• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Alternative Story Structures

Nanginoo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there, everyone!

I recently had my mind blown when I read an article on 'kishotenketsu', a 4 act story structure developed in China and common in Japan and Korea (if you're curious, the acts are Introduction, Development, Twist, and Resolution). It got me thinking... what else is out there?

We all know Ol' Reliable, the three-act story, and J Cambell's Hero's Journey, and with good reason - they flippin' work. But I would love to know if any of you have come across anything else as far as underlying story structure goes - whether just in theory, or stories that are clear examples.

I know it's kind of a nebulous thing to approach, especially in writing - what develops on its own is hard to pin down, to say nothing of the writer's intuition or the demands of a specific story. But all the same, I'm curious, and look forward to your findings!

-Nanginoo

PS. If any of y'all are interested, here's a link to the article I read on kishotenketsu
https://mythicscribes.com/plot/kishotenketsu/

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
This is very interesting; thank you for sharing!

I'm a big fan of Kiki's Delivery Service, so it was fun seeing it broken down like that.

I struggle greatly with story structure, so it's always good to read articles about this.

waxesnostalgic

Registered
Reaction score
I love reading the Japanese novelist Natsume Sōseki and have spent a lot of time pondering (and trying to replicate) how he writes such amazing books with little to no conflict. The Gate, especially. Now my question is answered--so thank you! :)

Iustefan

slow going but enjoying it
Registered
Reaction score
That Kim Yoonmi article was really interesting.

As for the topic, I like stories which don't seem to have a perceptible structure (but usually obviously do), and which feel a bit more like however real life is being plotted for us.

Or, I like stories which have highly experimental structures, and really take me for a ride. Even if there's boring bits, or bits which could be considered fluff, or unrealized narrative threads. I don't mind. Stuff like Hopscotch, Ulysses, Agua Viva, Peru, Against Nature, Tropic of Cancer.