Digital voice recorders

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Hi everybody!

First, MODS if there is already a thread for this subject, by all means send me there (there's 106 pages of Tech threads and I am NOT that patient to sift through them all).

So, I tried using a voice recorder, back when we had to chisel the words onto tiny micro-tapes. I had some success but it just seemed clunky to me. I have not caught up with the latest technology, but thought I may give it a go.

I just did a google search and literally 100's of the little buggers came up! Just a bit overwhelming :scared:

Does anyone on AW use this tech with any degree of frequency? What are the beneficial and less than desirable features of these devices?

I know there is voice to text software available (not sure of pricing), but I'm looking for something that I can use while I'm working (I'm a machinist). And maybe there are devices that plug directly into the computer for voice to text? I may not be able to find a good fit anyway, simply because of the noise of the environment I work in, but I would be willing to part with a few dollars to try it out.

Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Digital voice recorders are separate devices and bring with them all the problems that every new electronic thing brings. That being said, I use one all the time. The sound quality is far better than the recorder in my phone and having the voice files saved on a memory card makes it much easier to organize things in my car or at a coffee shop. Mine is an Olympus - I recommend it, but it's the only brand I've tried.

I know nothing about current voice to text software but some voice recorders come bundled with it.

druid12000

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I did some research, and by research I mean slogging through all the available models in a moderate price range (_____ is the best thing since sliced bread!), and found a couple I am going to check out in store today.

I think I'm just going to have to take the plunge and try one for a while. The price tags aren't heart stopping, so at worst I can use it at home.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking for one for voice dictation (to transcribe later by other means) or just to record thoughts and notes as you have them? If the latter, an Apple watch is by far the best option, although you look like Dick Tracy while recording a note.

If the former, all you really need to worry about are ease of use (one button record) and something that is small enough to put in your pocket but not so small you'll lose it. Generally speaking, if you're going to stop and give dictation, you probably aren't right in the middle of a ski run or something similar.

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
I also want to ask what Dennis is asking; are you dictating your own voice? Recording aural experiences? Interviewing on location? Your needs are different in each case.

druid12000

Registered
Reaction score
I would be using the recorder for dictating my own voice. I work alone most of the time but often get too busy for long stretches of time to stop and write down thoughts and bits and pieces of stories and dialog that come to me. Until recently it wasn't a big deal, but I have started on a new project and I'm spitballing ideas pretty rapidly over the course of a night. Some ideas are getting lost and I'd like to save them, even if they don't end up in the finished product, because they have a tendency to spark other ideas.

I work around/with machinery and it can get pretty loud. I'm looking at the possible use of an external microphone to plug into the device in case the built in mic(s) pick up too much of the surrounding noise.

Thanks so much for the help guys, it is very much appreciated!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a smart phone?

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
What AW Admin said - pretty much every smartphone has a voice recorder app, and the microphones on phones are highly directional - they pick up what's in front of them and not a lot else. So to avoid background noise, just point the mic right in front of you (often the bottom of the phone).

Zoom and Tascam are good names in the handheld recorder market, but the majority of devices in that space are intended for field recordings etc. rather than dictation.

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
It doesn't sound like you need a DVR. You might want to try a better mic, but I'll bet not.

IF ... you were interviewing machinists and wanted to preserve the experience of them talking over background noise in a way that would have you clearly able to understand what they said and describe each element of the noise, then I doubt a phone would do the job, but in this case, try the phone first.

stefano

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about once you've got it recorded, how easily you can get it to text. It looks like google has something to handle that.

Reactions: byarvin

KitCarruthers

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
For this kind of tool, I usually stay with Sony. But the model I had for years was made just before mp3 & USB so while it is small and sturdy, one can't get the recordings off-loaded. It also required batteries.

So: I recently added a new model to my drawer which is mp3 & USB compatible. Charges via cable. Its an Evida model v618.

The one drawback to most of these devices is awkward button design, and similarly inscrutable menus and commands. They take some time to learn. You really do need to read every page of the instruction manual to get the hang of them.

The feature I always want most is a one-button on-off which I can find with my thumb when the gadget is hidden deep down in my pocket. Because that's how I use the thing, to covertly record an occasional conversation to cover-my-ass.