What is your best "I'm angry I woke up from this dream" story?

Mattpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is a dream that mostly centered on two characters falling in love and beginning a relationship (an odd dream for me, as I'm not remotely romantic.)

The characters were a boy who seemed to be the personification of the color black, and a girl who was the personification of the color pink. They had to overcome the prejudice of the world and accept their feelings for one another. My subconscious apparently really likes being on the nose.

And then the zombie apocalypse started and both characters had to join the army to fight it and then my alarm clock woke me up.

Someone please steal this and turn it a book. I need closure!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to choose, and not because I have so many that are great.

The other morning a big truck's back-up horn in the nearby quarry woke me from an implied sex dream with an actor I've crushed on for years. It wasn't graphic sex, but the promise of it, the knowing anticipation, and the obvious fact that he liked me, that made me wish the quarry were inactive. (They appear to be terraforming it like a new planet, we think hoping to sell it to developers. We agree we'll buy the lot directly behind us if it comes to that.)

Not as weird, funny, or exciting as most, but this one I remember, instead of everything drifting away in wisps.

Maryn, who dreams bigger than this most nights

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In 1988 I had a job I loathed. I’d taken it solely to move closer to family, and I’d done so at the urging of my then-wife, and I took it despite many yellow flags during the interview process. Within a month I knew I’d made a mistake, but was contractually obligated to stay a year or pay a substantial finacial penalty. I still, 30+ years later, sometimes dream I’m still there, or somehow was tricked into coming back.

In one such dream, though, while sitting in my little cubicle surrounded by chain-smokers, wondering How the hell am I back here again??, I realized that I was dreaming and could do anything! I was tipping over book cases, running across desks, kicking papers around, leaping over cubicle walls, singing rauchy tunes, and telling everyone they were stuck there but not me because dreeeeeeeeaming!, and then... I woke up and had a sad that it didn’t last longer.

Mattpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to choose, and not because I have so many that are great.

The other morning a big truck's back-up horn in the nearby quarry woke me from an implied sex dream with an actor I've crushed on for years. It wasn't graphic sex, but the promise of it, the knowing anticipation, and the obvious fact that he liked me, that made me wish the quarry were inactive. (They appear to be terraforming it like a new planet, we think hoping to sell it to developers. We agree we'll buy the lot directly behind us if it comes to that.)

Not as weird, funny, or exciting as most, but this one I remember, instead of everything drifting away in wisps.

Maryn, who dreams bigger than this most nights

Waking up from a sex dream just before it gets to the good part. I know that feeling.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Introversion, I graduated from college a great many years ago. I'd been a good student, did the work in a timely manner, got good grades, yada-yada-yada. But to this day, I have "schoolmares" in which I can't find the room where the final is, or arrive at my class the day of the final realizing that I've failed to come to class the entire semester, or that the class is being taught in a language I don't speak but everyone else seems to, things like that.

On the flip side, the academics in my family report schoolmares from the other side, like standing at the lectern with no notes and no idea what class this even is that you're teaching.

Matt, the worst sex dream I ever had was, ah, complete. It starred Ted Danson, and I have no idea why. I don't dislike him, but neither do I like him. I hadn't seen him recently in anything. WTF?

Maryn, who'd select someone else if she got to choose

Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh god, college schoolmares are the worst!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I still occasionally have dreams that I am about to graduate and have one last semester to take five classes, and near the end of the semester I realize I haven't attended or turned in assignments for at least three of them for months.

The instructor's version of this type of dream isn't much fun either. In this, I have a class I discover I should have been teaching but haven't been attending (as the instructor), and it's almost the end, and somehow I have to teach all my students a semester's worth of material in one lecture and give them all their exams in one sitting. Not realistic to think a group of students would sweetly keep coming to a class for a whole semester when their teacher is not in evidence or any kind of communication, but the subconscious isn't exactly logical. I've more recently had weird online teaching versions of this nightmare.

When I was in grad school and prepping for my prelim exams (a series of topical essay exams taken over several days--they basically confirmed that you were allowed to continue in the graduate program after your first two years as a Ph.D. student), I think I took those damned exams dozens of time in my sleep over the weeks of studying for them. I think I imagined every possible question, benign and horrific, my committee could throw at me, so the dreams varied from wonderful "I am all over this" to terrifying "I don't even know what this question is asking!!!"

With the former type of dream, I'd always be so mad when I woke up and realized I still had to take the exams. As it turned out, they went a lot closer to the "good" version of the dream than the bad. I was pretty much all over the questions I was given, so maybe the dreams helped.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Depressing version: I keep dreaming I can go home and visit my parents whenever I want—no masks, lots of hugs, no danger.

Funny version: Probably the Romeo-and-Juliet-esque epic saga. He was a famous environmental activist, and she was the daughter of a construction mogul (is that even a thing?). They fell hopelessly in love and she sabotaged her father's toxic construction projects from the inside. I was about twelve and woke up absolutely tingling from the idea of heartbreaking forbidden love.

Frustrating version: This past weekend I kept dreaming I was cleaning my apartment. I'd wake up and realize I hadn't done ANY of that cleaning in real life. :rant:

Reactions: Sam Argent

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
I dreamt I had written the next Star Wars. It was amazing, with a full, complex, and satisfying plot. Filming was just about complete, and the sets were being transformed into a theme park. I had already made millions, and would never have to struggle again. The best feeling was knowing I'd written a truly good story, and I could wake up and actually write it, and the dream would come true. Then I woke up with not the slightest inkling of an idea what the story was. :e2cry: :e2cry::gaah:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had so many dreams that would make amazing books, but are poof! gone the moment I wake up. If I knew what they were about I might be able to actually get one of them written into a novel.

Back when I was quitting smoking I would have these dreams of amazing peace, wholeness, connectedness to all things in the universe and understanding it all for the simplicity it was. Then I realized I was just having a nic fit in my sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Introversion

Mattpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Funny version: Probably the Romeo-and-Juliet-esque epic saga. He was a famous environmental activist, and she was the daughter of a construction mogul (is that even a thing?). They fell hopelessly in love and she sabotaged her father's toxic construction projects from the inside. I was about twelve and woke up absolutely tingling from the idea of heartbreaking forbidden love.

I guarantee there's a movie with that exact plot.

Mattpwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I dreamt I had written the next Star Wars. It was amazing, with a full, complex, and satisfying plot. Filming was just about complete, and the sets were being transformed into a theme park. I had already made millions, and would never have to struggle again. The best feeling was knowing I'd written a truly good story, and I could wake up and actually write it, and the dream would come true. Then I woke up with not the slightest inkling of an idea what the story was. :e2cry: :e2cry::gaah:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Waking up from an awesome story and not remotely remembering the details. That has happened to me countless times.

H.L.Dyer

Registered
Reaction score
A bit on the somber side (mention of death warning)
but every so often I will get visitation dreams from deceased family members (namely my grandfathers on both sides of the family). The first time I had a dream encounter was a couple of years ago from my grandpa on my mother’s side. He asked what I was doing “here” I was confused and I don’t remember how I responded. He then told me he needed to tell me something important, but as he was telling me I was free falling through my town in my dream and I couldn’t make out what he was saying. Like his voice was muffled. And to this day I really can’t be sure what message he was trying to give me. That’s what irritates me the most.

But my intuition keeps pointing to the idea of him trying to warn me to being there for my mother because she would need my support most (she was battling an intense illness that later came to be diagnosed as stage 4 metastatic breast cancer during that event).
She was originally given a week to live but fought hard to last 2 years before passing this past April. Just last night I actually had another visitation from grandpa and I asked him if mom was with him and he said yes. I asked him if she was happy where she was and he said yes. I then thanked him and told him to tell her I love her and miss her.

Whether or not the dreams were real visitations I don’t even know. i know this was about what dream angered you most to wake from but it gave me some form of comfort and I feel like I can release some of the guilt I’ve been holding onto during my grieving.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
After eating all sorts of junk food that night, I ended up dreaming about being trapped in the most guarded levels of Hell where there were zombies and right before the group of prisoners I was with were about to escape, I woke up. It made me mad as a hornet because I knew darn well that dream was gonna stick with me because my brain would be thinking, 'I'm still trapped in Hell.' Like there was actual anxiety starting to build in my chest. So I remembered everything I could about it, forced myself back to sleep, and then completed my escape.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Several dreams where I'm visiting somewhere beautiful and exotic and impossible, or talking with people who feel like good friends (though when I ask them if they're real, they invariably admit they're not), or where I'm writing/experiencing a story, but the ones I hate waking up from the most are the ones where my cats are back and I know when I wake up they'll be gone again. (It's been years and years since I had cats, and it's not feasible to get more at this point, but dang it, I still miss those boys...)

abbyapplejack

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a vivid dreamer mostly so this happens to me ALL the time! I have to keep a dream journal just so I never forget them. Two that come to mind are:

1) I was somewhere tropical, like Costa Rica, tucked away with a romantic partner in some cosy vacation home (or maybe we lived there). Nothing sexual, but I remember having this emanating feeling of deep reciprocal love for this person...no one I know, just a dream face. It was so strong I felt like I was reliving a past life or something. I've never been in love so waking up from that...ugh...I just wanted to stay, you know? (note: I never wrote this dream down but I'll always remember it)

2) I was in my childhood home as a teenager when my little brother woke up from a nightmare afraid people were out to get him. Turns out, he was right to be afraid. Time travel police were after him for some reason. Chaos ensued at my house as my family tried protecting my brother, my dad is killed by these time police and me, my mom, and my brother flee the house while I'm focused on revenge. It was a trippy dream, it was like time was broken. The further from our house we traveled, we leaped into a different decade (20s, 50s, 90s). I never got to the end of the dream and definitely want to turn this into a book.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
2) I was in my childhood home as a teenager when my little brother woke up from a nightmare afraid people were out to get him. Turns out, he was right to be afraid. Time travel police were after him for some reason. Chaos ensued at my house as my family tried protecting my brother, my dad is killed by these time police and me, my mom, and my brother flee the house while I'm focused on revenge. It was a trippy dream, it was like time was broken. The further from our house we traveled, we leaped into a different decade (20s, 50s, 90s). I never got to the end of the dream and definitely want to turn this into a book.
That sounds super interesting.

Reactions: abbyapplejack