• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Irene Goodman Literary Agency

Sheluvspink

IA-Romance Editing at 84,000k
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Rachel yesterday and receieved a full request today 5-21

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Ms. Goodman this afternoon, but I did not receive an automatic response thing saying that they had received my query. On the site it said to expect this, but I didn't get one. I'm a little unsure of what to do. I think it went in, because I didn't get an email from Comcast saying the email didn't go through or anything, but I still would like to know. Any advice on what I should do?

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Ms. Goodman this afternoon, but I did not receive an automatic response thing saying that they had received my query. On the site it said to expect this, but I didn't get one. I'm a little unsure of what to do. I think it went in, because I didn't get an email from Comcast saying the email didn't go through or anything, but I still would like to know. Any advice on what I should do?

I sent them two separate queries (one 2 and a half years ago and another 1 and a half years ago). No automated response from them either on both tries. What did you send? Query, first 10pgs, synopsis, and bio? And if so, how long were your synopsis and bio? They may have an aggressive spam filter...

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Has anyone here queried this agency for nonfiction lately? While it says that a couple of the agents rep nonfiction, the submission instructions seem solely geared to fiction - i.e., the ms. should be completed and you should send ten pages and a synopsis.

I am a pretty old hand at this (have acquired and broke up with two agents in the last ten years or so) but I am confused. I can't decide whether to send a query and proposal, or just forget about it.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've queried with non-fiction recently, but it was memoir, so I did exactly as they said. No word yet. But it's only been a week and a half.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent interactions with this agency? Particularly Miriam Kriss?

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
wanted to pop over to my AbsoluteWrite pals and say if you have the chance to work with Barbara - DO IT. i signed with her back in 2012 and she has been the very best advocate a writer could dream of. she just sold my debut novel (a YA Gothic Thriller) and i cannot wait to cheer you on when she sells your novel too!

Stats for those interested: it took 5 years of query trenching/being agented, more than a handful of books later, and LOTS of rejections (read: a couple hundred), but the main point is this: KEEP WRITING AND NEVER GIVE UP. you never know when your door is going to open. i'm rooting for all of you! it's hard hearing "no" (or not hearing anything at all, believe me I know) and getting form rejections is NOT easy, but keep going.

again, i cannot recommend Barbara or the entire team at Irene Goodman enough. ***sending you all tons of good query vibes***

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
I've queried Barbara over the last several years with at least 3 novels, but no response. I'm so glad you've hit the mother lode, Mysteryscribe!

thank you, Chumplet! i'm sending you tons of good mojo and vibes - Barbara rejected the first projected I sent her, and then we signed with the second (my fifth book). So there's always, always hope!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
thank you, Chumplet! i'm sending you tons of good mojo and vibes - Barbara rejected the first projected I sent her, and then we signed with the second (my fifth book). So there's always, always hope!

I would even get all warm and fuzzy with a rejection!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody have recent experience with Irene Goodman? Recently, I did a super WD Webinar with her (Writing Historical Fiction). It included a log line and two page critique. She also wanted a full synopsis to know more about the book. I sent everything in three days ago, and yesterday Ms Goodman wrote back requesting the complete. I'm super chuffed about the request, and also curious to hear people's experiences with her, good or bad. Thanks in advance! :)

ETA: I eventually heard back from Ms. Goodman: the critique she'd done for the ms I'd submitted to the WD Webinar, which she 'loved' and was excited about seeing seemed to have slipped her mind. It was like a completely different agent had seen the same pages and had totally different opinions. Ah well... She was lovely to deal with, very frank and straightforward, but her advice to scrap the first part of the book was so out there, especially after her first comments, I had no problem ignoring it. I signed with my agent shortly after her pass.

Last edited:

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a rejection from one is a rejection from all agency? Their website says "do not submit to more than one of our agents." But I'm not sure whether that means not to submit to more than one at a time or if a rejection from one is a rejection from all. Thanks!

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent experience with this agency? Particularly Victoria Marini?

She favorited my PitMad pitch. One month after, she sent a rejection (clearly form rejection; text fit a cold query, not a pitch request) - but it was nicely worded.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
With over a year since the last comment, I just wanted to check if anyone has had recent experience with this agency. I was also wondering if anyone can still find the "do not submit to more than one of our agents" text on their website because I can't find it. :tongue

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Way late to answer this, but on Victoria Marini's website, it says: "PLEASE NOTE: IGLA is not a "a pass from one of us is a pass from all" agency. While we ask that you don't submit to any agents here simultaneously, if one agent passes on your material feel free to try another agent here!"

Will probably query her tomorrow morning with an MG fantasy.

Reactions: LStein and Fiender

taylorquills

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bittybooknook.blogspot.com
Hi all! I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate thread to post to about the following news, but I saw it on Twitter and thought that it might be useful to say something.

According to her Twitter post, which I'll summarize here, Natalie Lakosil, previously a senior agent at the Irene Goodman Literary Agency, has founded her own literary agency, Looking Glass Literary & Media, "a full-service team 'whose priority is championing authors and books that reflect the diverse world around us.'"

She is joined by associate agents Grace Milusich, Antoinette V. Sluytman, and Lee O'Brien, who all seem to have come over from the Irene Goodman Literary Agency as well.

Reactions: ElaineA

Turtle2023

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on, but it looks like all the agents except Irene herself have left or joined other agencies. Strange!