The five-year winter has truly ended

Mallika

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.undertheshade.com
This isn't anything as major as a sale or completing another novel, but it feels like a small accomplishment nonetheless. I thought I'd share it with you guys, the people who would most understand the way I'm feeling right now. :)

As I mentioned before in my introduction thread, the siren call of writing hit me early. (I can still remember my first 'published' piece -- a descriptive essay about my third-grade teacher that appeared in the school's quarterly newsletter.) Woven through the productive years -- when both pen and typewriter (and later on, the computer) were my bosom friends and I could dash off a short story in one long session -- are ones where the landscape of my writing life displayed nothing more than deep snow drifts and frozen vegetation, the stories within me silenced and hiding deep in the caverns of my mind. There they huddled, waiting and watching for even the tiniest flicker of light, for five long years of winter.

(During that time I still wrote, but the fruits of my craft were only non-fiction articles for my job. I worked at a publishing house that printed English-language lifestyle magazines in Bangkok, under a boss who was wonderful in every aspect except for the fact that he kept pushing for a cooler, hipper tone to each submitted article. After yet another time when he wanted me to write an article that was "hip, cool, and in your face," I briefly wondered if I was going to have to drop words like fo' shizzle into the piece to satisfy his urge to be the next cool thang.)

The long winter ended a few months months ago, when I broke through the ice and began to write fiction again. Spring came, warmth and light with it. Winter, however, wasn't yet completely gone -- blizzards came howling through from time to time. Nevertheless, I hobbled along, writing a bit of this and a bit of that, piecing together my thoughts, various story arcs, and character studies. A few weeks ago, I began a bit of worldbuilding for an epic fantasy story that I had in mind. Today, fragments of various fantasy stories, themes, and elements that have been running around in my head for the past two years suddenly clicked, coalescing into an overall story arc that has me completely excited.

I've finally hit that place where I've left my self-doubts behind, where I'm not agonizing over every word, every detail, and every paragraph. I've finally gentled my internal editor enough to let myself relax and actually feel pleasure again in the act of writing.

It's been a long time coming, but winter has truly ended. Spring is definitely here.

Last edited:

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
What a beautiful way to put it across, Mallika. You sure know how to weave words into a tapestry. The winter won't be able to lurk around too long. :)

Sury

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's hoping the days continue to lengthen and new leaves continue to sprout from your story.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have anything poetic to add. Just adding my good wishes!

Happy writing!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
I would say your words are definately flowing now! Congrats to you!
Keep up the confidence, it will take you a long way! :)

Dpsi4

Registered
Reaction score
When you hit that point where you stop thinking you're wasting your time and start realizing you can do it, is as important a step as landing an agent or a publisher, if not more important. Of course, that doubt will always come back, all writers live with it. But conquering it once means it can be conquered again. :)

Sailor Kenshin

I am too on MSN IM! :(
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaganshikenshin.livejournal.com
Yay for you, Mallika!

I went for three years without being able to write. Then, the end of this April, I started a project and had 350 pages by June.

Sometimes you really need to rest! :)

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Wooo, that's a long winter. *brrrrrr*

Hope you enjoy an even longer Spring. :)

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's so nice when all those ideas running in your head finally gel (and you stifle the self-editor) and get them down. I guess it's like an athlete being in "the zone". Long may it last!

Mallika

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.undertheshade.com
Alicia, thanks for the PM -- I've replied to it.

And thanks everyone for the encouragement and well-wishes. It's been wonderful being able to write without feeling terrible about the words I put down. It's very liberating, and the story is coming along quite nicely! :)

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That's good news. Long may it continue.