• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent Listing] Agent Query / AgentQuery.com

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
What is up with AgentQuery.com??

Why can I only see a few pages of search results before it keeps linking me to a stupid info page? What is the deal? Is anybody else having this problem, and how do I make it go away?

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
hmm I'm not having problems? I am a premium member, maybe that makes a difference?
Hope you figure it out, that would drive me nuts!!

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, according to the web site's own info page, it should be 100% free to search, all the time. So what is this "premium member" stuff?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well, according to the web site's own info page, it should be 100% free to search, all the time. So what is this "premium member" stuff?

I dunno, but this:

If you're interested in snagging an agent or a traditional publishing deal, but you want to sell your eBooks in the meantime, then we recommend using a different author name and title than the one you're using to query agents. If you use a pen name and a different title, there's no way anyone will ever know that your book is self-published on Amazon, unless you tell them.

And although it starts to feel like literary espionage -- multiple accounts, and names, and titles, and passports -- if you want to digitally self-publish your ebook while you're waiting for Ms. Agent and Mr. BIG Publisher to discover you, we say: "Go for it!"
reeks of seriously bad advice.

Seriously? Just change your name and the book's name and go ahead and query a published book as new? SERIOUSLY?

I would think I misread it, but later it repeats:

A Few Details:
  • Your Author Name: Use a Pen Name for Your Pen Name if you're worried about an agent or potential publisher discovering that you digitally self-pubbed your book
(btw, this is in their section on publishing to Kindle.) http://www.agentquery.com/how_to_create_your_Kindle_account_and_upload_your_Kindle_ebook.aspx

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why can I only see a few pages of search results before it keeps linking me to a stupid info page? What is the deal? Is anybody else having this problem, and how do I make it go away?

I'm not a premium member and I ran a search and had no trouble. Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

Last edited:

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
I tried clearing the cache and got no difference in the results. The weird thing is that I can sometimes click through three or four pages of results before it just starts taking me back to the home page, and sometimes only one. It's bizarre. I emailed their support address and reported the problem, so maybe they'll have some ideas. Weird.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually always had this problem with AQ- going back three years or so now. It doesn't seem to be a number of pages issue, but a time-out issue (I always got farther along when I didn't need to linger anywhere).

It happened when I used IE in the past, and more recently in Chrome. We're talking about three or four different laptops over the years, too.

It's irritating, but once I learned to keep track of what page I was on it became pretty easy to get back to where I was when this would happen. I still think they have the best genre search of any site.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be a number of pages issue, but a time-out issue (I always got farther along when I didn't need to linger anywhere).

Same thing here. I haven't used the site in a while, but the time out thing always happened if I left a page up too long, and I'd have to restart the search. Do what Giant Baby says and keep track of the page number you're on.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
That is totally weird...but thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try later this morning.

luv_being_a_mommy

Registered
Reaction score
AgentQuery.com? Does anyone here use it? (merged into BR&BC thread)

Is this a good place to find good agents? I hate joining a web site to find it's a dud. Any info on this site or weather it's actually used by good agents would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I've only used it a couple times myself, I use querytracker.net more, but yes, it's a great source of information.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's a STARTING POINT to generate a list. Then you vet the list by checking it with Preditors and Editors or here in Bewares or by Googling Agent name/Agency + "scam" to see if anything flags.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is a good site, and the community that you can join is useful. I wrote an article for them 6 months ago on UK agents

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, but this ... reeks of seriously bad advice.

Seriously? Just change your name and the book's name and go ahead and query a published book as new? SERIOUSLY?

Bad idea. If the book is good enough for conventional publication, there'll be some readers who will remember the ebook edition. It's far better to be known as someone who published an ebook than as an untrustworthy author who lied about a submission's publication history.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Agentquery.com problem?

Anyone else having this problem?

I go to Agent Query. I start searching. It lets me search for a short time, then all of a sudden, it's endlessly connecting. At the same time, other websites that had been perfectly fine until I got to AQ do the same thing. I click a link and they spend forever trying to connect and never do.

BUT, then I go to Twitter. And Twitter works just fine. So I try other websites: my go-to internet test websites like Google and Yahoo. No luck. For some reason Twitter and Facebook load. I think Gmail works, but I haven't sent or received an e-mail during that time, so I don't know.

The only way to fix my internet is to reboot my computer. And, in case you think it's a problem with my connection, the internet on my iPod lets me load the same pages that are endlessly connecting on my netbook during the same span of time.

Today I used my internet most of the day before going on AQ. It was only when I did my second search on AQ that the internet crashed. Every single time it's done this, I've been on AQ.

Anyone having the same problem?

a. climacus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I've occasionally had that problem, but it usually remedies itself if I restart my browser or wait ten minutes.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting didn't help me, but restarting my browser did. It's just a pain when I have a query document, a synopsis document, the novel document, and a document with the first 10 pages of my novel all open, plus the internet open to several tabs, and rebooting means starting everything all over again. Not to mention the fact that it effectively ruins my ability to use AQ during my agent search.

ETA: That first line should be restarting my entire computer, not restarting my browser, which doesn't work

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Does AQ leave any cookies? Might be a corrupted cookie issue, in which case clear your cache, etc.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I cleared my cache the first time, restarted Firefox, and I still couldn't load anything but gmail and twitter (so I hadn't been to AQ since clearing my cache).

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Using Agent Query (merged into BR&BC thread)

I have been using Agent Query almost exclusively, figuring almost all agents are covered there. Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of agents are listed in their database?

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else unable to register at AgentQueryConnect?

When I try to create an account, at the security check, it says: "reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN Direct site owners to g.go/recaptcha/upgrade."

If you go to the site's dashboard, you can see that there's been no new member since June 1, and before that typically one or more per day joined.

I have sent a message to the email support address but not heard back.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
When I try to create an account, at the security check, it says: "reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN Direct site owners to g.go/recaptcha/upgrade."

If you go to the site's dashboard, you can see that there's been no new member since June 1, and before that typically one or more per day joined.

I have sent a message to the email support address but not heard back.

I think the site is defunct. It doesn't seem like there's been an update to the website since 2015, and not a single forum post since 2014. It's a shame, but you'd probably be better off looking for agent listings elsewhere. I noticed it was dead a while ago and asked around for other places to find agents. Here is what people said. :)

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
I think the site is defunct. It doesn't seem like there's been an update to the website since 2015, and not a single forum post since 2014. It's a shame, but you'd probably be better off looking for agent listings elsewhere. I noticed it was dead a while ago and asked around for other places to find agents. Here is what people said. :)

When I look at the forums, there are posts on every forum right up through this month. There are several blog posts this month as well.