• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WordServe Literary (Greg Johnson)

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I queried Barbara Scott on Saturday and got a rejection today (Monday). Very nice form rejection. I appreciated her prompt reply.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Has anyone queried Barbara Scott lately? I saw that someone above got a very quick response, but I've been waiting a couple of weeks (which, I realize, isn't long). Just wondering on response times :)

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, CharleyGirl,

I queried her on 10/17, no response, but it's early days yet. As you said, a couple of weeks is not a long wait. Best wishes!

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bewilderingstories.com
Those of you who queried a specific agent probably were wiser than I. Originally sent query to generic admin address on 8/20. Received request for full from the admin, Sarah Joy, on 8/26.

Since then nothing. I followed up a few days ago and haven't had a response.

For those interested, my work was not Christian fiction and I made that plain in my original query. I queried the agency in the first place because I really enjoyed Rachel's great blog, all the same. The reply I received from Sarah Joy was signed "Blessings", so maybe their mindset still is focused on Christian fiction... we'll see.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Not necessarily, DL. Lots of people sign "blessings."

If you're asking if WordServe sells to the general market as well as Christian, that answer is yes. I got my start in the CBA (four novels published there) but my new series definitely doesn't fit there.

I'm working on final edits for the first one, and then Barb will start sending it out.

Does that help?

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, John. I was really wondering how broad their interests are, since the agency information seemed to be mostly focused on Christian, self-help, and "New Age" (if I can call it that). I presumed they were willing to branch outside the market because they requested my novel to read, but when I got Sarah's reply I was a bit unsure.

Have you found them good about replying, and do you remember how long it took to get a yea/nay to your original requested manuscript? I sent my full per request in late August, followed up not too long ago, and have not had a reply. The holidays distract everyone, so I'm trying not to read too much into this. But.

I guess I'm asking: do they ask for a full, and then not bother to give a decision if they don't want it? Or does it take a while (longer than 3 months) and I should not get too pessimistic? Should I write them off as a non-responder (though I would consider that rude in response to a requested manuscript), or should I assume the lack of response so far may mean they're still considering, or haven't got around to, my work?

Thanks.

Danielle

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'd really like to know, I suppose, if the admin (Sarah) even sent my manuscript on to an agent... she said something about reviewing it and deciding whether to send it to Rachel etc. But did she? Not answering, at least so far.

I wonder if I should give it "xxx" more time (another month?) of non-response, follow up one more time, and if I get no response from the admin after that, email the agent directly. Or give up on Wordserve and go on to better things.

Last edited:

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
According to today's Publishers Lunch, Rachelle Gardner is no longer at this agency. She's moved to Books & Such Literary Agency.

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, Rachelle has left, which I'm sure must be a loss to Wordserv. I submitted to them in the first place after reading her lively blog.

I never received any reply again from Sarah Joy Freese, so she must be considered a non-replier... after requesting a full manuscript. I nudged her with one polite (and just one) followup email asking if they were interested. No response to that, either. (I doubt Rachelle ever saw my submission, so I'm certainly not blaming her).

I can understand agents not replying to unsolicted queries. But when they do ask for a full manuscript to be sent to them, to not reply with a yea or nay is very poor manners, IMHO.

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know where WordServe is physically located? Their website does not seem to divulge that. Just curious.

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I queried Alice Crider today, since she has only been there since Sept. I am hoping she is looking to build her list.

Last edited:

Woofnine

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Barbara December of 2011. April of 2012 Sarah emailed, requesting a full. After about nine months of silence, I nudged. That was a month ago. I have not heard anything back.

Vivairi

Imposter Syndrome and Black Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bittybooknook.blogspot.com
Has anyone had any recent experiences with this agency? Specifically with a Ms. Keely Boeving? My YA novel is centered around Christian mythology, and because WordServe caters to both the Christian market and the general market, I feel like it would be worthwhile to query.