Blackmask.com

bubblegirl

Resident Bubble Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bubblegirl.net
Hi,

Does anyone know what happened to Blackmask.com? They were my favourite place for free ebooks and now their web page isn't responding. Where did they go!?

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading that Blackmask.com is being sued by Conde Nast over the rights to some novels. I wonder if they brought down the web site until the dispute is resolved. I am just making a guess...maybe someone else knows.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Season,
It appears that Blackmask packaged two pulp novels (The Shadow and Doc Savage) as public domain e-books when if fact Conde Nast owns them. I guess Project Gutenberg has been more careful to check rights.

Soloset, thanks for adding the links! I did more searching and found some interesting details here .

bubblegirl

Resident Bubble Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bubblegirl.net
Ohhhhh. I understand. Thanks for the information.

Blackmask was my favourite because they had more E. F. Benson works.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Great link, oarsman! That really clears it up.

What an ugly copyright situation -- I think it's good that the site owner's willing to fight it out (maybe it'll settle some things) but I'm not sure I like the whole "Adverse Possession" thing.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I run a free public-domain lit site (http://www.litrix.com) similar to, though not nearly as large as Blackmask was. But the dude running Blackmask was pretty cavalier about copyright issues, and had a number of things up that struck me as iffy on that front. There used to be a good site called "Classic Short Stories" or something similar, that got taken down for the same reason.

Pay attention to copyright laws, folks. They do apply on-line.

caw.

bubblegirl

Resident Bubble Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bubblegirl.net
Absolutely. I don't even use places like Napster or Kazaa, so I'm safe. I even got permissions for the jokes in my compilations.