AW Photography Thread

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Aba-bum.

A place to discuss... well, photography.

I have a Sony Cybershot, 7.2 Megapixel li'l camera.
It's always served me (reasonably) well, except for some elements that annoy me to the point of "Aaaagh". But, something has gone awry recently. I have with it, and have always had a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO 512MB. And my camera can now only take/store 20 pictures. Anybody can help me on that?

Also, two interesting cameras here;
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/13/technology/13pogue.html?ex=1153886400&en=f017d3fd9366ac58&ei=5070

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
You know, I almost came right out with "but digital cameras are not real cameras, because real cameras use film." Then I thought better of it, because I'd probably get lynched by all the digital camera toting AW members. Just don't try to convince me that camera-phones are real cameras.

I have a nifty little 36mm Canon with a zoom lense. It takes 25 pictures on a roll, then I get them developed. That's about all I know of photography. I wanted to take a class in college, but it was too expensive (lots of extras to purchase).

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
You know, I almost came right out with "but digital cameras are not real cameras, because real cameras use film." Then I thought better of it, because I'd probably get lynched by all the digital camera toting AW members. Just don't try to convince me that camera-phones are real cameras.

I have a nifty little 36mm Canon with a zoom lense. It takes 25 pictures on a roll, then I get them developed. That's about all I know of photography. I wanted to take a class in college, but it was too expensive (lots of extras to purchase).

Man, I love film cameras too, but they're different instruments.
At the moment, film is still better quality. Film is grain, digital is pixelated. Film pictures can be painstakingly manipulated in a darkroom, digital in photoshop.

They both work for different things, bro.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sounds like you memory card is corrupted. That might be fixable but I'd tend to just get another one.

I use digital because the costs are so much lower.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Get a memory stick with at least 1 or 2 GB capacity. Also, figure out what formats you're storing:

For 7.1 Megapixel:

RAW 10.6 MB (uncompressed 12bit/pixel - Bayer mask)
BMP 21.2 MB (uncompressed RGB 24bit/pixel)
TIFF 42.5 MB (uncompressed CMYK 48bit/pixel)
JPG100 1.8 MB (100% quality - 24bit/pixel)
JPG90 895.6 KB (90% quality - 24bit/pixel)
GIF 2.3 MB (compressed - 8bit/pixel)
PNG 4.8 MB (lossless compressed - 24bit/pixel)

Do your math... Obviously, if you're storing TIFF formats, your card will only take fewer than 15 pictures. If you're storing JPG100, you should be able to store over 200 pictures.

Do you have other stuff on the memory card? You have might files from your other cameras on it that are taking up space.

I don't know how much memory stick cost. My camera uses SD cards and they're cheap. I can get a 1GB card for $49.

Last edited:

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Godfather said:
Aba-bum.

A place to discuss... well, photography.

I have a Sony Cybershot, 7.2 Megapixel li'l camera.
It's always served me (reasonably) well, except for some elements that annoy me to the point of "Aaaagh". But, something has gone awry recently. I have with it, and have always had a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO 512MB. And my camera can now only take/store 20 pictures. Anybody can help me on that?

Also, two interesting cameras here;
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/13/technology/13pogue.html?ex=1153886400&en=f017d3fd9366ac58&ei=5070

Godfather, my husband just bought me the very same camera for my birthday. He bought the memory stick too, but he got the Sony brand, because the sales clerk at Best Buy said the San Disk stick will only work for a short period of time, and then it will corrupt. I accused my husband of being taken by a slick salesman who wanted to upgrade the custome'rs selection. Now you've got my wondering if there's some truth to what the sale clerk said. Sounds like an evil plot. I'm not sure which way you turn with proprietary glitches like this, I suspect San Disk.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
chaostitan said:
I have a nifty little 36mm Canon with a zoom lense. It takes 25 pictures on a roll, then I get them developed. That's about all I know of photography.
and that's why you think digital camera's aren't camera's. The only people using film are the home user. The pro's moved to digital awhile ago.

I attended a lecture given by Greg Gorman and the pictures he took with his camera phone were amazing.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I used 35mm and digital, depending on what I'm looking to accomplish. I missed the deadline by a couple of days to enter them into the photography competition at the County Fair. I was disappointed not to have some of them entered. I take better black and white than color. It's a great hobby and I never have to take my children to get pictures taken at a studio. I do them all myself. So I'll have to try to take some exceptional pictures this year so I have some to enter into the fair next year!

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
JAlpha said:
I'm not sure which way you turn with proprietary glitches like this, I suspect San Disk.
My Kodak uses a card instead of a stick, but you should be able to reformat the stick with the camera itself. Check out menu options. Note: I lost over 50 pics last fall in Seattle, because I slid out of my sister's passenger seat, opened my camera holster (or whatever), and when I touched my camera a static charge from my fingertip scrambled the memory card. The card is now in the possession of Geek #4 who is trying to salvage my pictures. Download your pics and wipe the memory every day if you can.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have a cheap Fuji digital that I use for snapshots and such. It's so much cheaper to pick and choose the pics I want printed...and through Snapfish, it's simple to buy prints and they come right to the house.

But any time I'm taking "artsy" type pics (it's a hobby of mine...mostly nature photos) I use a Minolta Maxxum 400si that I bought new off of ebay a few years back and then added some extra lenses. I find it very relaxing to tinker with the lenses to get different shots. More so than I do with a digital.

Now, if I could afford one of the professional digital cameras, I would certainly buy one.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
whistlelock said:
and that's why you think digital camera's aren't camera's. The only people using film are the home user. The pro's moved to digital awhile ago.

I attended a lecture given by Greg Gorman and the pictures he took with his camera phone were amazing.
Not necessarily, whistle. I'm a pro and I use a Nikon FE-2. Swear by the thing, too. Love it to pieces, I do. I'll also match it against a digital, anyday. You can still see the pixilation when you enlarge, especially on facial. It's there ;)

Take a 2 1/4 or a 4 x 5, no comparison. Probably never will be, either. Those are phenomenal. Went to Art Center College of Design, for a bit. Way back in the dark ages. No pun intended :D

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Godfather said:
and have always had a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO 512MB. And my camera can now only take/store 20 pictures. Anybody can help me on that?

Try formatting it. There should be an option in your camera. Does your camera allow you to shoot in RAW format? If you shoot in RAW with a jpg also stored, like some cameras do, you aren't going to get very many files on a 512 mb disc at 7 megapixels, though you should still get more than 20.

At full size and quality, a 7.2 megapixel camera in RAW would take up about 10-13 megs, I think, per picture. (I guess that depends on the camera, someone just told me. I don't know anything about Sony) Add another 3 megs for the corresponding .jpg at another 2-3 megs, and you only have space for about 30 pix or so.

Most of the guys at my work carry several 2 gig cards with them at all times, and they shoot at half that size.

Last edited:

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I can't think of a single large newspaper in the US that allows its photographers to still use film. Where I work, they went all digital in the 90s. We turned our dark room into a studio.

That said, no digital camera will ever easily replace the quality of a perfect grain, especially in black and white.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
whistlelock said:
The only people using film are the home user. The pro's moved to digital awhile ago.

Professional photo-journalists, certainly. I know a few landscape photographers who still prefer the depth of slide film and quality of medium and large format cameras.

I have a couple of digitals (a Fuji Finepix and a Sony Cybershot), but I love my old film cameras - I have a 1970 Yashicamat, a Bronica ETRS and an old 1920 medium format rangefinder whose name escapes me at the moment. I also have a Voightlander Vito C, a Canon T70, a Zeis Ikon and a Dynax 5. None of these (apart from the Dynax) cost me more than $100, most cost a good deal less - and they all take fabulous pictures. I love developing and printing my own film, so digital holds little charm for me.

Godfather - it does sound like your memory card needs replacing, they're not too expensive and it's worth it to keep the Sony, it's a great little camera.

Last edited:

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You know, my pop is a pro, and some people still ask him to shoot film. Frequently actually.

He did a big job recently, which I helped out for and it was all film. He did a small job much more recently, a local artist had him take a picture of a painting. He requested that in film too.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
digital is easier, but I love shooting with film. Some of my best work is with film. I've attached a couple here for you to see.

jack2.jpg

kylepumpkin.jpg

stewart-R1-011-4.jpg

trishst-R1-045-21.jpg

kylejack.jpg

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cath. There are many others I never scanned into the computer or put on CD, I didn't have many online to choose from to post, but its a pretty good group of photos.

As you can see, my children are my primary subjects at present time.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Well here's a very cool picture taken with digital (that was kind of messed up by Photobucket but still looks awesome)

P1010228.jpg

And this was taken by someone who'd just learned to use the camera two days before taking the picture (oh, and that's my boyfriend in the picture).

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll post some pics too,
but man I love taking pictures of people.

Trish, some really great shots there. I especially like the one on the bed.

Dama, that's a purty cool pic.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've posted some pictures (scaled down) on my blog. They were taken from a 3.2 megapixel digital.

http://itheauthor.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_itheauthor_archive.html (scroll all the way down)

I think professionals use both digital and film. Digital is great for commercial jobs because you can see results immediately and you can shoot SO MANY. No need to wait for contact sheets or change rolls.

I still love to do films but the process is painstakingly slow and expensive compared to digital. I think the same is happening in the movie industries as well. Digital is so sophisticated, convenient and relatively inexpensive that more and more filmmakers (e.g. Lucas, Spielberg, Peter Jackson) are switching to digital.