Anyone else submitting to McSweeneys and sites like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a reader of McSweeneys.net for a few years and have made submissions to it on and off for about three years, but for the past month or so, I've been sending little humor pieces off to more places. It took a while to find the most popular humor sites, found mostly through links in author bios. The ones I'm focusing on are McSweeneys.net, The Big Jewel, The Morning News and Yankee Pot Roast. Those seem to be the ones most people list first in their bios and all the sites are pretty funny, although Yankee Pot Roast is really hard to read because of bad font and size. I'm also trying Cracked.com, although their style is a bit cruder than the others. It took a while to get used to their style.

Some of my earlier submissions to McSweeneys were pretty bad, or not really the kind of stuff they publish, but I've had more success with the last half dozen or so.

Is anyone else submitting to sites like these, or found any others like them?

Last edited:

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I've placed a few things as McSweeneys, though I really haven't sought out too many other humor sites. One place I've wanted to try for a while though has been Reader's Digest--they pay $100-$300 for funny snippets (here's the submission site: http://www.rd.com/submitjoke.do?lid=96). Not the same style as McSweeney's, of course, but humor nonetheless. :)

JEP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jepreport.blogspot.com
I've been building an impressive array of rejection e-mails from McSweeneys myself with nothing getting accepted. Nancy's right about reader's digest though, I actually did get something published there in the Humor at Work section for $300. That was the most profitable six minutes of my life. Thanks for the other tips, I am going to check those out!

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
I remember sending something to Readers Digest at least ten years ago. It's been so long since I've read the humor sections in that magazine that I'd have no idea what to submit to them now. I think I remember that it was $400 they were offering back then. The only reason I'd remember that is because it seemed so big for such few words.

JEP, don't give up on McSweeneys. I had no luck for a long time, then suddenly I had two acceptances and one revision request (eventually rejected) out of five. I've got one there now, waiting for a response.

Got a rejection from The New Yorker today. But that's a magazine you send to with no hope of getting in anyway.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. I've had a few items published in Reader's Digest, but now they've changed their format a bit. Like in quotable quotes they only want from contemporary people. (I used to get some of my quotes published there, but not now), things like that. I once had an anecdote published in Life in U.S. but not for quite awhile. They get thousands of subs. each month, so if you get one selected, it's really something. Much good luck.

CaptainCanard

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CaptainCanard.com

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Dan, and thanks for the great links :) I've been considering putting a few shorts out there to get some credit (providing they're accepted, 'natch) and Reader's Digest is SO limiting in size! 1000 characters? Give me a break! I'm more wordy than that in my tax returns.

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
That's great about the contest, Dan. I wish I'd known about it. Maybe I'll remember next year.

I'm checking those links, too. I've seen about half of them before, but not the others.

dale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daledobson.com
I'm an AW newbie - have had a number of pieces at Yankee Pot Roast, Cracked.com and National Lampoon this year. I also contribute to the religious satire magazine The Wittenburg Door on a pretty regular basis.

Haven't been able to crack McSweeney's yet - have gotten encouraging feedback on a few pieces, though, so I keep sending 'em in.

mjlpsu

unidentifiable food tester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boozefoodtravel.com
CaptainCanard said:
I had some luck getting a few pieces in print at Opium Magazine, Sweet Fancy Moses, The American Drivel Review. Also check out Monkeybicycle, FLYMF (which pays $1 per 100 words), Barrelhouse, edifice Wrecked, and Defenestration.

I'm happy to see someone mention American Drivel Review. I've had a piece published in their first issue... I also had a grad class with the girl who started it up. There's some talented work there, but it only pays in copies of the publication.
As for McSweeney's... I've been rejected a few times. Haven't tried in a while though.

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
Dale, I read some of your stuff at Yankee Pot Roast. It was good. I tried them with a little list over a month ago, but they don't seem to respond. It's even worse at Cracked -- almost three months. Yet I see people get a Mel Gibson piece or some other piece based on a recent news story published within a week.

Don't mind the complaining. I got two rejections today and I'm depressed.

Edit: This is unbelievable. It's an hour later and Cracked.com has gotten back to me with an acceptance. I should complain about these things more often. I don't think I've ever gotten three things back in one day, either.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Congrats! I grew up on Cracked. Maybe someday my kid will be a warped comedic a$$hole because of you, and my mom will ROFL at the sweet revenge!

:roll:

(she really hated cracked, lol)

dale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daledobson.com
dclary,

The new CRACKED is a lot different from the old one - much more "National Lampoon"-esque, aimed at a college-and-up demographic. The website is more daring than the magazine in terms of risque/profane content, but neither resembles the latter decades of the original CRACKED.

Which means your Mom would probably still hate it. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
LOL... I guess that's... both good.. and bad to hear?

Man... Battlestar Garlictica was probably my favorite story of all time. Cracked RULED.

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
I had the Galactica issue of Cracked. Loved that show more than I probably should have, and even now I still like it better than the new one.

By the way, if you submit to McSweeneys, they're not accepting anything with robots, zombies or video games. The editor said he had too much of that stuff in the archives, because he's a sucker for those topics, but he wants to avoid them at least for the time being.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Stupid question time -- I know there is a printed McSweeney's and an online McSweeney's. I can't find the printed one here (Phoenix, not the smallest burg out there, but also not NY or LA), but may be looking in the wrong places (like bookstores). So this question comes because I haven't been able to take a look at a physical McSweeney's yet.

When you all are submitting to McSweeney's, are you going for online or printed? And, why is or isn't one better than the other? Does the hard copy take longer pieces? Does one have more "cachet" than the other? Is this the humor version of The New Yorker, where the better expectation is that you'll get rejected but at least gave the best the first shot? Have I run over my question limit yet?

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
JeanneTGC said:
Stupid question time -- I know there is a printed McSweeney's and an online McSweeney's. I can't find the printed one here (Phoenix, not the smallest burg out there, but also not NY or LA), but may be looking in the wrong places (like bookstores). So this question comes because I haven't been able to take a look at a physical McSweeney's yet.

When you all are submitting to McSweeney's, are you going for online or printed? And, why is or isn't one better than the other? Does the hard copy take longer pieces? Does one have more "cachet" than the other? Is this the humor version of The New Yorker, where the better expectation is that you'll get rejected but at least gave the best the first shot? Have I run over my question limit yet?

I've never seen a copy of the paper McSweeneys, but it's basically literary fiction as far as I can tell, though I know they did an anthology of genre fiction with people like Stephen King. I think you can buy it at Amazon, but it's pretty expensive. I'd say the paper version is more prestigious than the web site, because lots of big names have been in it, although there are a few big names that have been on the web site, too.

The web McSweeneys doesn't pay, but they're one of the biggest humor sites on the Internet. For me, they're just below The New Yorker, which would be the ultimate. They're almost all humor at McSweeneys.net. I like to have a piece rejected by them before sending it to other sites.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Just had to post this here (as well as, you know, a couple of other places and all...but not EVERYwhere on the site...yet) -- I just sold one of my humorous essays to FLYMF.com. Supposed to be in their December issue.

I can't thank you all enough for listing the various humor markets you sell into, as well as offering advice and the always-needed support. You guys are truly the BEST!

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Jeanne. I submitted my first piece there about a month ago, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'll be reading your piece within a few days, I guess.

Q.Rious

Registered
Reaction score
I am giving this thread mouth-to-mouth resucitation to see if there are any other McSweeney's fans out there. Or people who got "in," or people who know of sites JUST LIKE McSweeneys, but not, y'know, McSweeney's.

I am enjoying the links to other sites listed earlier though...

Status
Not open for further replies.