How Would Your MC React

TurbulentMuse

Muse
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking it would be fun if we came up with wild situations and the next person detailed how their main character would react to it.

Here’s the first scenario: How would your MC react if an alien spaceship landed outside their home?

Reactions: llyralen

Mattpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Here’s the first scenario: How would your MC react if an alien spaceship landed outside their home?

Well, my MC is a drifter with no real "home," but if an alien spaceship landed next to him, he would initially break down because his worldview would be shattered, but eventually he'd try to learn about the aliens once he calmed down.

How would your MC react if a killer clown kidnapped the person they care about most?

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
Forgive the long answer, this one was just perfect for my MC.

He’d lose it. It’s his ultimate insecurity. Being of an anthro jaguar race (called Ocholturi), he is considered to be one of the most feared hunters, but this is a double edged sword. He wants to maintain his belief of being the “apex,” and is deeply ashamed of past trauma related to his own kidnapping a few years before the events of the book. He sees anyone taking either himself or someone he cares about hostage as the ultimate insult.

While Thaleen typically acts rationally and methodically, he would fly into a full hysterical rage. I’m picturing the classic “otherwise well composed, well dressed leader looking disheveled with a crooked tie grabs a gun from an incompetent crony and says ‘fine I’ll do it myself’ before shooting wildly at everything that moves.” Add the fact that it was the doing of a clown, something already absurd, would just add to the level of humiliation channeled into rage. He’d get sloppy, and probably end up seriously injured or maimed depending on what weapons the killer clown had at its disposal, and would probably end up getting the person he loved killed to be honest.

How would your MC react if they woke up in the morning as a different species, but everyone treated them as though nothing were different?

TurbulentMuse

Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Riley would immediately go to work and start researching perception-altering and species-changing magic, and probably also call their mage grandmother for help/advice. If they didn’t figure out what was going on that way they would tell their boss what was happening. Kind of a boring answer, but Riley’s a researcher through and through.

How would your MC react if they unexpectedly met a major celebrity?

Last edited:

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
Thaleen would not care. He sees the world like "four square" drawn in the sand; there are kings, queens, jacks and dunces, but they are all on an equal playing field. He is not easily impressed by status, as it can so easily shift. He'd probably try to get under their skin, depending on who it was (especially the Goddess yDolaarch).

How would your MC react if they were offered a free lesson in learning a powerful but "forbidden" form of magic by a cloaked figure who pulled them aside in a crowded port?

TurbulentMuse

Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Riley’s answer is kind of boring (arrest them) so I’ll go with my other protagonist, Cecilia.

Pre-book Cecilia would be scared but still jump at the chance to learn anything she could use to improve her life (but politely decline if there’s a cost that involves physically hurting others) .

Post-book Cecilia would say thank you but she’s already just as powerful as she needs to be.

How would your MC react if their home was destroyed by a meteor?

Autumn Leaves

Registered
Reaction score
How would your MC react if their home was destroyed by a meteor?
Oh, that seems to be the perfect solution for one of my MCs, Marie. She will demand every possible compensation from the local king, sell the ore from the meteorite to interested buyers, and invite tourists to visit the site (complete with guided tours and a souvenir stand, maybe eventually an alfresco cafe and other accessories like that) for a fee. In the end, she and her husband will earn enough money to finally pay the debts inherited from her parents-in-law, and they’ll build themselves a new and better house in place of the old one.
Marie might be young but if she’s got any experience, it’s at “How to Build a SF/F-Themed Tourist Attraction from Scratch”.

Autumn Leaves

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that seems to be the perfect solution for one of my MCs, Marie. She will demand every possible compensation from the local king, sell the ore from the meteorite to interested buyers, and invite tourists to visit the site (complete with guided tours and a souvenir stand, maybe eventually an alfresco cafe and other accessories like that) for a fee. In the end, she and her husband will earn enough money to finally pay the debts inherited from her parents-in-law, and they’ll build themselves a new and better house in place of the old one.
Marie might be young but if she’s got any experience, it’s at “How to Build a SF/F-Themed Tourist Attraction from Scratch”.
Sorry, at first I forgot to post the next question!

How would your MC react if they suddenly gained an ability to shapeshift?

Otter Poltergeist

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, at first I forgot to post the next question!

How would your MC react if they suddenly gained an ability to shapeshift?

This one is perfect for my MC, since one of his smorgasbord of random powers will eventually be shapeshifting.

...But if it were to happen to him right now, he would quickly accept his new life as a chinchilla, assuming there was no hope of ever turning back, even if an obvious solution was staring him in his cuddly face.

How would your MC react if they had to go undercover, posing as someone else, and then give a speech in front of a large audience?

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
How would your MC react if they had to go undercover, posing as someone else, and then give a speech in front of a large audience?

For the most part, she would hit up a friend of hers whose job is exactly this. My MC would have a hard time with the "posing as someone else" part, but the rest of it she could do. She would rather use her toothbrush to scrub the toilet and then eat the toothbrush, but she would be able to give a speech in front of a large audience.

How would your MC react if they were given control of an element but with the price of once of their limbs?

Reactions: llyralen

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
Mine would choose fire to match her hair color. She would use it in the polar Arctic where she is from to move ice sheets to escape the island when she needs to. She could have stopped the witch-burning of her uncle if the power had come to her sooner. What a regret! She would also use it to keep herself and others warm and to cook seal meat. She could tell stories/ make pictures in the fire. She has to be careful around the boats. She would need her feet to escape and would have to sacrifice her left arm.

What if your character was cursed with a snout that eclipsed Cyrano de Bergerac’s?

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
For Psycat, there would be frantic calling of The Herald to come and do a curse breaking, all the while Marcus would be making tengu and dildo jokes. That is, before he got a mental slap upside the head. After the curse was broken, we'd probably see her give the jerk who cast it on her a migraine.

For my Heka series MC, she'd counter the spell while the Enskibres and Miethra kept whatever group busy. Depending on how far into the series it is, there may be a bow pulled, and a very annoyed sylph doing a possession.

Assume a modern setting with superheroes, but their origins are seen as STEM-based. What would your MC do if they were approached by a pre-Christian god/dess offering power in exchange for becoming their emissary in your critically under-superhero-patrolled city?