• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Janklow & Nesbit Associates

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Julie Just said no BTW - she really is looking more to building her young adult and middle grade list. So honored that she was even interested! Just thought to update you all. She was super-nice and responded really quickly and professionally. Seems like she would be a dream to work with...

hmm, i queried her 5/27 (with MG) and am wondering if she's a non-responder if not at all interested. i didn't get that same day "maybe" response you did.

any other experience with Julie Just queries?

and yes! you should be honored she considered it!

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
hmm, i queried her 5/27 (with MG) and am wondering if she's a non-responder if not at all interested. i didn't get that same day "maybe" response you did.

any other experience with Julie Just queries?

and yes! you should be honored she considered it!

I sent my EQ on 5/26 and haven't heard from her either JoyMC, so I've been wondering the same thing about if she's a non-responder.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I queried JJ on May 26 as well. According to AgentQuery (which explicitly says the instructions are straight from JJ), she wants your first pages as an attachment. Which I did. But I can't help wondering if I should have pasted them, anyway. Or maybe she's just a non-responder...

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Queried Julie on 6/20. Nudged on 6/22 after receiving an offer of rep, and she replied right away and requested the full.

Fingers crossed!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, congratulations, Ether! You are on fire!

I'm also in the JJ no-response club. She appears to be a non-responder unless interested, since her few responses seem to be quick.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
OK, good to know. Thanks Tarak. I queried on June 16th so hopefully I'll have a response of some kind in the next few days!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, people. :) And good luck!

I also wanted to ask whether Ms. Machinist usually confirms the arrival of the full if it was sent via email.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg

I also wanted to ask whether Ms. Machinist usually confirms the arrival of the full if it was sent via email.

I sent mine by email but didn't get a confirmation. I usually don't worry about it if my prior emails made it with no trouble.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score

She did in my case--for both the initial request and the resubmission.

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Machinist got back to me this morning, and she rejected my manuscript. She found it "enjoyable" but did not fall in love with the material, so she feels she's not a good fit.

Oh, well. Better luck next time, I guess.

She seems like a fantastic agent though so I'll definitely try again.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
I received a very nice rejection this morning from Alexandra Machinist. She complimented my writing and my heroine but said she's not taking on vampire fiction right now because it's just about impossible to sell right now. She also invited me to query her in the future (assuming it's not about vampires). It may have been a standard rejection, but there were enough specifics that I felt good despite the R. I would definitely query her again.

tanstaafl8

Registered
Reaction score
Alas. Received R today - she had full for about six weeks. Loveliest R I have ever received. Had no editorial suggestions b/c she said that she really thought that it was her, not me, and that someone else would adore it.
::sniff::
Ah well. Onward...

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear that taanstafl8! Hang in there!

And sorry to hear about your R too, Tarak, though I have to admit to being somewhat bemused by it. If she didn't think she can sell a vampire manuscript in this market, why would she request the full in the first place? That just seems....unnecessarily frustrating as a writer. I've gotten a couple of R's myself along similar lines - where the ultimate R on the full is because something is simply not to their tastes or what they're looking for right now...and that something was very apparent in my query in the first place! It's like...what are you doing to me?!

Last edited:

alohachild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycmoore.com
Alexandra Machinist

Equeried 8/4, full request 8/8! Looks like she asks for a lot of fulls and rejects them later??? Should I be excited?

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query to Alexandra

Sent a query to Alexandra this afternoon for my historical fiction. Will post back once I hear something.
Bryan

The_Kranky_Crow

Skin so thick, I'm almost a lizard.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi all! I queried Ms. Just on 9/17/11 and figured she was "no/no," but lo and behold! I received a full request on my contemporary YA today (11/22/11).