• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Pub] Bound to Brew

Feriku

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I got an IWSGPit like from an editor at Bound to Brew, a small publisher that doesn't seem to have a thread here.

https://boundtobrew.com/

They started up in 2020, and their main business model seems to involve bundling books with coffee. Oddly, it looks like their books don't really have cover art, which I assume is an intentional look they're going for. At first I thought it was just the way they were displayed on the website, but they appear on Amazon with the same minimal cover design.

Their submissions page says they offer advances.

Overall, it doesn't look like a place I want to submit to, but I thought I'd make a thread for them since there isn't one yet.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My big question is how many copies can realistically be sold through this venue?

Secondary to that, I think this would work better as a way to promote existing books that are also available through other venues. If published here, seems to me the first rights would be gone for any later commercial publication. For self-published, I can see it working better if the author issued a new version for sale in other markets. As a platform builder I don't see this being very useful.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Currently closed to submissions.

All the usual warning flags for a start-up publisher: website geared toward writers rather than readers (and in this case, coffee-drinkers before readers), no staff listed in the About Us section, mailing address is a UPS Store in Highlands Ranch, CO (about half an hour south of Denver). The company has no listing with the Denver State Corporation Commission - which I find concerning.

I could only find two employees listed on LinkedIn. Both appear to be in their early twenties; one is a Florida-based acquisitions editor with a 2019 BA in English who is currently working on her MPS in Publishing, and the other is based in Denver and appears to be some sort of marketing person (in his job description, he lists delivering info cards to libraries, bookstores and coffee shops as his first responsibility, and making cold calls as his second).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Part of their problem is that name. My first thought for 'Bound to Brew' was beer not coffee.
Especially in the thread title here: [Pub] Bound to Brew.
Books didn't really cross my mind.