Submitting for someone else....

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Can I submit a book for someone else?
The situation is this. Three years ago I was given a children's story by someone who had written it but didn't have the time to submit it himself.
Don't scoff. The person is Dr Peter Pritchard, who is the world's leading expert on turtles and their conservarion: Heroes of the World.
Peter, who is a friend of mine, had written the book as an educational story for children. It is set in Guyana and is a charming story about a little Amerindian girl and how she learns about turtles and why they they are endangered. The story needs work and I put it aside for the time being; actually, at th etime I thought it might work better as a documentary film for children. It's the book mentioned in the Time article above...

I never got around to it and I feel really guilty. I'm going to start work on it and as soon as I get back to England I'll post it on Share Your Work and see how it can be improved for publication; in the meantime, I'm wondering if it's OK for me to submit it to publishers, or if Peter will have to do it himself. Would also be grateful for any advice and leads.

On the other hand, because of Peter's credentials in may not be even worthwhile revising it. WHat do you think?

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Is there commentary from some that you that you would consider outside your desired scope eg. non-book writers? journalists? Or is the floor 'open'?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I don't quite understand your question... I'd appreciate any help or advice. I won't be able to post the actual ms until next week. Since he is a technophobe it's typewritten, and I'll have to retype it to be able to post it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Innkeeper said:
Children don't necessarily care about an author's credentials. What is paramount is this. Does the story read well? Does it flow well? Does it engage the children?

It's primarily an educational book, for use in schools. It's a nice little story but as you can imagine a bit of info-dumping here and there that needs sorting out. He appears himself in the book as "Dr Peter". It has a lot of potential, I think. I could imagine a series of books on endagered species.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
I think you would need a signed notarized statement that in effect says you are legally allowed to present the book for him. Otherwise no prof. agent or publisher would touch it, as Dr. Peter wrote the book and you are submitting it. you need to cover that base - I think.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, how much work will the book take? If you have to do a bunch of work on it, then why not pitch it as a co-author situation? Peter is the source of the scientific information, and you are the artist. People do it all the time. I've co-authored several books with a psychologist and it worked out fine.

Regarding submitting it on his behalf, why would you bother? It just adds yet another person to an already muddled process. I would give him advice and suggestions for pursuing it on his own, if he's interested, but I wouldn't advocate acting as his de facto agent.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Nomad said:
Aruna, how much work will the book take? If you have to do a bunch of work on it, then why not pitch it as a co-author situation? Peter is the source of the scientific information, and you are the artist. People do it all the time. I've co-authored several books with a psychologist and it worked out fine.

Thanks, thats a brilliant idea! I'l have a look at it once again when I get home and see what we can do.
thanks again.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Nomad said:
Regarding submitting it on his behalf, why would you bother? It just adds yet another person to an already muddled process. I would give him advice and suggestions for pursuing it on his own, if he's interested, but I wouldn't advocate acting as his de facto agent.

I was wondering about the second part of your question, then I realised - I hadn't mentioned that all and any proceeds would go to turtle conservation, especially in Guyana. We are a poor country and need people like Peter who give their efforts, and I'd love to help in any way I can. So, I don't mind - and if my name is on the cover too, then my part of the proceeds also go to conservation.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
Nomad said:
...If you have to do a bunch of work on it, then why not pitch it as a co-author situation? Peter is the source of the scientific information, and you are the artist. People do it all the time. I've co-authored several books with a psychologist and it worked out fine.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Do that!

Kristen

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
I was wondering about the second part of your question, then I realised - I hadn't mentioned that all and any proceeds would go to turtle conservation, especially in Guyana. We are a poor country and need people like Peter who give their efforts, and I'd love to help in any way I can. So, I don't mind - and if my name is on the cover too, then my part of the proceeds also go to conservation.

Aah, now I get it! I think the co-author thing could be great, then. And another thing that might be worth mentioning to Peter is that if you and he work well together and there are opportunities for more books about conservation on other subjects on which he is an expert, children's publishers (especially ed publishers) like books in series. It could be good for everyone.
Good luck! Keep us posted.
L