D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, those discount tickets seem very desirable. Any destination with a name like "Loveland" sounds like my kind of place to visit. Do I have to learn how to ski, or can I just hang around the bar? More importantly, is there anywhere to (ice) fish around those parts?

I'm packing my long underwear while I await your response.

(Seriously, I'll be posting a list of winter sports markets soon. Hopefully, you'll find some of these helpful, and perhaps add to the list as well?)

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Loveland is more like a "locals" hill, however, my rather trashy ski novel that I will probably never finish, is based at Loveland. Most of the action happens at Breckenridge.

blazesally

I've been covering sports for (gulp!) 16 years now. I've covered everything from the Kentucky Derby (seven times) to heavyweight boxing fights (they really bend over to accomodate the press), to women's water polo at Princeton University. As for covering high school football games, I've always made it a point to stay to the bitter end, especially to make sure I get all the stats and corral the coach for quotes. Quotes are what editors usually look for - they more or less prove you were at the game or made an effort to contact people.

For most of my career, however, I've covered horse racing, and really love it. Every horse has a multitude of stories connected with it - the trainer, jockey, owner, breeder and sometimes even the groom. I used to do a lot of traveling to the bigger races, but now that my two daughters are in school, it's harder for me to leave. So I cover the local races now, and freelance for two horse racing magazines, as well.

If I can help anyone here with any sports writing questions, please drop me a line!

Blazesally :)

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Hi blazesally. I'm really glad you found and joined us. I hope folks take you up on your kind offer.

I don't have a lot of experience with horse racing but I attended a couple of Queen's Plate races here in Ontario - Canada's biggest thoroughbred race. I was lucky enough to be with someone who had an "in" and got a tour of the stables and backstretch. It was fascinating.

And I only lost a few bucks.

blazesally

Hi aka eraser! I've never covered any Canadian races, but I've always wanted to. Back in the mid-1990's, the Breeders' Cup was at Woodbine and I had my plane tickets all ready, but I was expecting my youngest daughter and the doctor told me I shouldn't travel. To me, Canadian racing is classier than that conducted here in the U.S. Hopefully one day I'll get up there.

Blazesally