• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Publishers Marketplace / Publishers Lunch

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
About Publisher's Marketplace (merged into existing thread in BR&BC)

Hi there. I just had a couple of questions to anyone who is willing to answer.

My agent just listed my novels on Publisher's Marketplace. I'm not really familiar with this end of it. I would imagine it's good for advertisement, but does it really work? I mean, I suppose editors from all over search for new work that way, right? And if they are interested in seeing more, they contact the repping agent. Unless I have it wrong.

Does anyone else have their work out like this? Has it worked for you that way?

Right now my agent's working on the pitch and compiling a list too. Was just wondering what you guys had to say about PM.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers Marketplace Question

(Apologies in advance if this isn't the right board for my question).

I've recently become a member of Publishers Marketplace - thought I'd just try it for one month, see what it had to offer. I'm looking at the features and have been rather intrigued by the "Dealmakers" section. I type in an agent's name, and voila! Deals are listed (genre, publisher, etc) for the past few years. This was exactly the type of info I was hoping for, in my agent search.

But here's my question -- I researched an agent today that claimed "25 books sold last year" (she's a "recommended" agency on Predators/Editors, so I trust that info). But when I plugged in her info to the PM search engine for deals, it said she'd made only 2 deals....ever. Is that because those other deals just weren't reported? It even seems like some of the bigger agencies don't have as many deals listed on PM as I'd expected.

So, am I doing the PM search wrong? Is there a trick I should know about? I guess I just assumed it would be a more comprehensive list -- because, what's the good in it, if I can't get a pretty accurate picture of an agency's overall sales? *slightly puzzled*

**EDIT - thanks for moving this to the right place! ;-)

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Yes, not all agents bother; my own only reported mine and a few others because I asked him to. A lot of the really established agents don't, simply because everyone already knows they can make deals.

Make sure you check the agent's thread here, though (and if there isn't one, start one; just do Search first, it's an option in the blue bar in the upper right, where it says "Search this forum"), and do a Google search. Look at their clients; do they have books on shelves?

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Publisher's Marketplace has come up in some Google searches lately, and now I realize I've been confusing them with Publishers Weekly, which confused me even more, because it wasn't the same as what I was used to seeing in Publishers Weekly. I assumed the marketplace was kind of like a classifieds for the Weekly. Are they in any way related?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... :(

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Good idea/not, Publishers Marketplace promo page?

Hi, this is a question about book promotion in the Publisher's Marketplace.:hi:

I subscribe to PM and it's full of great info.

I noticed that there is a self- promo area available for anyone (writers looking for agents, editors looking to help writers, any member.)

I saw several author pages that looked very well done, with author photo, bio, and recent ms which the author is offering while looking for representation.

Overall, the PM has great info and is seen by many industry pros. What I'm wondering is if the self promo page there is a good idea for an author looking to find representation, posting up the synopsis for his/her ms. for all to see at once. I emailed them and found that it's free for members. What do you think?

PROS and CONS

1-It does get a very wide audience. Might attracts lots of agents.
2-But does it look desperate?
3-An agent might look at it and want to sign the person
4-An agent might think the author has over- saturated a potential audience of both readers and agents.
5-Someone might see the synopsis and "borrow" from it for their own ms
6-An author might already be sending the ms out and those agents would feel this is too much of a "multiple" submission
7-Just generally wondering if it's a good idea or not?
8-But it's no different, is it, from self pubbing/ebooks where your entire ms is out there and the author is likely not to be agented?
9-It might be a wonderful way, in the way an open blog site might be for a self-published author of an ebook.
10-It's free to members, just keep in mind there is a $20 a month fee to be a member.

Your opinions welcome on whether this would be a good idea for an author actively seeking representation.
:welcome:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see much of any advantage to having a promo page in PM. I did for a couple of years and never got a single lead. No agent ever contacted me.

PROS and CONS

1-It does get a very wide audience. Might attracts lots of agents.

Unlikely.

2-But does it look desperate?

I think it looks amateurish.

3-An agent might look at it and want to sign the person

Again, unlikely. Agents worth having already have more than enough submissions to keep them busy. They don't need to look at promo pages. Agents trolling PM for leads are probably not very good agents.

4-An agent might think the author has over- saturated a potential audience of both readers and agents.

I doubt this has any relevance.

5-Someone might see the synopsis and "borrow" from it for their own ms

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Worrying about someone stealing your ideas is fruitless.

6-An author might already be sending the ms out and those agents would feel this is too much of a "multiple" submission

I doubt this is much of a problem. Real agents don't bother.

7-Just generally wondering if it's a good idea or not?

Generally? Not in my opinion.

8-But it's no different, is it, from self pubbing/ebooks where your entire ms is out there and the author is likely not to be agented?

Being no worse is not the same as a being good idea.

9-It might be a wonderful way, in the way an open blog site might be for a self-published author of an ebook.

Blogs and websites are only really useful (IMO) if an author is already well known. They are useless for building notoriety. The best way to do that is to write a terrific novel.

10-It's free to members, just keep in mind there is a $20 a month fee to be a member.

My thought about PM was that it is too expensive unless you are already a published writer. You can get leads from the free "Lunch" or even better from the Bewares board here on AW.

Brotherssteinle

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers Marketplace Dealmaker??

Sorry I searched for this but nothing came up, no clue which forum this should go in either. Wondering, what does dealmaker mean on PM? I don't have a subscription but it often comes up next to an agents name when I google them and I can't access the link.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Moved from FAQs and merged into existing thread.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
"Dealmaker" means anyone making a book deal: agent, agency, editor, publisher. If you're a PM member, you can click on the "dealmaker" link at the PM website and search on a name or names and get a list of the deals they've reported to PM. I'm guessing that what's coming up in your websearches are links to these lists, and you can't access them because you're not a PM member.

- Victoria

eruthford

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theydontcry.wordpress.com
Agent database search could be helpful

I recently made some discoveries on how you can search for agents you might not find otherwise using database searches, and I thought I'd share the methods here.

For some time I'd been querying agents listed in my genre in Writers Market and was getting a once-in-a-while request to see a partial. And then I got one rejection from an agent I'd found with the ManuScript WishList thing on Twitter. She said, "I think this is for the Christian market, and we don't really do that," which then led to the question, how do I figure out who is in the Christian market? Because if you do a search on "religious" on Writers Market or Publishers Marketplace, you find an awful lot of agents who sell books about Tantric breathing exercises, and others who do commentary on Scripture. (Not knocking that, but it's a mismatch.)

Ok, so that was my dilemma, but it doesn't just apply to the Christian market, but it's a question that anyone could ask, that is, "What agents and publishers are involved in books similar to my manuscript?" And recently I was tooling around in Publishers Marketplace and found the following methods to be helpful.

First, I knew of a few publishers that I hoped might take my book, and I found that I could do a search on the deals that publisher had done. From the Publishers Marketplace main page, on the left list bar, I clicked on "dealmakers" and then went to the upper right corner of the screen where there was "search dealmakers." I typed in the first big publisher's name (or imprint), and up came a page with a list of all the books they'd bought in the past 12 months. I then clicked on "overall" to get all the deals since 2004, and then I could scroll through the deals, finding summaries of books that were 2-3 sentences long, which usually ended with the name of the agent. I then typed all of those names in to a spreadsheet.

Second, I wanted to find other publishers that I didn't know about in that genre, so I started from the main page, clicked "dealmakers," then in the middle upper left corner, the section called "browse top agents," where under "dealmaker type" I selected "imprints," and under "deals category," I selected my genre, "non-fiction: religion/spirituality." And then that brought up a list of top religion/spirituality publishers. I could then click on each publisher and scroll through the deals to see if they ever printed books like mine and for the ones that did, I grabbed the agent name from the end of the summary. I put all of them in to the spreadsheet.

Third, Publisher's Marketplace allows you to search agents by genre, which wasn't as helpful to me because I'm sort of stuck in between two categories with Christian memoir. But I was still able to find a few names this way. From the main page, I clicked on "dealmakers," then "browse top dealmakers." Under dealmaker type, I said "agent" this time, and under deals category I said, "non-fiction:religion/spirituality," which brought up a list of the top 100 agents in that category, and then I did the same thing but changed the deals category to "non-fiction:memoir" and got the top 100 agents in that category. And I was able to find a few more people who sold titles in those categories.

So what this got me was a list of 130 agents who rep books related to mine, only 19 of whom I'd previously queried. This made me quite happy as I was thinking I'd already annoyed all the fish in the sea. Now, I'm sure as I actually check each agent's Web site, I'll find that a number of them have retired, switched agencies, closed to new queries, etc., but I was very glad to see that there are some new possibilities for my manuscript, and I can target agents more precisely.

A couple of limitations of this method: One, it's heavily biased towards quantity. There are some hyper-efficient agents out there (in my genre's case, Chip MacGregor and Greg Johnson) who seem to be everyone's favorite rep, so it won't tell you who might be willing to take on an obscure author such as yourself. Also this doesn't tell you anything about how successful a particular book was, and you find the perfect agent who repped a book just like yours, and then she writes back and says "meh. The last one was a stinker."

So I hope you found this interesting. I don't know how effective it will be as I'm still just slogging along with no agent right now myself, but there you go.

airairair

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers Marketplace Dealmaker Screenshot

Good morning!

I'm hoping someone can help me with a huge request.

I am hoping to get a screenshot of a recent "deal" listed in publishers marketplace.

I can't afford a subscription to publishers marketplace unfortunately, and all I need is a screenshot of this deal paragraph.

If someone can help me out and send me the screenshot, I'll be forever in your debt!

Thank you!:)

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check your local library or inter-library loan. Many universities subscribe and many libraries do as well.

Jeff