Bush's Climate of Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Funny how they can't keep a logical consistency in these kinds of blurbs.

Is el Nino a consequence of Global Warming? Or maybe Global Warming is making the el Nino effect stronger...Or perhaps el Nino should be treated as an an entirely unrelated event (even though every other weather event is linked to Global Warming), that way the effects of it can be discounted in the past when these effects throw of the smoothness of the curve...or bend it in a different direction.

There are many historical weather events which no one is claiming is caused by Global Warming. Such as El Nino and Asian Monsoons.

But you knew that!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
English Dave said:
You Pinko!

The BBC are the tools of the rest of the world's democratized industrial nations. All of whom are clearly anti-American. Hells Bells, why do you hate American scientists? Because their opinion seems to differ from everyone elses?

I refer to Billy's post. ' Where are the hurricanes?'

Huh? If last years were the worst ever recorded then this years should be twice that.

Global warming is the last refuge of those who hate freedom.

The "hurricanes" this year are concentrated in the west Pacific. There's an incipient El Nino developing out there, an anomalous swelling of warm water in the equatorial regions of the Pacific Ocean, which has an effect on immediate global weather patterns that includes suppression of the developing low-pressure systems over northern Africa that drift into the Atlantic and spawn hurricanes. This also results in droughts in some areas, anomalously big rains in others where there shouldn't be such. El Ninos are cyclic events, but the last one a few years back was the worst since weather records have been kept. And they are caused by extra warmth in the central Pacific.

That's the science lesson for today. My invoice will be forthcoming.

caw.

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
El Nino was a Republican conspiracy created by by Ronald Reagan in the 60's to move all the smog out of California and send it to the Democratic East Coast. It almost worked, but we caught on when Penn Gillette started warning us through his famous "bunny in the woodchipper" trick and Teller mysteriously spoke one day, saying only four words before returning to perpetual silence. "El Nino Republican Conspiracy". That was enough to convince affluent East Coast Democrats to start contributing large sums of money to Mario Cuomo's "Buy a High Pressure System" program - co-sponsored by Teddy Kennedy and Joe Biden. Several large high pressure systems were purchased and placed startiing at the NY borders and going south as far as Virginia -- effectively blocking the California smog and sending it back to California. They think we are dumb here in NY right? Take THAT Governator!

Last edited:

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
The "hurricanes" this year are concentrated in the west Pacific.

Mmmmmm? Just in case California switches?

Excellent planning!

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
English Dave said:
Mmmmmm? Just in case California switches?

Excellent planning!
It's all a part of our Democratic response to the Republican conspiracy. We are also working on sending California plagues of locusts, rains of blood and frogs and possibly even cats and dogs. We have Ted Kennedy working on that one. We plan on running Ahnold all the way back to Austria.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
veinglory said:
Some of you people seriously need to take up writing satire professionally. LOL

Problem is, they don't always know they're being funny...

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
persiphone_hellecat said:
It's all a part of our Democratic response to the Republican conspiracy. We are also working on sending California plagues of locusts, rains of blood and frogs and possibly even cats and dogs.

lol

Is that on top of the suicide bombers with bags full of old Japanese car parts so it's raining Datsun Cogs?

Wordworm

Impotent Omnipotent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gxo.com
Hmmm..I find it curious that this thread on concerns about environmental issues would be relegated to Politics and Religion, when threads such as U.S. Abusing Iraki Citizens worse than Saddam, or And, now Falwell compares Hillary to Lucifer, or Speaking of the Stone Age, or What is WRONG with George Allen?, or Holy Moley... TERRIBLE News for Democrats in an Election Year, or Oh, uh, about that devil comment...?, or SO WHAT??, all of which are clearly political in tone, are left alone.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Wordworm said:
Hmmm..I find it curious that this thread on concerns about environmental issues would be relegated to Politics and Religion, when threads such as U.S. Abusing Iraki Citizens worse than Saddam, or And, now Falwell compares Hillary to Lucifer, or Speaking of the Stone Age, or What is WRONG with George Allen?, or Holy Moley... TERRIBLE News for Democrats in an Election Year, or Oh, uh, about that devil comment...?, or SO WHAT??, all of which are clearly political in tone, are left alone.

You've got to leave something in TIO! lol

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
As Gaffer would say. "Far be it for us to demonize a thread about actual demons."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhh . . . folks . . . by west Pacific, I'm referring to the western side of the Pacific Ocean. In other words, Asia. We are this moment experiencing rains in Alaska that are remnants of one of the typhoons that circulate up every now and then from the Philippines, Taiwan, China, Japan, etc. California has problems, but getting hit with a hurricane isn't likely one of them.

caw.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
Uhhh . . . folks . . . by west Pacific, I'm referring to the western side of the Pacific Ocean. In other words, Asia. We are this moment experiencing rains in Alaska that are remnants of one of the typhoons that circulate up every now and then from the Philippines, Taiwan, China, Japan, etc. California has problems, but getting hit with a hurricane isn't likely one of them.

caw.

So far. Mwwwwwwwwahhhha!

SeanDSchaffer

I agree with Blacbird: the West Coast of the United States does not see all that many hurricanes. I live in Oregon, about 100 miles inland. In my lifetime, I can count on one finger how many hurricanes have hit my area.

That hurricane hit us in 1979.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
SeanDSchaffer said:
I agree with Blacbird: the West Coast of the United States does not see all that many hurricanes. I live in Oregon, about 100 miles inland. In my lifetime, I can count on one finger how many hurricanes have hit my area.

Can't argue with that. The UK has had few hurricanes, floods, Earthquakes or rains of frogs in living memory.

Apart from the hurricane. And floods.

SeanDSchaffer

SeanDSchaffer said:

My Emphasis.

I feel like I should point out that by "My area", I meant the Portland Metropolitan Area, not the whole of Oregon.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
SeanDSchaffer said:
My Emphasis.

I feel like I should point out that by "My area", I meant the Portland Metropolitan Area, not the whole of Oregon.

Yeah, fvck them!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wordworm said:

Thats the way it is going to be. Ok?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
English Dave said:
Can't argue with that. The UK has had few hurricanes, floods, Earthquakes or rains of frogs in living memory.

Apart from the hurricane. And floods.

I lived in the U.K. (Surrey) in 1988-1990, and one winter we got hit with a sequence of North Atlantic storms, a couple of them having hurricane-force winds (100MPH). 40 or 50 people died, numerous of them from having trees fall on them, either on foot or in cars. Technically, these weren't hurricanes, as those by definition are tropical storms. These developed in the North Atlantic region, much like the famed "Perfect Storm" off New England, the one of Sebastian Junger's book. But other than that, they were big, nasty low-pressure cyclonic storms, and profoundly unpleasant.

caw.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
P.S. Why didn't we have a bad hurricane season this year? I thought that was a major aspect of the global warming? Did we cool down since last year?

What's going on with that?

El Nino.

That other thing that happens because of global warming. We might not be having a bad time here on the east coast this year with hurricanes (fingers crossed), but there will be some other places that will be having a bad run.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
emeraldcite said:
Actually, the slower season this year is not being attributed to el Nino, as of yet. It wasn't strong enough to have an impact. It will likely impact the 2007 season, if you believe in that sort of thing...

Personally, I think the reason is that weather can be unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.