Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Maybe one day, but not at this point. I don't yet have a large enough fanbase. I might also retool the beastie and see what my agent thinks.

So, we've progressed to 36-hour days, right?

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Maybe one day, but not at this point. I don't yet have a large enough fanbase.

You're in the minority of people I've heard use this reason not to self-publish. I'm going to selfpub next year to grow my readership, lol (pricing and cover control on my next novels). I'll let you know how it works out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Please note: This what works for me, and me only:

I look at it this way: For my Falcone & Driscoll mystery series, my numbers were on the edge, but in the end MI did not offer me another contract. Many people have told me to SP more books in this series. But since my numbers weren't strong enough to get another trade contract for an existing series, my agent and I are seeking another trade contract for different books to enlarge my fanbase... and then to pitch more F&D books to a new publisher.

This is my decision for where I want my career to head.

Victoria, I wish you many sales with your new book!

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Pelican Book Group announces the return of Easter Lilies. While Easter Lilies was originally run as a short story contest, the resurrected Easter Lilies will not be a contest, but conducted as an annual special release much like our Christmas Holiday Extravaganza. Each year, one Easter Lilies story will be released on each day of the Easter Triduum. (Yes, only three stories per year.)

2013 Defining Scripture for Easter Lilies is: Solomon 2:2 "Like a lily among thorns is my darling among the maidens."

Submission Guidelines:
Easter Lilies are historical or contemporary romances. In addition to adhering to the guidelines for the White Rose imprint, the following is also necessary:

• The defining Scripture for the year must be used as a basis for the story. (This scripture will change each year on October 1st)
  • Stories should be between 15,000 and 25,000 words.
  • Both the hero's and heroine's points of view may be incorporated, however, we'd like these stories to be "hero-driven", so ideally, stories should focus on the hero's love developing for his heroine. These stories may be historical or contemporary, but they must be set around the Easter holiday.
  • Heroes and Heroines should be between the ages of 25 and 35.
  • In addition to using the current year Easter Lilies scripture as the reference, some symbol of the Easter Lily must also be incorporated. Easter lilies have long been a symbol of purity, motherhood, the trumpet herald of the Angel Gabriel as he visited the Virgin Mary, of resurrection, and more. (Feel free to research and use different symbols. These are listed as example only). How you incorporate any of the symbols is up to you. Whether it's an actual flower that the hero gives to the heroine (or vice-versa), or a piece of jewelry, or a spiritual experience. The use is up to you. Perhaps your hero is a Christian musician who plays the trumpet. Perhaps your heroine has lily earrings that have been passed through her family. Perhaps your hero had a "resurrection" of his faith through some experience past or present, or maybe your heroine is a mother. How you incorporate the Easter lily symbolism is up to you. It can be subtle or overt, but it has to be there.
Submissions for Easter Lilies are accepted August 1st through September 30th each year. Submissions for Easter Lilies that are received outside this time frame will be discarded without response.

These guidelines and submission information can be found at: http://pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/submission-guidelines/easter-lilies-submission-guidelines

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Zombie sticky arise!

Way back in the mists of 2007 or so, Marcher Lord Press appeared. I'd subbed my dark fantasy to them and about 8 weeks later got a pass with an excellent set of comments and an invite to resub.

[lots of stuff intervenes]

Last night I realized that I'd made all the changes a few years back but never resubbed. So I filled out their online proposal form and sent it off.

The response time now? 1-2 years.

I am so pleased at their success! The wait time doesn't bother me, as I'm up to my eyebrows in work.

I highly recommend them if you write Christian fantasy or spec fic. They're e and POD as far as I know, and their books get noticed.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
New opp.. opens 10/15

http://www.mysterionanthology.com/p/submission-guidelines.html

We're looking for speculative stories--science fiction, fantasy, horror--with Christian themes, characters, or cosmology.

[h=4]Technical details[/h]
  • Stories can be up to 10,000 words.
  • The anthology will be published in ebook and POD formats.
  • We pay 6 cents/word for original stories (or original translations of stories that have not previously appeared in English), and 3 cents/word for reprints.
  • We are seeking one year of exclusive worldwide print and electronic distribution rights for original works (with exceptions for Best of the Year anthologies), and non-exclusive worldwide print and electronic distribution rights in perpetuity for both original works and reprints.
  • No multiple or simultaneous submissions. Send us only one story at a time, and don't send us a story that's currently with someone else or send someone else a story to which we have not yet responded. Don't re-submit a rejected story unless we request revisions.
  • We hope to have responded to everyone within one month of the submission window's closing. Feel free to query if it's been longer than two months.
  • Stories must be double spaced, in 12-point Courier or Times New Roman font. The story title, your byline, a word count, and contact information should appear on the first page, and your last name, story title, and page number should appear in the header information of all other pages. We're not particular about whether you use italics or underlining for emphasis, how many spaces are after the period, or whether you use straight or smart quotes.
  • Submissions may be sent to the email address:
    submissions.png
  • Submit your stories via email as an attachment in .doc, .docx, or .rtf format. The subject of your email should be FICTION: <story title> by <byline>. The email body should contain a list of your three or four best publications (if any), and any pertinent biographical details: tell us if you're an astronaut writing about space travel, but not if you're an astronaut writing about the elf-dwarf war. Invert that if you're an elf. If you've met us personally, feel free to mention it. Finally, let us know if the story is previously published and where it first appeared--even if it appeared on your blog or twitter stream. Don't try to summarize your story or explain why it's a good fit for our anthology (if it's a good fit, we should be able to tell by reading it).

[h=4]Theme guidelines[/h]
  • The story must have a speculative element. It needs something beyond the everyday. We love science fiction and fantasy, enjoy good ghost stories, and think there's great fiction material hidden in the mysteries of Christian theology--cherubim, leviathan, nephilim, visions, prophecy, and more.
  • The story must engage with Christianity. We want stories with Christian characters whose faith affects their actions, with Christian themes such as grace and redemption, or with a Christian view of the supernatural. Note that we're not saying that you must be a Christian. We are not in a position to judge your faith, and won't try. Nor does your story need to be unambiguously pro-Christian. If you can tell a good story that meaningfully engages with Christianity, we want to read it.
  • Read more about what we're looking for in our Theme Guidelines.

DSCrankshaw

Registered
Reaction score
New opp.. opens 10/15

http://www.mysterionanthology.com/p/submission-guidelines.html

We're looking for speculative stories--science fiction, fantasy, horror--with Christian themes, characters, or cosmology.

Thanks for the link! Mysterion is now open and taking submissions, and we're always looking for more.

I've added a thread in the paying markets forum as well. And here's a recent post discussing what we're seeing a lot of and what we'd like to see more of.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hey gang, there's a new C-fic market hatching!

Gilead Publishing

This is so new the link above is from Steve Laube's blog, not the actual publisher homepage. However, the showrunners are people formerly with Zondervan and Tyndale, so it ain't "Hey, gang, nobody wants my book so I'll become a publisher too!"

As always: Research and then research some more before you talk to your agent about entrusting your book to ANYONE! (Right now they're only accepting agented subs.) And I strongly recommend waiting a year to see if they float or sink.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Tyndale. Weren't they, back in the day, the publisher that was so exclusive they needed to already know you (better still, your agent) before they would even accept a query?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Pelican Book Group (hope this is the right thread) is now accepting romance subs. Copied from the e-mail:

They are not interested in publishing a book that has been previously self published. They stress this point on their website more than once, as they evidently have to deal with this issue a lot. So please do not submit a previously published book to them.

Their website is aimed at readers, not writers, which is always a good sign. Although I did find their website a little hard to navigate.

Many authors have published multiple books with them, which is also a good sign. Their covers vary wildly in quality, some are excellent and others are very amateurish.

They respond through email exclusively, so make sure your spam filter does not block them. Also their response times have been generally reported as being rather quick, and almost always under 60 days.

All submissions must be made through their online submission form. They ask that you specify which imprint you are submitting to, so it is worth your time to research all the imprints before hand to ensure that you are querying the right editor. Their submission form is very thorough. You should make sure to spell check and edit all your written responses before submitting the form.

May you C-fic romancers' work find favor!

christopherdschmitz

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
the In the John devotional series is a newly released Christian devotional humor book. It's something like a cocktail blend of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader and My Utmost for His Highest. the first in the series, John in the John, was recently launched with eLectio Publishing. Forthcoming novels will be more of an anthology style (think John Acuff meets Chicken Soup) and are open to submissions with a heavy emphasis on the humorous. The next edition is Gospels in the John and will feature stories, anecdotes, and thoughts with reference verses from any of the four Gospels.
Reprints are OK!
Examples can be seen on the project website (or you can find it on Amazon and use the Look Inside feature.) Please visit http://johninthejohn.my-free.website/ to check it out and submit stories.