• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Greyhaus Literary Agency (Scott Eagan)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Let me tell you my observations of their website. I'm assuming you found it, but if not, it's http://www.greyhausagency.com/ In the About Us page, I found the overuse of caps and exclamations extremely unprofessional. Also, it tells a lot about what the agency is looking for, but nothing about the agent's experience. It also struck me as odd that they only publish with RWA recognized publishers. To me, it seems like they are limiting their options, but this may just be my opinion because I have no background in romance and if that's a common practice for romance agencies. In Agency News, they have a typo, and once again, overuse of exclamation. It's practically every other sentence. It's driving me crazy. Overall, the website gave me a bad feeling. They seemed unprofessional and never mentioned credentials. I would've appreciated an agent bio.

Then again, on Preditors and Editors, they have the dollar sign, meaning they've had legitimate sales. Maybe they are legitimate. Either way, I still want to smack the person who wrote the text for the website.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
It also struck me as odd that they only publish with RWA recognized publishers. To me, it seems like they are limiting their options, but this may just be my opinion because I have no background in romance and if that's a common practice for romance agencies.

I don't know of any other romance-specific agencies, but I find nothing wrong with limiting submissions to RWA-recognized publishers. That will include all of the biggies, and any publisher that has been in business a certain length of time and sold at least a (don't know what it is now) number of copies of a romance novel as set forth in RWA guidelines for membership to PAN.

Too many romance authors have been burned in the past by start-up publishers who don't come through for them.

Mo

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
I met Scott at a conference and even though he doesn't rep my genre I found him to have a solid grasp on the industry and to be thoroughly professional and non-scammy. He is a single-agent shop and mentioned because of this he has to be selective about taking on projects. He does ahere to the AAR canon.

(Also, I have a theory on the caps/exclamation marks on his About page...he's a very enthusiastic, excitable guy and that's sort of the way he talks...or he could just like exclamation marks!!!)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Scott is a very dear friend of mine, and a chaptermate in several RWA chapters. He's located in Washington state, but travels to the east coast extensively to meet with editors. He does indeed have several solid sales, and is well regarded in the industry. He's also extremely selective in the authors he reps, and is one of the very few I've met that works extensively with his clients. If he likes a manuscript, but it needs some help to get it ready for publication, he'll take the time to read it as many times as it takes.

Nothin' but :LilLove: for Scott!

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Seemingly one of the good guys

I've just posted an e-quiry to Mr. Eagan's website. After submitting to another agent, the entire manuscript per her request, and having it lost in a black hole with major suction power (agent included):e2brows:, it was a real leap of faith for me. What intriqued me was his section offering writing suggestions to get the muse activated. What agent really gives two figs about our muse? Most are so desperate for the next English Patient, Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter million dollar sales--kinda how McDonad's looks at a cow probably--that oodles of great fiction ends up bypassed.

Oooh. Did I just soapbox? Oh mi' God. Sorry guys. Off with my head, off with my head! I'll shuffle to the corner and stand there till mi' knees quiver, dully punished.:e2smack:

K

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I sent him a very challenging project in a query, and he replied wanting me to mail him three chapters and a synopsis. I sent it right out. He looks legit to me, he's also very focused on what he reps. but adventurous within tht framework.

He must be adventurous to have asked for a partial on what I sent him.

Regards,
Scott

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I know I should be jaded by now...

BUT I'M DOING CARTWHEELS!!!!!! Received an email asking for the fist 100 pages, synopsis....doin' the snoopy dance:snoopy:

I know, I'm a doof.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Last edited:

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, ya'll! I just received a request for a full from Mr. Eagan regarding my fantasy romance, so I will post when something happens.

(doing a happy dance 'cause I now have three fulls and two partials out, yay!)

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
He declined mine very politely, but I recognized that his opinions were personal to me. Good luck, I liked him. I sent out a requested partial on the same project to Spieler Agency late last night.

Regards,
Scott

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
clara bow said:
Thanks for this thread, ya'll! I just received a request for a full from Mr. Eagan regarding my fantasy romance, so I will post when something happens.

(doing a happy dance 'cause I now have three fulls and two partials out, yay!)

Well, it was a pass. Just received the letter a few minutes ago. I knew something was up when I read his latest "Scott's Thoughts" on his Web site today discussing all the rejection letters he had just written. Clearly, part of it was directed at me because he mentioned the word "snow" and the word "snow" is part of my title...hm....

Anyway, paranoid delusions aside, he said he liked the premise, but the voice didn't speak to him and felt it was rushed. He was careful to base his feedback in the context of the romance market, which I thought was nice (akin to what Popeyesays wrote).

Oh well. that's the second agent who liked the premise of this novel but had one issue or another with execution. Oh well. onward and upward.

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
Since some of you know him, maybe you can answer this. Has he made any sales to the bigger NY houses? All of the ones listed on his website are to epubs. ETA: I did find sales to Pocket and Avalon.

I'm thinking of sending him a query, so I want as much info as possible.

Last edited:

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I thiiiink (and don't quote me on it) that the Pocket one was for his wife...? And I'm not sure he made those, though I believe he reps her now. I think he did make the Avalon one, though that's one of the smaller NY presses.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. :D

I believe he's made sales to Triskelion, as well, though you don't need an agent to sell to them.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I also received a request for the first 100 pp and synopsis from Mr. Eagan. When I saw my SASE from his office, I immediately thought, "Well, yet another rejection." I was shocked and happy when I saw the request. Nothing may come of it, but for a few moments I've felt encouraged. He seems quite nice.

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
I just met Scott yesterday at a conference. VERY nice man and very approachable. It was funny since I'd sent him a query and not heard back yet. He remembered my query and had just sent the response during the conference. He couldn't recall but thought it was a pass but this morning I woke to the email and request for more! (he'd apologized and had confused mine with another one with a dragon in it as well).

So i'm off to get everything put together so it can be sent out.

para

Registered
Reaction score
I was just coming to check this guy out. He seems nice enough it's just well... looking at his clients, he doesn't seem to have sold to a publisher that doesn't accept unagented manuscript. Think I might give him a miss.

Petsey

Registered
Reaction score
Closed to submissions

I found this on the website: No notations for how long its closed.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Greyhaus IS CLOSED TO SUBMISSIONS!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]As of Oct. 30, 2008, Greyhaus is closed to submissions. If you have a submission request from me, or a manuscript that is postmarked as of Oct. 30, 2008, I will consider your work.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The one exception...
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If you are author that has been offered a contract from a print publisher and are looking for representation, please send me the contract information as well.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Please send all information to:[/FONT]

para

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. The client list has disappeared from the last time I saw that site. The covers page only has covers for four authors, one of whom must be an ebook author.
http://www.greyhausagency.com/AuthorBooks.html
It is probably more profitable for them to teach seminars & classes than represent clients at publishing houses who accept unagented manuscripts.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
He requested a partial of mine a while ago. Ended up rejecting it, but he was prompt and gave feedback. It was just a couple sentences on why it didn`t work for him, and I really appreciated that extra bit of time spent rather than just another form rejection. No complaints here.

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a partial into him for a paranormal romance on 8/26. Fingers crossed!

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man! Now I'm so nervous. If you check out Scott's blog today, his title is "Why do we request, then reject."

He goes on and on about how a project can be pitched well, and then once the partial arrives either the writing is bad or the synopsis has unimportant plot lines entwined.

I guesstimated that he received my partial yesterday! I really hope he wasn't talking about mine :( Guess I'll have to wait for that R to come across my email.

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
I read it too...it's great that we can get a feel for where he is at in his reading...at least we have some hints that he is looking at partial submissions and whatnot. I don't know if mine has arrived yet or not. I have a tracking number (delivery confirmation not signature) but sometimes when it crosses the border they forget to scan it. So I may or may not fall into that category...depending on whether my partial has arrived or not!