ISBN question

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
I know that a different ISBN is needed for the same title in hardcover, paperback, and e-book. However, I am confused about e-books. Amazon's web site says you don't need an ISBN to publish a book to Kindle through them. Is this because you don't need an ISBN, or is it because Amazon will obtain an ISBN and assign it to your title?

Suppose you publish an e-book through Kindle (which I have done), and used an ISBN you obtained from Bowker. If I now want to issue the same book as a Nook title through Barnes & Noble, does it use the same ISBN that was used on Amazon, or do Kindle and Nook versions of the same title (and same edition) share the same ISBN number?

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
I think I found the answer ... and the answer seems to be "Maybe" or "It depends."

https://www.bookcoaching.com/do-i-really-need-a-separate-isbn-for-my-ebook/

Does the information in that link appear to be correct? I think I will assume that it is correct. I have already assigned an ISBN to my Kindle edition, so if I also publish it for Nook through B&N I'll assign a new ISBN to that edition.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll need separate ISBNs for each format you decide to produce, so one for hardback, one for paperback, one for MOBI (which is the format Amazon uses, as do other outlets), one for PDF, and one for E-PUB. Even though Amazon assigns its own number, you'll still need to assign an ISBN to the MOBI file since it can be available through not-Amazon sites.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Amazon stuff has ASINs, which you can think of as their inventory number for an item (even non-books have these). An ISBN is a universal number and aren't (supposed to be*) reused, so when your professor tells you to buy 978-XXXXXXXXXX, you can take that to Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Chegg etc and look up the exact book (including edition) that you need. A book published thru Amazon will ALWAYS have an ASIN, but it MAY have an ISBN, too. Generally you need an ISBN to be sold in other bookstores, but if you want to sell your books at, say, a con table then you don't.

* This is incredibly annoying for librarians and anyone who deals with inventory. Especially when it's a different edition, with updated info, such as is the case with medical textbooks. If you reuse an ISBN the ISBN police won't come after you or anything, but you're going to make a big problem for other people down the line. So you can​ reuse ISBNs, but you really shouldn't

Reactions: cmhbob

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
You have a few options, and none of them require you to purchase an ISBN, but if you have one feel free to tag it to the version of your choice in lieu of the free provided ones. Or better yet save it for when you need it. 'Assigned' vs. 'Automatically Assigned' means you can use your own if you have it.

1. Amazon KDP ebook - ASIN automatically assigned for free. Page source numbers ISBN assigned for free.
2. Amazon KDP print - ISBN assigned for free.
3. Draft 2 Digital aggregator - ISBN assigned for free. D2D ISBN will remain constant for all D2D versions of the same book for all sales outlets.
4. Smashwords aggregator - same as D2D. ISBN will remain constant for all Smashwords versions of the same book for all sales outlets.
5. Individual sales outlets - you will generally need to supply an ISBN. Not recommended due to the tax accounting headache.

Note: D2D will distribute to Amazon, but it's generally not advised for a variety of reasons. Smashwords and D2D are redundant to each other. Most people prefer the D2D version when both are listed but many sales outlets will drop a second edition, and it will generally be the Smashwords version.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I remember somewhere in my self-publishing research that if you use your own ISBN, as opposed to the one supplied by Amazon (D2D, etc), you own your book? I have this in my personal notes on what to do when self-publishing, but I have no idea where I got this information from now, sorry! And, obviously you still own your book, even if you use a free ISBN...if someone can clear this up, that would be great! lol Because I'm Canadian and get free ISBNs, I got my own instead of using the ones supplied for free by the various companies. But ISBNs can be expensive in other countries, so I can see why it would be a good option to use the supplied ones, which are free.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You own your book regardless of whether you use Amazon's ident or your own ISBN. If you're Amazon exclusive, I'm not sure it makes much sense to buy an ISBN (if you're in a country where they cost money) vs. using Amazon's freebie - they apparently both work in the Expanded Distribution Program.

Reactions: MaryLennox

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I just pubbed an ebook in January this year. KDP doesn't require an ISBN and will not assign one. They automatically assign an ASIN. ISBNs are an option, and they request or require using BAWKER. Buying an ISBN allows you to use your own imprint, including an image. The imprint doesn't require registration. You just make up a unique name and/or image. After you pub, go to your KDP ebook content and put the ISBN in the option and the name of your publisher in the Publishing box. Mine is MUDDWALTERbooks.

That ISBN is yours to use if you can pub on Amazon and somewhere else.

Last edited:

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I just pubbed an ebook in January this year. KDP doesn't require an ISBN and will not assign one. They automatically assign an ASIN. ISBNs are an option, and they request or require using BAWKER. Buying an ISBN allows you to use your own imprint, including an image. The imprint doesn't not require registration. You just make up a unique name and/or image. After you pub, go to your KDP ebook content and put the ISBN in the option and the name of your publisher in the Publishing box. Mine is MUDDWALTERbooks.

That ISBN is your to use if you can pub on Amazon and somewhere else.
Ah! That's it! I think I wanted to use my own ISBN so it would be listed under the publisher's name, not Amazon KDP.