Recommendations?

stupidmansuit

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Please forgive me if I'm putting this in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where it should go. I'm in the mood for a good book, and was hoping you guys could give a few suggestions. I really am in the mood for a book that will have a huge effect on me-- I've been devasated by books in the past, like after I read John Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meany, I felt like I could never read anything again cause it would never be good enough.
So, my question is to you all, what do you consider required reading for this life? The books that affected you most deeply? I guess I really just need a good book.
Many thanks.

Sesselja

When I read The Secret History by Donna Tarrt, I exclaimed that I wanted to marry the book. So I would recommend that one.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
I recently read 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon(translation by Graves) and it is one of the best books I have ever read. We'll see if it stands the test of time but it really hit me hard. I can't recommend it enough.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Depends what kind of thing you enjoy, but if you like literary fiction, I can recommend Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. It's powerful, devastating in places and very intelligently written.

Reaction score
Huckleberry Finn remains the winner and still champion of American books. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' THE YEARLING won almost every important award and is excellent. Tolstoy's WAR & PEACE sits atop Mt.Olympus...alone. But you must endure 200 pages of introductions before it takes flight. John Steinbeck's CANNERY ROW and SWEET THURSDAY are fun, excellent reads, too. GEORGIA SCENES by Abraham Baldwin Longstreet was published in 1835 and is still in print. It's a hoot and influenced Mark Twain's style.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three off the top of my pointy little head . . .

The Stranger, Camus

The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, McCullers

kilamangiro

Registered
Reaction score
you've probably read both, but "To Kill A Mockingbird," or "Wuthering Heights" probably fit the bill.
For a contemporary novel I would recommend "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time," by Mark Haddon. There is a thread about it below.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
stupidmansuit said:
I've been devasated by books in the past, like after I read John Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meany, I felt like I could never read anything again cause it would never be good enough. So, my question is to you all, what do you consider required reading for this life? The books that affected you most deeply? I guess I really just need a good book.
”A Prayer for Owen Meany” is one of my favorite books. I loved the way John wrote Owen’s lines in CAPS; awesome and made sense at the end. Anyways, to answer your question, you can read the book I’m reading and maybe explain it to me (JK). Here are a few recommendations: “I Know This Much Is True” by Wally Lamb. This may be considered a woman’s book, but the subject matter affected me - “My Sister’s Keeper” by Jodi Picoult. The top book I recommend is “The Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This book really inspired me to write. Hope you find a good book.

Last edited:

stupidmansuit

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies/suggestions! Got lots of ideas, and have been looking on amazon. I usually kind of read just literary type novels, but I am open to everything, really. Like right now I'm reading Gregory Maguire's Wicked, for the first time (after falling for the stage show), and am in rapturous love with it.
Re Owen Meany- I still don't think I've ever found anything as good, that affected me so, again. The ending of that book, the last 100 pages, just made me put my head in my hands and weep. Truly.
Ones I think I might like to try are the Kafka on the Shore, Shadow of the Wind, and I Know This Much Is True (has been on my shelf for forever), but they all sound good... Curious Incident, too, I keep hearing good things about....
Thanks again!

kali_weim

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like too much of a newbie, but I really enjoyed "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." It shows how the people you meet can change your life and the life of the ones you meet.

The ending was great for me.

seppuku05

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.seppuku-arts.co.nr
'The Remains of the Day' by Kazuo Ishiguro is centered around life, there are is a lot to be learned from it - The narrator is the main character and an unreliable narrator, who most of the time is in the delusion of his own perfect world, to only come to terms with it in his first holiday/days off from working as butler for 40 years. - This has been high rated and made into a movie starring Antony Hopkins, James Fox, Christopher Reeve, Hugh Grant (Before Notting Hill) and whats-her-face ;) But if you must, watch the movie last, the book is far better.

'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro - Another great novel by him, I actually loved this, I think it is much better than his other novel listed here, he got a lot of bad crit from the 'Unconsoled' but this one makes up for it. I managed to grip onto this really well - It's basically the life story of the character 'Kathy' but there's more to it, in her childhood her and her friends have been 'extra special' from anybody else...-The ending was quite sad and sweet.

'1984' by George Orwell - Yeah it's more of a political statement, but it makes you see things differently and apply certain things to society today, perhaps life changing the sense you're going to be skeptic of what you see and try to lead your own life and not one the media or other people try to set out for you.

'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' by Lynne Truss - Non Fiction, but knowing there are pedantic nutters like her out there, it will make you think twice about your punctuation, ;)

PrettySpecialGal

roll, roll, roll in ze hay
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like too much of a newbie, but I really enjoyed "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." It shows how the people you meet can change your life and the life of the ones you meet.

The ending was great for me.

ooooh- I do love this one.

Also- HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan- that's my fav

I usually read children's lit- there's so much out there that can speak to us adults as well. JACOB HAVE I LOVED by Katherine Patterson, anything by Kimberly Willis Holt...
need more?
:)

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to reading S.E. Hinton's newest, "Some of Tim's Stories"
Her YA novels ("The Outsiders" and "That Was Then, This is Now") made a big impression on me when I was a teen.