Current Science that can inspire your fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In another thread, I posted a link to an article on suspended animation, and it got me thinking that a thread devoted to current science that foreshadows possible technologies of the future might be interesting and informative, especially for those of us who write near-future fiction. So, here's that link again, and another on flexible display technologies.

Suspended animation (warning, somewhat graphic about surgery on an animal)

Roll-up TVs in seven years?

Last edited:

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faster than the speed of light... backwards!

From the DOE's Ames Lab:
AMES, IA – Physicist Costas Soukoulis and his research group at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory on the Iowa State University campus are having the time of their lives making light travel backwards at negative speeds that appear faster than the speed of light. That, folks, is a mind-boggling 186,000 miles per second – the speed at which electromagnetic waves can move in a vacuum. And making light seem to move faster than that and in reverse is what Soukoulis, who is also an ISU Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said is “like rewriting electromagnetism.” He predicted, “Snell’s law on the refraction of light is going to be different; a number of other laws will be different.”...
The article goes on and their methodology has implications for lenses and new kinds of optical equipment. Read all about it on their press release.

Before you SF writers get your hopes too high, the superluminal propagation doesn't disprove relativity (they talk about it in the article). OTOH, it's one example of many where "superluminal" effects are measured and confirmed – meaning it's probably not too far out for SF writers to play in faster-than-light sandbox.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Future spacesuits could heal themselves

Good news. Very good news...
NewScientistSpace said:
Future spacesuits could heal themselves
11:35 27 July 2006
NewScientist.com news service
David Shiga

Future spacesuits could have some remarkable new abilities. They could self-repair holes, generate electricity and kill germs, thanks to new "smart" materials. Such suits may be ready for use by 2018, when NASA hopes to return to the Moon.

The company that has made spacesuits for NASA since the Apollo missions in the 1960s – ILC Dover LP, in Delaware, US – has been testing these new smart fabrics. It described them last week at the 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems (ICES) in Norfolk, Virginia, US.

The spacesuit would be self-healing because its innermost layer, which provides the spacesuit's airtight seal, is filled with a thick polymer gel. The rubber-like gel is sandwiched between two thin layers of polyurethane so that if a hole forms in these layers, the gel oozes from surrounding areas to plug it. In vacuum chamber tests, the gel healed punctures up to 2 millimetres wide.

If the suit was pierced with a larger hole, the material would immediately alert the astronaut of the hole's location. That is because the material contains a layer that is crisscrossed with current-carrying wires. Large punctures would break circuits in the damaged area, allowing built-in sensors to alert a central computer, says David Cadogan, who manages InFlex, the smart materials programme at ILC Dover.

Radiation blocker

The suit would even be able to provide its own power for those sensors using flexible solar cells that would be sewn into the outermost layer. A variety of these cells is now commercially available, and the company is testing which of the polymer or silicon-based cells would work best on a smart material in space.

The material also keeps microbes at bay using layers of silver-coated polyester. It slowly releases silver ions, which kill bacteria. And layers of polyethylene would also protect astronauts because polyethylene contains a lot of hydrogen, which is a good radiation blocker.

The company has tested these features on various materials but has yet to settle on a final design. It hopes NASA will use the materials in new spacesuits when it sends astronauts back to the Moon.

Cadogan's research group is also designing a sample inflatable habitat using smart materials that could be used as a Moon base or space station. NASA gave up on previous plans for an inflatable module for the International Space Station but it may revive inflatable structures for its return to the Moon. "They have numerous studies going on where inflatable habitats are under consideration," Cadogan told New Scientist.
Just a little more grist for the mill. Follow the link to NewScientist (Space) to get related links and inspiration.

JimmyB

Registered
Reaction score
Ordinary_Guy said:
If the suit was pierced with a larger hole, the material would immediately alert the astronaut of the hole's location

Would you really need an alert if your space suit has a ruddy great hole in the side?

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
JimmyB said:
Would you really need an alert if your space suit has a ruddy great hole in the side?
It does seem counterintuitive that you wouldn't be constantly monitoring the condition of your suit...

However, if you're otherwise occupied (say, on a space walk and in the middle of some intensive task), it's quite possible that some tear/puncture could've come from just about anything, from some micrometeorite to a "burr" on the scaffolding of a space station. Since your suit is going to be thick but still reasonably form fitting (not blown up like you're wearing a giant balloon), a small tear could very well be non-obvious.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Imperial Walkers One Step Closer (so to speak)

Granted, it rolls instead of steps, but this alpha-quality tech I'm sure will continue to evolve (no matter how goofy it might currently seem).
wearable_robot_suit.jpg

...Nope, it's not photoshopped. Roughly 3.4m high and weighing in at a hefty 907kg. It's a bit pokey at 1.5 kph but can catch up those running away by shooting sponge bullets. It can be yours for a hair over 300 grand...

Check out a video of this behemoth at YouTube.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We can rebuild him...

From CNN of all places:

Bionic arm provides hope for amputees
POSTED: 11:16 a.m. EDT, September 14, 2006

DAYTON, Tennessee (AP) -- Jesse Sullivan has two prosthetic arms, but he can climb a ladder at his house and roll on a fresh coat of paint. He's also good with a weed-whacker, bending his elbow and rotating his forearm to guide the machine.

He's even mastered a more sensitive maneuver -- hugging his grandchildren.

The motions are coordinated and smooth because his left arm is a bionic device controlled by his brain. He thinks, "Close hand," and electrical signals sent through surgically re-routed nerves make it happen.

Doctors describe Sullivan as the first amputee with a thought-controlled artificial arm.

Researchers encouraged Sullivan, who became an amputee in an industrial accident, not to go easy on his experimental limb.

"When I left, they said don't bring it back looking new," the 59-year-old Sullivan said with a grin, his brow showing sweat beneath a fraying Dollywood amusement park cap. At times he had been so rough with the bionic arm that it broke, including once when he pulled the end off starting a lawnmower.

That prompted researchers to make improvements, part of a U.S. government initiative to refine artificial limbs that connect body and mind. The National Institutes of Health has supported the research, joined more recently by the military's research-and-development wing, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Some 411 U.S. troops in Iraq and 37 in Afghanistan have had wounds that cost them at least one limb, the Army Medical Command says.

Although work that created Sullivan's arm preceded the research by DARPA, he said he's proud to test a type of bionic arm that soldiers could someday use. "Those guys are heroes in my book," he said, "and they should have the best there is."

"We're excited about collaborating with the military," said the developer of Sullivan's arm, Dr. Todd Kuiken, director of neuroengineering at the Center for Artificial Limbs at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, one of 35 partners now in a DARPA project to develop a state-of-the-art arm...
Click the link to read the rest of the article (and see a short video of his arm in action)...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JimmyB said:
If I was in the near-vacuum of space and my life depended on the integrity of my suit, I'd appreciate having a brass band march past my field of vision the moment the slightest problem with my suit arose. ;)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Would the band be playing "There's Trouble in River City?"

76 trombones led the big parade.... :D

A lot of older SF stories talk about having clamps in space suits at the joints to minimize the damage or loss of air in case one of the suit's limbs gets holed.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
A lot of older SF stories talk about having clamps in space suits at the joints to minimize the damage or loss of air in case one of the suit's limbs gets holed.
Some more recent ones talk about skin-tight suits. Dunno how that helps with rips and tears, but it makes for exciting book cover illustrations. ;)

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I was watching National Geographic Channel and they were talking about colonizing other planets and one way we could deal with radiation is have our genes spliced with cockroach genes, since cockroaches are immune to radiation.

Last edited:

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
rosemerry said:
I was watching National Geographic Channel and they were talking about colonizing other planets and one way we could deal with radiation is have our genes spliced with cockroach genes, since cockroaches are immune to radiation.

Immune to radiation? Sounds like a job for "Mythbusters" to me (my new favorite TV show). Unless the roaches have lead shielding around their DNA...:)

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure their legal department wouldn't let them -- the whole "no animals were harmed in the making of this film" effect... :(

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shadow_Ferret said:
No I haven't, have you? I can't imagine it not blowing up like everything else I put in there.

I have but not on purpose. I can't do it on purpose because I'm that afraid of them. It's the only phobia I have.

When they come out of the microwave they just walk around like they are drunk for a minute or so and then they scamper off like nothing happened. This was after 3 minutes in the microwave.

Bikini Island where they did the nuclear testing the only 'animal,' if you consider cockroaches animals instead of being from hell who want to eat your face, to survive was the cockroach only it had a three foot wingspan or something like that.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Status
Not open for further replies.