• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Publishers Marketplace / Publishers Lunch

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I searched the index, honest! In a Google search I just found a site called Publisher's Marketplace that appears to have listings of available manuscripts but also shows about ten agents as members. Is it legit or were the red flags I saw on the horizon really there? Thanks for any info. Puma

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Are we talking about this? http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/

It's quite real, and quite useful.

Manuscripts do get sold there.

However, last I heard, all those sales involve at least two of the following three items:

1) Rights other than first publication
2) An AAR-member agent (or an agent who could be an AAR member).
3) A previously-published author.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, James, that's the one. The reason I found it was through a search for "Writers in the Sky" agency. One of the manuscripts they have is listed on there with their agent Mark Straley. I'd looked at the W in the S website - they do have about ten authors listed now - and was curious whether anything they were doing might show up through Google. Looks like Publisher's Marketplace has lots of agents listed. Puma

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Publishers Marketplace is a great resource--I often refer people there. However, anyone who pays its fee can be a member. Case in point: the infamous Cris Robins of the Robins Agency. She has an agent listing and has posted a number of manuscripts. When I wrote to the Publishers Marketplace people to let them know that they were, in effect, aiding and abetting a scam, they told me that they couldn't police their membership.

So, as with all online agent resources, use this one with a certain amount of caution, and do a bit of extra research on anyone you find listed there.

- Victoria

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
Membership is $20 a month and you can cancel on line without problems. It's well worth a one month subscription just to research the site. I've started and stopped a couple of times.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Publishers Lunch: has anyone seen my lunch?

I usually get the "Free Lunch" from Publishers Marketplace, but lately it's been sporadic. Does anyone know what's happening there? Is it just the time of year? (Labor Day, etc.)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got mine too. They do tend to get a bit spotty around holidays like this, but if memory serves, they do give us readers a heads-up.

foreverstamp

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
[Resource] Publisher's Marketplace

Are the Publishers and Agents listed in publisher’s marketplace safe (highly regarded)? Are there certain requirements that PM requires of its members?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Is Publishers Marketplace worth it? (merged into B&BC thread)

$20/month. I see a lot of Google hits on it that I'd like to read, but it requires a subscription. Anyone know if the stuff in there has useful information for those of us who are in the querying, not-yet-published stage of their careers?

incognitopress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elisaromero.com
I only wish I'd forked over the $20 earlier. It's so useful when you're looking up agents and want to see their track record, what they've sold, what kind of stuff they represent... also, I've been enjoying all the articles on the London Book Fair, the latest in publishing news, etc.
You can also check out entire agencies, see who the agents there are and what each has sold. The specifics of the deals aren't mentioned, but you get an idea because of the "nice deal", "major deal", "6-figure deal" indicators.

You can set up a deal tracker page where you can track any particular agents/agencies you're interested in. I've found myself using that a lot. Also fun was the "look up who's representing who" page....now I know who all my fav authors are repped by.
I'll probably cancel in another month or so, but it's quite tempting to hang on to the membership a while longer....I find myself checking back quite often and looking for news about the latest deals...it's addictive!

anyway, I definitely got my $20's worth this month! try it, I think you'll agree. The information is worth it, especially if you're currently in the process of pursuing agents.

Last edited:

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
The $20.00 fee is nominal compared to having access to the PM site. Also, I find that I can get around a general submissions mailbox on an agency's web site by finding an agent's email not listed on that site, and either sending a query directly to the agent, or at least using their email as a cc. Also able to track deals, get info on top dealmakers by genre, etc. The $20.00 is well worth paying, and honestly, I spend more on coffee and liquor....

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
. . . and here comes a request for a partial.

That's amazing. Tons of top dealmakers whom I never found in the other directories. And I just got a "Please send" from one of them!

incognitopress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elisaromero.com
Yay, Miss Plum!! :D Congrats!
So glad that you're finding it useful, I know I still do. The snooping in the deals section can get a bit addictive, doesn't it? :)

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
And it helps when the site lists them in order from 1 to 100 starting with highest sales in the genre you're writing. Of course, there are some agents who don't list their sales on PM.

starryeyedkt

Hello, smexyface.
Registered
Reaction score
Publisher's Marketplace (merged into B&BC thread)

I'm not sure if this belongs here ... or anywhere for that matter.

I'm just curious - should I fork out the $20 a month for a PM subscription? I'm currently querying, and waiting on about 30 agents to get back to me, and I have 2 partials out in the world, but should I keep going with my query quest?

Argh, such a dilemma! Sorry to sound so whiney, thanks for any answers! :e2flowers

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
PM is a great way to keep up industry news (they send a daily newsletter), as well as see what's selling and to whom. The Deals listing is the main reason I have the subscription.

If you can afford the subscription, I recommend it.