Kittens

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently learned there are two stray kittens living at a local park, and it's been bothering me ever since.

I haven't seen them, but apparently they are still fairly small, and were friendly enough (or hungry enough) to follow some of my friends around, about eight o'clock at night, dusk. They didn't interact with the kittens at all and left them alone.

Anyway, like I said--this is really bothering me. I want to take care of it first thing in the morning--local vet office, humane society, animal control. I would be willing to pick them up myself, even, but life tells me that's not such a good idea since they're not in my backyard like most strays.

If I put in the calls, who do you suspect will act on it? My guess is the humane society, or I'd call the vet to see what they suggest.

Sorry, I'd look for any opinions since the places are all closed now (it's past midnight around here) and I'm aching for answers.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Call the city animal control, if you have one, but then again, they might call the humane society.

The vet won't do anything about it accept want to set an appointment.

Thank goodness it's you and not me! I'd just go over and get them and take them to the vet, then bring them home. Just what I need to do when I already have 2 cats and 2 birds, but I know that's exactly what I'd do. I couldn't leave it alone!

Example: see my post about the blue conure

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thank goodness it's you and not me! I'd just go over and get them and take them to the vet, then bring them home. Just what I need to do when I already have 2 cats and 2 birds, but I know that's exactly what I'd do. I couldn't leave it alone!

Ha. I already drove over there just in case I could spot them from my car (it's midnight, pitch dark, raining, but it was on my way home). I happen to have a cardboard box and beach towel in the back of my car and thought "what the hell."

I would have been worried about bringing them in the house, though (since the vet's closed now) because I have two other cats--aside from fleas and ticks, I'd hate to for them to be carrying something.

Thanks. Last time I had to call animal control (hurt pigeon) they were pretty unhelpful. I'll call both them and the humane society first thing in the morning--thanks for indulging me in my paranoia.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
No problem! I'm always up til at least 7 a.m. then I'm down for the count until 2 p.m. and it's good to talk with someone. Good luck!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm late and you've likely solved the problem.

There is an organization near me called the Feral Cat society. The Humane Society turned me on to them. They pick up, neuter and re-hab feral animals.

I've had personal success with one stray. Haven't caught her yet, but every year (hmm 3 years?) she brings us 2-3 kittens for our approval. We feed them, bathe them and house break them and have had 100% success in placing them.
One of these days, though, we'll manage to catch mom (sly thing that she is), spay her and she can continue helping my other cat keep rabbit-ies and mice-ies out of the garden.

You know, once the kittens have been bathed, they'll be lovely pets.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually haven't solved the problem yet! The Humane Society didn't open up until noon, and I haven't been able to get in touch with them yet. Same with animal control, but I'm afraid they really can't do anything because it would be a matter of "Yeah, I saw these kittens..." And that's it; I can't provide any more info. I get off work in a couple of hours and if I still can't get in touch with anyone, I'm going over there myself, Bad Idea or not. Assuming I'll even be able to find them, that is.

You know, once the kittens have been bathed, they'll be lovely pets.

Wouldn't they, though? I'd love to, but I go back to school in three weeks in a pet-free apartment and I bet the parental units wouldn't be too thrilled to take on two kitties (we already have two....) Sigh.

country-writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.felinexpress.com
You will probably find that most rescue organizations are full up because of kitten season just ending. I would take these two into the local vet, and ask them if they can help you find a home. Ask them if there are any "crazy cat ladies" who have left their phone numbers behind to take kittens. I get most of my kittens from vets, because I have been called the crazy cat lady. Also one of my websites will help you care for them until you find a home for them www.kitten-rescue.com

You can also list them on petfinders.com or craigslist

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
The Humane Society will loan you a trap to catch the kittens in, and they refund your deposit upon return of the gadget.

If the kittens are feral, many shelters put them to sleep. Our local humane society does that with feral cats or kittens because they are overloaded with friendly ones.

I usually keep all my kittens - have them spayed and neutered and keep them. I just had a mama cat and 2 babies spayed yesterday at the Humane Society - totla cost: $75.

(Unless you count the dog I adopted while I was there.)