Not in the mood?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hell. I am stalled on my novella because it's time for the big sex scene and I feel 'blah'.

Every get out of the mood? Maybe I need to go and write something else for a while. I've burned out my smut neuron.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Hell. I am stalled on my novella because it's time for the big sex scene and I feel 'blah'.

Every get out of the mood? Maybe I need to go and write something else for a while. I've burned out my smut neuron.

Now you've done it! I am going to have this vision of a pink bunny with phallic ears marching around banging on a drum, while a narrator speaks of the "Smutergizer Bunny".

I feel like Oedipus just before he put out his own eyes.

Regards,
Scott:wag:

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you got it from me. I've been feeling so BLAH about sex writing lately.

I'm taking a break and working on nonfiction. It's the only way I know how to recharge.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
You're not alone.

I wonder if it's the whole Mercury in retrograde thing. Anyone know if that affects hormones too? I mean, I'm really not a believer in astrology, but I've gotta say there've been a lot of mechanical glitches recently, of the sort blamed on Mercury in retrograde, and they all started happening after I heard about Mercury going into retrograde. And writers who believe in that stuff are saying it also affects creativity, especially of the first-draft sort.

But, yeah, I so feel (or, in this case, don't feel) what you're going through. I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while, every time I think about writing a major sex scene, and just can't get into it.

At the moment, I'm doing second-draft edits, which doesn't require a whole heck of a lot of passion, just a bit of boring persistence. If you've got a project in that stage, maybe working on it would help get you past this phase.

And if it IS the effect of Mercury in Retrograde, that's supposed to end somewhere around the end of the month, so relief is in sight.

JD

Quiller

Registered
Reaction score
What I did was just insert eager Point A into eager Slot B and watch the reactions of the characters. Also, I always made the gender character opposite my intended reader insatiable. Nice fantasy, an insatiable lover.

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
I'll go w/ the Mercury/retrograde theory. I'm not into astrology, but there has to be some explanation. I'm just not feeling *it*

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Works for me.

The Mercury explanation, I mean, not anything else, like actually writing or cars or stuff.

Let's hope we all get huge bursts of inspiration the end of next week when Mercury gets the hell out of retrograde, wherever that is.

JD

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Veinglory, if you're looking for something to spend your next royalty cheque on, I can recommend a particular model of DVD player for which I have the "switch off region coding" sequence. And it's dual voltage, and talks to both PAL and NTSC tvs. :) Plays my UK DVDs very well, and I'll be able to take it with me should we return to sunny England.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A0AJH/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Still not in the mood...I'm working on other things, but I can't get into the erotica mood.

I think it is Mercury in retrograde. That explains it!

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
HAH! I didn't even notice that the first time. I just thought that's what you meant. ;)

James Buchanan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eroticjames.tripod.com
The heat is just killing the mood. At 9am it was close to 80f already. Was out by the splash pool at 6, and sitting in my chair watching the spawn, sweat was running down my back.

I did write a nice bit about wading in the ocean... but no sex.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Giffen is in a Cybercafe thinking about starting smoking again (cigarettes that is, not in bed). The whole story is in a funk.

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Brainstorming lately. Maybe Mercury is moving out of retrograde?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I've had the same problem, and I too think it's the heat and the retrograde. I'm feeling better (and writing hotter) today, so I can only assume that was it.

In response to the question, I usually do the scene anyway. Sometimes it comes to life as I write it, other times I need to go back and revise, but I've never just written "insert hot scene here" and went on. Though I've been tempted to. :)

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm back from the RWA conference and was hoping to hear y'all had found some moods, now that Mercury is out of retrograde (as of Saturday, IIRC).

My brain is too fried right now to even recognize a mood or act on the right one, but I'm feeling inspired to settle down to work tomorrow, aiming to get some manuscripts done and onto someone else's desk, mood or no mood.

JD

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, I am plowing on with my current novella--but I have no idea how good what I am writing is. Hell, just look at that sentence I just wrote--what a mess. Meh. At least I'm writing. I am commited to finsihing so many novellas by next March that I better keep going!

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it has anything to do w/ the Mercury/retrograde or not, but I think I'm getting back in the flow. I have ideas for a new short and potential novella. Back to the grind...